Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 7:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hotmail + Email Notifications
Hotmail + Email Notifications
Hi everyone,

A few days ago Hotmail / Outlook / Live started blocking all outbound emails from our domain. I'm looking into why this has happened, but for now, emails from @atheistforums.org will not get through to any Microsoft based email accounts; that includes any email notifications (i.e. PM notifications) and registration emails.

What is more frustrating is that Hotmail don't seem to publish a way of getting off their blocklist, so for now we are a bit stuck. Other email providers are still accepting emails, as far as I can tell.

Since a large number of people on this site are using Microsoft email addresses, I had to delete the forum / thread subscriptions (a backup is stored) because I was getting literally hundreds of email errors being sent to me.

I'll look into the issues and try to get the service back to normal, though I'm not sure how long that is going to take, as I don't really have experience in this area. If anyone has experience setting up a mail server and wants to contact me via PM, that would be appreciated.

- Tiberius
RE: Hotmail + Email Notifications
It might be that a lot of members have reported notifications of threads they no longer follow as spam rather than just removing the subscription, and that happened enough times that Micro$oft blacklisted the forum IP.

ETA: http://www.rackaid.com/blog/hotmail-blacklist-removal/
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Update: I believe I've fixed the issue. We're now using an external mail system for sending emails; hopefully that will hold up.
(July 20, 2015 at 2:11 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I don't really have experience in this area.

What's that? Something about computers Tibs doesn't know about. I thought the rapture would come before this day.
(July 20, 2015 at 3:30 pm)Napoléon Wrote:
(July 20, 2015 at 2:11 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I don't really have experience in this area.

What's that? Something about computers Tibs doesn't know about. I thought the rapture would come before this day.

Mail servers are the devil. Actually, include anything email related in that statement and it would be more accurate. I leave this stuff to people who have more patience than I.