Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:08 am

Poll: Should atheists be grateful to the pope for his willingness to redeem us?
This poll is closed.
Yes
0%
0 0%
No
74.19%
23 74.19%
Maybe
0%
0 0%
No opinion
3.23%
1 3.23%
Fuck all polls
22.58%
7 22.58%
Total 31 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us..." should we be grateful?
"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us..." should we be grateful?
Sorry Cath-y but I've been reading this in your signature line.  I'm conflicted because, on the one hand, I like the current pope for his inclusiveness and reasonableness.  On the other hand being "redeemed" is right up there with being "prayed for".  Neither does me any discernable good.  I just hear them as people wishing me well.  Not really sure what else to do with it.

Still if I was a believer an inclusive god would be less of an embarrassment than a nit picky one.  That is all.
RE: "The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us..." should we be grateful?
The triumph of Christianity was to invent an illness ("You're all doomed!") and announce itself as the only cure.
The gods did not reveal, from the beginning,
All things to us, but in the course of time
Through seeking we may learn and know things better.

These things are, we conjecture, like the truth.

But as for certain truth, no man has known it,
Nor shall he know it, neither of the gods
Nor yet of all the things of which I speak.
And even if by chance he were to utter
The final truth, he would himself not know it:
For all is but a woven web of guesses.

Xenophanes

Please point me to something I did that required redemption afterward.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
Willingness to redeem us implies that we are in need of redemption. I for one find that deeply insulting.

Fuck him, with his condescending bullshit and protecting child rapists. He's no better than any other pope.
Jesus should redeem bottles and cans.

[Image: recycling_jesus_tshirts-r0b191984101c4a2...gs_324.jpg]
For the things that I need redemption from, he does not have the power, authority or ability.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Redeems us? That goes along the lines of saying he saves us. The question is, from what exactly? He cursed people and the land for being disobeyed by people who didn't know the difference between good and evil. He created a place of fire and torment to throw people in for not worshiping him, and just to make it difficult he requires us to believe without evidence. He makes it as hard as possible to get to him, with people dying en masse over how to interpret the bible, in some views created a pit of fire where you suffer eternally for not saying the right words to the right guy within the right timeframe, and we're supposed to be grateful for something.

It seems like he's the problem. It would be preferable to just get rid of him altogether, but apparently we can't. It all boils down to having to bend the knee to a guy because he's more powerful that you, and you don't have any chice in the matter. Either devote your life to the monster, or piss it off.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

No. It's marketing.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I say no because..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4qzPbcFiA
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Yeah, no, fuck him. I get that he's a lot better than Darth Hideous, but I don't give a shit about being redeemed. If he really wants to impress me, he can release the names of all their child molestors and their protectors, allow an outside inquiry into the pedophilia cover-ups, and give a large chunk of that mountain of money the Vatican is sitting on to the poor.

That would be a start, at least.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jesus as Lord - why is this appealing to so many? KevinM1 307 29440 February 14, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Brazilian woman has spent years praying to Lord of the Rings doll Cyberman 41 5451 January 8, 2017 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Love the Lord your God with all your heart ? Angrboda 144 22912 June 20, 2016 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  "For the lord thy god is a jealous god among you." Socratic Meth Head 52 8746 June 8, 2016 at 10:10 am
Last Post: RozKek
  Reach a lost and dying world for the Lord Jesus Christ.. TubbyTubby 30 6645 March 16, 2015 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Pastor: Sometimes you have to punch kids for the lord. Faith No More 63 19508 January 12, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Billion + believe in Satan. Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism? Greatest I am 20 5062 December 2, 2014 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  "I prayed to the Lord and God said ‘Open up a pot shop'" null--69 5 2292 February 27, 2014 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  Proof of Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ Almighty FlyingNarwhal 2 1985 June 15, 2013 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: max-greece
  Lord Carey attacks PM over Christian 'support' Darwinian 6 2877 March 30, 2013 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist