Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:17 pm

Poll: Are you here to try and (re)convert atheists.
This poll is closed.
Yes
36.36%
4 36.36%
No
63.64%
7 63.64%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To theists
To theists
What are your reasons for being here? Are you trying to convince atheists of the existence of God?
RE: To theists
The mere fact that atheists are coming to a forum called "atheistforums" kind of shows that _most_ of them have a heavy inclination to their current stance already. I didn't come here to necessarily convert atheists, but if given the opportunity why not take it? So, sure, if anyone has a desire to be convinced I'll try my best.
I have seen a few theists come here to actually understand why atheists don't believe. From their perspective, someone not believing is quite incomprehensible.

I am here just to eat free popcorn and cupcakes though (and the occasional babies too, yum!).
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

I have no interest whatsoever in converting anybody.
The gods did not reveal, from the beginning,
All things to us, but in the course of time
Through seeking we may learn and know things better.

These things are, we conjecture, like the truth.

But as for certain truth, no man has known it,
Nor shall he know it, neither of the gods
Nor yet of all the things of which I speak.
And even if by chance he were to utter
The final truth, he would himself not know it:
For all is but a woven web of guesses.

Xenophanes

To theists
(July 13, 2015 at 6:08 am)Kaninchen Wrote: I have no interest whatsoever in converting anybody.

That's because Jews don't convert anyone. Hell all you Jews were supposed to be converted to Christians 2000 years ago. What are you waiting for?
(July 13, 2015 at 6:17 am)KUSA Wrote: That's because Jews don't convert anyone. Hell all you Jews were supposed to be converted to Christians 2000 years ago. What are you waiting for?

Off the top of my head, it's my inherited allergy to proselytisers but, mainly, it's the not believing a word of it that's the problem.

Xenophanes

(July 13, 2015 at 6:41 am)Kaninchen Wrote:
(July 13, 2015 at 6:17 am)KUSA Wrote: That's because Jews don't convert anyone. Hell all you Jews were supposed to be converted to Christians 2000 years ago. What are you waiting for?

Off the top of my head, an inherited allergy to proselytisers but, mainly, it's the not believing a word of it that's the problem.

Interesting, so what is it exactly that you find hard to believe? just curious Angel
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(July 13, 2015 at 6:43 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: Interesting, so what is it exactly that you find hard to believe? just curious  Angel

Since I don't see the 'New Testament' as either scripture or reportage, 'any of it' sort of covers it.

Of course, there are parts of the work that have a relationship to historical events/persons but the fact that there's a Kings Cross Station doesn't mean there's a wizard called Harry Potter either.

Xenophanes

(July 13, 2015 at 5:47 am)SamS Wrote: The mere fact that atheists are coming to a forum called "atheistforums" kind of shows that _most_ of them have a heavy inclination to their current stance already. I didn't come here to necessarily convert atheists, but if given the opportunity why not take it? So, sure, if anyone has a desire to be convinced I'll try my best.

No.

What you could do is, you know, ask why people are here.

I came here to meet new people and say hi to other atheists across the world. I'm from a country where the majority are atheists.

What you'll find are people who are open to being convinced, but only if their (very minimal) benchmarks for being convinced are met. For me, that's evidence that is verifiable, testable and repeatable. Not much to ask. 

But welcome to the forum all the same ^_^
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I've run into quite a few theists that think atheists deep down some where in their unconscious believe, the atheists just don't know it.

I've heard the following story several times: An American company (pre 1988) was performing polygraph tests for employment. During the test the question was asked "Do you believe in god?". When the atheist answered "no" the polygraph registered "lie". The company had performed over 25,000 tests and for all atheists the result was the same.

If the theists want to bang their heads against the wall they can. As far as I'm concerned its just a waste of time and their effort only serves to reinforce their fantasy delusion. I try to refrain from engaging in those discussions/debates.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.