Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Short facebook debate for other people's amusement
Short facebook debate for other people's amusement
Below is a short back and forth that I had with a creationist on facebook. For privacy issues I've marked her as XXXXXXXXX. Enjoy.

XXXXXXXXX If we've really evolved, we've done one hell of a shitty job.
Yesterday at 10:37pm

Patrik - Oh we've evolved. We just haven't progressed in the way most would like.
Yesterday at 10:56pm ·

XXXXXXXXX Eh..nobody's ever gonna convince me.
Yesterday at 11:04pm

Patrik - ? Convince you of what? Evolution? As in, you don't believe in evolution? As in you're a creationist? You can't be serious.
11 hours ago ·

XXXXXXXXX - 100% serious. Sorry to burst your bubble. We're still out here. In very large numbers.
11 hours ago

XXXXXXXXX - Don't worry though, I have a feeling you'll be okay,just thank god that you've evolved past that..oh, wait.
11 hours ago

Patrik - Look, i'm not attacking your personal faith in god, it's just the creationist thing. You gotta let that go. We're 500 years into the scientific era. Even the former Pope, John Paul II had enough sense to accept evolution. If you won't take it from me, a godless unevolved heathen, take it from the pope.
9 hours ago ·

XXXXXXXXX - Eh, the pope has no authority in my life, nor any effect on my beliefs. Look at the example he has set, and anyway I'm not catholic. I don't believe in blind obedience of another flawed human like that, or that we need a middleman between us and God. I have a mind of my own, and I'm not attacking your beliefs either. I'm sure we both have reasons ...
3 hours ago

Patrik - Ms. XXXXXXXXX, I'm gonna blame this one on the Sanford public school system.
54 minutes ago ·

XXXXXXXXX - You can do that if you wish, but for the first half of my schooling, I was taught on various military bases. Nice to see that my intelligence is in question because of my faith though.
41 minutes ago

XXXXXXXXX - Nevermind the fact that I have known how to read since I was 3, and that I was supposed to skip 2 grades in school.
37 minutes ago

Patrik - I'm not saying you're stupid. You might be much smarter than I am for all I know. But somewhere down the road you've been greatly misinformed. I'm certain you didn't start out as a believer of evolution and then in adulthood through careful analysis decided that the garden of eden and a talking snake were the better way to go. You were probably born into the faith through family and community, and Sanford schools didn't exactly do much to convince you otherwise.
19 minutes ago ·

XXXXXXXXX - Again, my beliefs have valid reasons. If you believe in God, then you believe the explanation that he gave as to how we came into existence. He is either telling 100 % truth, or he is a liar. And as far as talking animals go, I'm sure you've seen talking birds haven't you? Why is that easier to believe than any other animal talking. Afterall you believe, as an evolutionist that we evolved from animals don't you? And I believe we do talk.
15 minutes ago

XXXXXXXXX - For what it's worth, I wasn't born into my faith. It's not something I had crammed down my throat from childhood. It's a decision I made. And considering all of the explanations we've been given, yes, the one I chose made the most sense to me. I'm sure your process was similar. There are things out there, in my opinion, that point more to a creator, than just happenstance. And I will gladly agree to disagree.
3 minutes ago

Patrik - Lady, um... wow. You win this one. I'm gonna go out for some fresh air.
about a minute ago ·
My favorite part is the one in which she says "if birds can talk, why can't snakes?" I swear. Why do I even bother? How do you educate a grown, "educated" person? So funny, and yet so sad...
The cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself - Carl Sagan
RE: Short facebook debate for other people's amusement
Quote:XXXXXXXXX - Again, my beliefs have valid reasons. If you believe in God, then you believe the explanation that he gave as to how we came into existence. He is either telling 100 % truth, or he is a liar. And as far as talking animals go, I'm sure you've seen talking birds haven't you? Why is that easier to believe than any other animal talking. Afterall you believe, as an evolutionist that we evolved from animals don't you? And I believe we do talk.

FAIL
Birds are sarcastic assholes.

Your friend is a moron.
Even if God himself came down and boomed at these people.. Look, you've got it all wrong, I used evolution to create the diversity of life here on Earth!! They still wouldn't believe him.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
I agree with Tav. You need smarter friends.

That guy has a terminal case of assholitis.
(April 21, 2010 at 12:49 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I agree with Tav. You need smarter friends.

That guy has a terminal case of assholitis.

Actually it's a girl and she's not anyone I know. We do have a friend in common though and this convo grew out of one of his facebook posts that we both commented on.

But yeah, the talking birds part just kills me.
The cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself - Carl Sagan
Wait a minute, you mean birds can't talk? All my life I've been lied to. Tongue

In all seriousness, this is one of the more polite atheist/creationist exchanges I have seen. While I agree that Ms. X is a dipshit, she's a polite dipshit, at least. Most creationists I've spoken to would have told me I was an idiot and that my parents were heathens by the third post. By the last, I would have been a hooker in Tijuana. Then again, I probably would have told her that she'd have to explain to me how her ancestors weren't dino food before I would entertain one more post from her. Then, if she had danced around my request for an explanation, I would have repeated it over and over with absolutely no modification until she gave up and called me names. So. . . I guess I don't bring out the best in creationists.
This is really soft dude. The bird thing provided sufficient lulz though.
"In our youth, we lacked the maturity, the decency to create gods better than ourselves so that we might have something to aspire to. Instead we are left with a host of deities who were violent, narcissistic, vengeful bullies who reflected our own values. Our gods could have been anything we could imagine, and all we were capable of manifesting were gods who shared the worst of our natures."-Me

"Atheism leaves a man to sense, to philosophy, to natural piety, to laws, to reputation; all of which may be guides to an outward moral virtue, even if religion vanished; but religious superstition dismounts all these and erects an absolute monarchy in the minds of men." – Francis Bacon
Quote:So. . . I guess I don't bring out the best in creationists.

There is no best to bring out, dear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 11424 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  What is a theist other then the basic definition? Quill01 4 710 August 1, 2022 at 11:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  forbidding people to love each other Fake Messiah 210 23910 September 16, 2021 at 1:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Flat Earther, and other conspiracy theories. Are they mostly atheists? Ferrocyanide 95 6404 April 26, 2021 at 3:56 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
  "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me" ignoramus 121 20845 March 5, 2021 at 6:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Religious debate via Meme Foxaèr 324 54232 November 12, 2018 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  A friend of mine posted this on Facebook and couldn't help but laugh GODZILLA 28 4997 March 23, 2018 at 3:49 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Debate: God & Morality: William Lane Craig vs Erik Wielenberg Jehanne 16 3365 March 2, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Proof of Jesus through Personal testimony. Christianity over other faiths orthodox-man 46 8275 January 29, 2018 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Very short argument for God (another clear proof) Mystic 123 23530 January 26, 2018 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Succubus