Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hanging up on Hell
Information 
Hanging up on Hell
Almost-atheists and the recently deconverted---Do you sometimes find yourself imagining what it would be like to be super uncomfortable and hurting really, really badly for infinity? It's clear that the threat of torment and suffering for all of eternity is a major hurdle (or at least a lingering fear) for many former believers. Why wouldn't it be?

Because, it's not true.

We, as nonbelievers know that Christians are notorious for cherry picking the shit out of the Good Book that they like and ignoring the shit that they don't. So why do we as ex-Christians even entertain the notion that an actual Hell exists, while shooting down the rest of the arguments for religious belief with such ease that it is SAD to witness. It's honestly unfair to call such an exchange a debate. Musings, speculation, and supposition vs FACTUAL EVIDENCE and REALITY? No contest.
  As I was nearing the end of my journey from being a Christian to atheism, I suddenly became bothered by intrusive thoughts of Hell. I knew that there was no logical reason for those thoughts, but that wasn't stopping these notions from disrupting my life from time to time. Reason and logic weren't getting me anywhere with this particular issue, due to the fact that this fear was completely unjustified and irrational. I knew that I had to go somewhere else for a solution. And, I knew better than to go to the Bible---because religious jibber-jabber offers nothing when trying  to solve a real problem. Especially if it is the source of said problem.  
 My suggestion for anyone dealing with this issue is to go to world history. The rise and fall of the Roman Empire is a an excellent place to start. Gaining insight from a historical perspective as to why and how  the New Testament came to be made things even more clear to me.  The Bible is fiction. The Bible and the doctrine of Hell were deliberately constructed in a desperate attempt save a falling Empire.
  After studying the history, it will be clear that you have been duped by religious dogma and that most of the world is still tuning in. The worries of Hell and damnation will cease. You'll have stopped being scared and start being PISSED that you have been subjected to what is without a doubt the greatest ruse in human history.
Just my two cents.
RE: untitled
In the words of Elsa... let it go.
It's simply because most Christians have the fear of hell beat into them from a young age. That means it can be difficult if impossible to truly get rid of
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Quote:As I was nearing the end of my journey from being a Christian to atheism, I suddenly became bothered by intrusive thoughts of Hell.
Yes, that is why the idea was created.  Most religions are created to control people who have a shitty lot in life in the first place.  Eternal punishment is designed to threaten them with torment even after death so that it really scares the piss out of them.

It works well on the ignorant as can be seen from the theists who infest this forum.  Be happy you have survived.  But when you ask the religitards to study you are going a bridge too far.  It is beyond most of them.
RE: Hanging up on Hell
(July 18, 2015 at 5:40 pm)Thena323 Wrote: Almost-atheists and the recently deconverted---Do you sometimes find yourself imagining what it would be like to be super uncomfortable and hurting really, really badly for infinity? It's clear that the threat of torment and suffering for all of eternity is a major hurdle (or at least a lingering fear) for many former believers. Why wouldn't it be?

Because, it's not true.

We, as nonbelievers know that Christians are notorious for cherry picking the shit out of the Good Book that they like and ignoring the shit that they don't. So why do we as ex-Christians even entertain the notion that an actual Hell exists, while shooting down the rest of the arguments for religious belief with such ease that it is SAD to witness. It's honestly unfair to call such an exchange a debate. Musings, speculation, and supposition vs FACTUAL EVIDENCE and REALITY? No contest.
  As I was nearing the end of my journey from being a Christian to atheism, I suddenly became bothered by intrusive thoughts of Hell. I knew that there was no logical reason for those thoughts, but that wasn't stopping these notions from disrupting my life from time to time. Reason and logic weren't getting me anywhere with this particular issue, due to the fact that this fear was completely unjustified and irrational. I knew that I had to go somewhere else for a solution. And, I knew better than to go to the Bible---because religious jibber-jabber offers nothing when trying  to solve a real problem. Especially if it is the source of said problem.  
 My suggestion for anyone dealing with this issue is to go to world history. The rise and fall of the Roman Empire is a an excellent place to start. Gaining insight from a historical perspective as to why and how  the New Testament came to be made things even more clear to me.  The Bible is fiction. The Bible and the doctrine of Hell were deliberately constructed in a desperate attempt save a falling Empire.
  After studying the history, it will be clear that you have been duped by religious dogma and that most of the world is still tuning in. The worries of Hell and damnation will cease. You'll have stopped being scared and start being PISSED that you have been subjected to what is without a doubt the greatest ruse in human history.
Just my two cents.

You made some good points but why did the Romans use a silly Jewish fairy tale as their vehicle instead of some Roman fairy tale?
Hanging up on Hell
Once you realize how silly the idea of God is, the fear of hell simply goes away.
(July 18, 2015 at 6:00 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:As I was nearing the end of my journey from being a Christian to atheism, I suddenly became bothered by intrusive thoughts of Hell.
Yes, that is why the idea was created.  Most religions are created to control people who have a shitty lot in life in the first place.  Eternal punishment is designed to threaten them with torment even after death so that it really scares the piss out of them.

It works well on the ignorant as can be seen from the theists who infest this forum.  Be happy you have survived.  But when you ask the religitards to study you are going a bridge too far.  It is beyond most of them.
I know. I was referring to those that are 'almost there' in regards to atheism or those that are new to this. I wouldn't bother suggesting this to anyone religious. They'd probably watch a Kirk Cameron history documentary that reaffirmed their faith.
(July 18, 2015 at 6:14 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(July 18, 2015 at 5:40 pm)Thena323 Wrote: Almost-atheists and the recently deconverted---Do you sometimes find yourself imagining what it would be like to be super uncomfortable and hurting really, really badly for infinity? It's clear that the threat of torment and suffering for all of eternity is a major hurdle (or at least a lingering fear) for many former believers. Why wouldn't it be?

Because, it's not true.

Just my two cents.

You made some good points but why did the Romans use a silly Jewish fairy tale as their vehicle instead of some Roman fairy tale?

The way the metaphorical wind was blowing, from what I understand. A politically convenient decision to ensure the continued stability of the empire.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
[Image: good-company-in-hell.jpg]

Also Angelina Jolie is an atheist? Since when? Omg I love her so much
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

And Brad Pitt.

*edit, just realised he's in the same fucking picture. Derrrp.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  People are not 'Going to Hell' - they're already in Hell. The Kreisel 22 2385 February 18, 2021 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir