Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone In The Seattle Area?
Anyone In The Seattle Area?
Quote: [url=http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20][/url]
The Really Big One
An earthquake will destroy a sizable portion of the coastal Northwest. The question is when.
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/0...ly-big-one

Hopefully this is more alarmist than real.
RE: Anyone In The Seattle Area?
Close enough, for that sort of thing.
Someone ought to tell the New Yorker about the megavolcano under Yellowstone. They'll shit bricks.
There is geological evidence of BIG earthquakes in the Pacific northwest and Japanese annals confirming the resultant tsunamis reaching Japan.

As always, earthquakes are damn hard to predict, and that's the rub. Tomorrow or 200 years from now? They dunno, And when they say 'big' they're talking Fukushima Daiishi size. It would be nice to pin it down even a little for 'when'.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

No, it's probably pretty accurate. There's a lot of torsion in the plates up there, due to the tectonic motion and the physical layout.

Just wait til the big one and everything east of the San Andreas slides into the Atlantic.

In all seriousness - I've lived practically in the shadow of volcanoes most of my life, including one that's been active for much of that.

Not going to lose much sleep over it, tbh.
Supervolcanoes and Mega Earthquakes.

Damn GAYZZZ!!!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I read an interesting in depth article about the super quake that area is over due for. Unfortunately I think the guy who made the prediction knows of what he speaks. He predicted the big one in Japan that took out a atomic reactor. Apparently that quake lasted over 4 minutes. I've never experienced anything close to that. They say the fault in the Northwest has the potential for a quake in the low 9's, a super one. By comparison our local, more notorious San Andreas is said to cap out at 8.3. Good luck up there Chthulu. They said everything West of I5 will be toast. Are you on high ground, the tsunami is expected to d the most damage.
I'm 70 miles inland, though I'm maybe 2 miles from the Columbia River (maybe 100 river miles from the Pacific. I would hope that's not *everything* west of I-5 since I can look east and see it. Tongue

Ain't losing any sleep over it.
Yeah, I'd feel lucky to live long enough to see it. Well you know, until I didn't.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do not dumb here. Not a dumb area. no one 16 1259 June 5, 2020 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  What's your area's bad ass bug(s)? Gawdzilla Sama 23 1730 November 4, 2018 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  I'm organizing a donation drive for the unsheltered homeless in my area Jackalope 38 3501 February 17, 2018 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  post pic of your workspace/pc area/personal lair Marsellus Wallace 33 4981 September 2, 2015 at 4:38 am
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  Area 69 Reborn Fruity 42 7236 March 26, 2014 at 6:56 pm
Last Post: truthBtold
  Area 69 Fruity 104 17535 October 31, 2013 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Violet
  area 69 paulpablo 3 1075 January 12, 2013 at 5:35 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Famous people from your area. 5thHorseman 23 7298 April 13, 2012 at 4:12 am
Last Post: leo-rcc
  Secret atheist only area fr0d0 62 14235 October 3, 2010 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Tiberius