Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Administrator / Moderator Notices + Rules Update
New Administrator / Moderator Notices + Rules Update
As most of you probably know, members of staff are chosen out of our regular membership. This means that staff are part of the membership, have posts with their own opinions, and continue to post in a non-official capacity. For a while now, certain members of staff took it upon themselves to try and distinguish their regular posts from their official posts. Though in most cases the tone of a post can be used to determine whether a staff member is speaking officially, to help users out, some staff members would color their post text either green (for moderators) or red (for administrators).

Today we're making it an official thing, and introducing Administrator and Moderator Notices, which look like this:

Administrator Notice

This is an administrator notice.

Moderator Notice

This is a moderator notice.

If you cannot see the above properly, you may need to clear your browser cache.

If you see one of these notices in a thread, please read it, as they will be used by staff to make official statements in the thread which may apply to you. For example, if an argument in a thread is getting heated, a member of staff may use a notice to ask that the participants back off and be more civil.

It is important to note that anyone caught trying to impersonate staff by using these notices will be warned and banned if they continue to do it. This does not apply if you are quoting the notice and responding to it (e.g. to ask for a clarification).

We hope that by introducing these notices, people will be more informed when a member of staff is speaking in an official capacity, and when they are just being a regular forum member.

We are also in the process of updating the rules to make them less ambiguous. This is a lengthy process as we want to be thorough, but we felt it was fair that everyone had some advance notice.

- Tiberius
RE: New Administrator / Moderator Notices + Rules Update
Is it supposed to show up as different colors?
(July 13, 2015 at 5:53 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Is it supposed to show up as different colors?

It should show up as red or green text within a light blue "bubble".
Now I'm seeing red and green text on light blue screens.

Should I get my eyes checked?

Big Grin
(July 13, 2015 at 6:02 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Now I'm seeing red and green text on light blue screens.

Should I get my eyes checked?

Big Grin

Heh, maybe I need to refresh my page or clear my cache. Big Grin
Probably your cache Min. It should resolve automatically for people given a few hours.
Cache cleared - I'm still seeing Admin in red text and Mod in Green both on the light blue screens.  If that's what you wanted, you've got it.
On mobile they show up like this:

X notice

This is a(n) x notice.

(X being administrator or moderator)

Cache cleared
(July 13, 2015 at 6:14 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: On mobile they show up like this:

X notice

This is a(n) x notice.

(X being administrator or moderator)

Cache cleared

Confirmed. We probably should do something to provide visual contrast from ordinary posts.
This is a really great idea.  When a thread grows really fast, it is easy to miss a post.  Having important messages stand out will help prevent problems with that.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Staff Moderator The Valkyrie 20 1287 December 30, 2023 at 8:25 am
Last Post: no one
  PSA: Update to necroposting rule arewethereyet 51 6265 April 3, 2023 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  A Quick Update Tiberius 4 1834 January 22, 2019 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
Star Give a warm welcome to your newest moderator, J a c k!!!! SteelCurtain 39 5512 May 8, 2018 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Everyone say a big "Welcome Back!" to Shell B, our new moderator! Tiberius 43 7053 May 7, 2018 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Privacy Policy Update Tiberius 1 909 October 8, 2017 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Area 69 Rules Update Cyberman 34 5769 July 27, 2017 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Can you figure out The Rules? Tiberius 0 941 April 1, 2017 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Trolling rule update Jackalope 110 18108 February 19, 2017 at 3:39 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Update to the "Quoting Others Inaccurately" rule. Tiberius 25 5690 November 27, 2016 at 9:48 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear