Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Men Who are Bad at Video Games More Likely to Show Hostility to Women
Men Who are Bad at Video Games More Likely to Show Hostility to Women
Quote:A new study which attempted to explain the sexist reactions of men when traditionally male environments (read: online multiplayer video games) are invaded by women has discovered that “lower-skilled” male players were more hostile to female teammates. Or, as PCGamesN put it, “the worst players were more likely to be the biggest assholes.”

http://jezebel.com/men-who-are-bad-at-vi...1718558486

From the study abstract:

Quote:We show that lower-skilled players were more hostile towards a female-voiced teammate, especially when performing poorly. In contrast, lower-skilled players behaved submissively towards a male-voiced player in the identical scenario. 

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article...ne.0131613

Apparently, being incompetent is associated with discrimination against women.  I have to say, that fits with my experience in the world.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
RE: Men Who are Bad at Video Games More Likely to Show Hostility to Women
Butthurt n00bs lol
My experience also. Case in point, when I've worked with females in a position of power over men, many would lower the pitch of their voice (consciously or unconsciously) when communicating with male underlings.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 17, 2015 at 3:03 pm)Pyrrho Wrote:
Quote:A new study which attempted to explain the sexist reactions of men when traditionally male environments (read: online multiplayer video games) are invaded by women has discovered that “lower-skilled” male players were more hostile to female teammates. Or, as PCGamesN put it, “the worst players were more likely to be the biggest assholes.”

http://jezebel.com/men-who-are-bad-at-vi...1718558486

From the study abstract:

Quote:We show that lower-skilled players were more hostile towards a female-voiced teammate, especially when performing poorly. In contrast, lower-skilled players behaved submissively towards a male-voiced player in the identical scenario. 

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article...ne.0131613

Apparently, being incompetent is associated with discrimination against women.  I have to say, that fits with my experience in the world.

When I practiced law I found that really good attorneys weren't the least threatened by growing numbers of women in the field.  Guys barely making it were.  Go figure.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
its called prescription grade git gud
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
It makes sense. When you're not very good in comparison to X or Y player (who are better than you and have higher skills and stats) you need to find someone to bully to make you feel better - Obviously women are an easy target - Even if there are more women online, many are still afraid to speak out and say "I'm a female" because that alone can get you sexually abusive mail and random sex requests, harassment, etc - So there's a perception that women are easier targets, and of course they're dumb at games so you can mock them.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(July 17, 2015 at 3:03 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: Apparently, being incompetent is associated with discrimination against women.  I have to say, that fits with my experience in the world.

Yeah, but that's one study that doesn't surprise me much. Kind of goes with the territory of these kinds of games. Not that every player would fall into that category, but they certainly attract more self declared macho men than city builders or mainstream RPGs.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(July 17, 2015 at 4:54 pm)abaris Wrote:
(July 17, 2015 at 3:03 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: Apparently, being incompetent is associated with discrimination against women.  I have to say, that fits with my experience in the world.

Yeah, but that's one study that doesn't surprise me much. Kind of goes with the territory of these kinds of games. Not that every player would fall into that category, but they certainly attract more self declared macho men than city builders or mainstream RPGs.

The interesting thing is, the good players don't tend to treat women like shit in the game.  So it isn't simply a question of who plays the game.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(July 17, 2015 at 5:00 pm)Pyrrho Wrote:
(July 17, 2015 at 4:54 pm)abaris Wrote: Yeah, but that's one study that doesn't surprise me much. Kind of goes with the territory of these kinds of games. Not that every player would fall into that category, but they certainly attract more self declared macho men than city builders or mainstream RPGs.

The interesting thing is, the good players don't tend to treat women like shit in the game.  So it isn't simply a question of who plays the game.

Perhaps - And I'm not saying I have any empirical evidence, it's just a speculation - Good players know hardwork, technique and skills count more than what gender you identify with and anyone can become a brilliant player.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(July 17, 2015 at 5:00 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: So it isn't simply a question of who plays the game.

No, it isn't. But the shitheads are more attracted to competitive action than to other kinds of games. As I said, not everyone playing these games falls into that category, but my personal observation is, you find your share of knuckleheads there. More than in other online activities.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which TV game show would you win? Fake Messiah 6 803 January 18, 2023 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  The prevalence of HIV among gay men darnwelling 30 1781 January 11, 2023 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: darnwelling
  A question for the straight men Catholic_Lady 87 12469 January 11, 2023 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Smart women Ahriman 41 3694 December 18, 2022 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Little green men just got real. ignoramus 87 6876 July 7, 2021 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The army is one of the best examples of gender inequality towards MEN Macoleco 64 5132 February 18, 2021 at 8:04 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Real Men onlinebiker 111 4885 January 28, 2020 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  International Women and girls in Science Day! Divinity 9 919 February 11, 2019 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  What's your area's bad ass bug(s)? Gawdzilla Sama 23 1681 November 4, 2018 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  The No Good, Bad Luck Thread Bob Kelso 4 341 September 12, 2018 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: brewer