Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Religion for the Non Religious
A Religion for the Non Religious
Hey guys. :Smile

Just thought I'd share something with you that I think you'll appreciate.

First, if you have never heard of the blog called Wait but Why, you need to check it out beyond just the article I'm posting here. Some GREAT stuff on there.

So, this particular article is one that I think you all will enjoy if you have the time and patience to get through the whole thing. It's pretty dang long, but worth the read.

Pretty much everything he says here is stuff I had already thought of, and you probably have too... (and ironically very relevant to my faith, so perhaps we're not so different after all!) ...but the way he illustrates it and lays it all out is pretty awesome! 

Take a look when you have some time, you won't be disappointed, I promise!

http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/10/religion-f...gious.html

Any thoughts?
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
RE: A Religion for the Non Religious
Hmm, all the claims of an apologist. I think he needs to stop insulting the reader.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
A quick skim says I like it. Now to do the dishes and finish the bathroom remodel so my poor wife won't have to work so hard at nagging me.
(July 13, 2015 at 2:47 pm)Dragonetti Wrote: Hmm, all the claims of an apologist. I think he needs to stop insulting the reader.

Lol, did you read it? He's an atheist.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Yes, I have skimmed it. I am jealous of the animals in step 1, which makes me short sighted and stupid. Step 2 is to thin out this magical fog to help being this magical higher being in our heads (WTF). Step 3 is talking about what we do and do not know (similar to the apologist). Yes, this seems to be written by an apologist.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
Ugh...
(July 13, 2015 at 2:57 pm)Dragonetti Wrote: Yes, I have skimmed it. I am jealous of the animals in step 1, which makes me short sighted and stupid. Step 2 is to thin out this magical fog to help being this magical higher being in our heads (WTF). Step 3 is talking about what we do and do not know (similar to the apologist). Yes, this seems to be written by an apologist.

The author, Tim Urban, is an atheist. You can check out the blog and look at other of his posts where he talks about it. He was using those illustrations to make a point and help explain what he's saying.

You really should read the whole thing. Skimming through it doesn't give it justice. It's good stuff! Shy

(July 13, 2015 at 2:59 pm)Napoléon Wrote: Ugh...

Undecided

Hm.. disappointed at the responses. I really thought you guys would like it.

Perhaps you haven't given it a fair chance? It's super long and in depth. I'm doubtful you read the whole thing in such a short amount of time...

-walsh
(July 13, 2015 at 3:01 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Undecided

Hm.. disappointed at the responses. I really thought you guys would like it.

Perhaps you haven't given it a fair chance? It's super long and in depth. I'm doubtful you read the whole thing in such a short amount of time...

I'll be honest, I didn't read the whole thing. But I'd say I read enough bollocks to know when to stop.
(July 13, 2015 at 2:51 pm)whateverist Wrote: A quick skim says I like it.  Now to do the dishes and finish the bathroom remodel so my poor wife won't have to work so hard at nagging me.

Fair enough, I'm glad you're putting your wife first. Now that's a man! Worship

If you ever find yourself with a particularly bad case of diarrhea which puts you in the bathroom for 1 hour or so, consider this article for some toilet bowl reading. I say this because I really do think you will enjoy it, my friend! Shy

-walsh
It reminded me of something that Dilbert creator, Scott Adams, wrote in 1996 in The Dilbert Principle.

Quote:Thousands of people have told me workplace stories (mostly through e-mail) that are even more absurd than the examples above. When I first
started hearing these stories I was puzzled, but after careful analysis I have developed a sophisticated theory to explain the existence of this bizarre
workplace behavior: People are idiots.

Including me. Everyone is an idiot, not just the people with low SAT scores. The only differences among us is that we're idiots about different things at different times. No matter how smart you are, you spend much of your day being an idiot. That's the central premise of this scholarly work.

I proudly include myself in the idiot category. Idiocy in the modern age isn't an all-encompassing, twenty-four-hour situation for most people. It's a condition that everybody slips into many times a day. Life is just too complicated to be smart all the time.

The other day I brought my pager to the repair center because it wouldn't work after I changed the battery. The repairman took the pager out of my hand, flipped open the battery door, turned the battery around, and handed the now functional pager back to me in one well-practiced motion. This took much of the joy out of my righteous indignation over the quality of their product. But the repairman seemed quite amused. And so did every other customer in the lobby.  On that day, in that situation, I was a complete idiot. Yet somehow I managed to operate a motor vehicle to the repair shop and back. It is a wondrous human characteristic to be able to slip into and out of idiocy many times a day without noticing the change or accidentally killing innocent bystanders in the process.

Life is complicated.  So the moment he speaks of "truth" he loses me.  In a time not so long ago we could all agree on "facts"  (a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true) even if we could still disagree on what those facts meant.  These days "facts" seem to be currency for the ignorant to trumpet whenever it suits them ( witness Randy the Dope and his buddy Habermas). 

What is truth?  Climate change?  ( Not to the oil industry.)  Bigfoot?  Ancient Aliens??  God??? ( Only to the lunatic fringe.)  How about 9-11 Truthers?  They have the word 'truth' in their name but facts still seem to elude them.

That article strikes me as word salad by someone with a little too much time on his hands.  He should probably check the battery in his pager.  It might be in backwards.  Oh, right.  Pagers are now obsolete.  See how quickly that happened.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3084 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1842 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2853 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4229 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  More than half of the Uk say they are non-religious downbeatplumb 9 2872 September 5, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
Exclamation new "Cult of 'Non-Beliefism' " aka (the state of being "unlocked") ProgrammingGodJordan 142 14603 January 2, 2017 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  A non-aggressive religion? rado84 24 4700 November 28, 2016 at 12:09 am
Last Post: Brian37
  A Non-Religious Person's Meaning in Life and Death AFTT47 17 5000 January 12, 2016 at 12:52 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  religious discrimination by the reigning majority religion of Christendom Deepthunk 32 10210 October 19, 2015 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Deepthunk
  Worst Thing Said to You for Being a Non-believer Strider 18 8222 October 12, 2015 at 2:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist