Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 6:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life Is Short; Have an Affair
Almost seven years ago on a Sunday, I spent the day watching football at the bar with some friends and my (at the time) boyfriend. Once the afternoon games were over, we decided to go back to our house to watch the night game and maybe BBQ something to eat. Everyone was tired, though, and everyone went home after the first half. I went to the kitchen to cook our Lab's dinner, and while it was cooling, I walked into the living room where my boyfriend was sitting lengthwise on the couch, looking at my laptop. I knelt down, gave him a kiss, and noticed he was in the middle of writing an email to...

Me: "Bob (not his real name), who's Ashley Madison?"

Bob: Blank stare.

Me thinking: "Ashley Madison Ashley Madison Ashley Madison... I know that name."

Bob: Blank stare

I knew something was up, but I couldn't put my finger on it, and all he was doing was staring, so I floated out to our back patio, opened a beer, and started thinking.  Then it dawned on me:

A couple of weeks earlier, Bob (a contractor) didn't have any work to do, so he was home for the day. About midday, we were snuggling on the couch: I was reading, Bob was watching Jerry Springer and the like. He turned it up a little when the Tyra Banks show came on.  He said, "this looks interesting!" And I went back to reading.

When I looked up, I paid attention for a minute to learn that the guests for the day were the owner and some patrons of a dating site for "discreet" relationships called Ashleymadison.com.  Bob and I joked about it for a few minutes, and I went back to reading.

Fast forward to the night of my story:

I don't really remember what went down that night, for sure, as I had been drinking all day, and I was in a rare rage. We had been together for five years, and he had been practically begging me to marry him for months until, I thought, I was able to get him to see why I didn't want to get married.  But I digress...

He insisted he was "just curious" and he hadn't paid for anything, but being this was the second time he had been caught doing something like this, I didn't believe him.  Fool me once and all that...

The next morning, I kicked him out, and I started doing some nosing around. By nature, I'm not a nosy person, but in this case I felt, and still feel, justified. First, I logged in to his bank account (what an idiot) to find that, sure enough, he paid for the service. I used the account number listed on his bank account and I guessed twice (TWICE!) at his password before I got in, and sure enough: a string of emails back and forth with some chick emerged, including one in which Bob wrote, "great news! My girlfriend just enrolled in night classes downtown, so we'll have more time to spend together!"

I won't go into the boring details, but that was the end of our relationship.

Today, my mom called to tie up loose ends before I leave for my family reunion on Friday, and she also wanted to gab about Ashley Madison, because apparently, they got hacked!  I find it hilarious.

What do you guys think of a site like AM, and how do you feel about the details of their hack?

Here's a link to one of the articles:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/20/technolo...ison-hack/
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
RE: Life Is Short; Have an Affair
Hell if I know why, but you all know me here as a sometimes promiscuous gay male, but I find the whole Ashley Madison crap odious in the extreme.

Don't know why it rubs me the wrong way, I'd never use it, and can't imagine a single gay male I know that ever would either. (and not that we are 'conventional' moral paragons or anything like that) but it just seems really scuzzy.

Hell if I know why it irks, it just does.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

If you want to bang someone else, the way I see it you have two options: 1)Tell her you want to break up, or 2) Tell her and see if she's cool with it. This sneaking around crap is some pussy bullshit.

Sucks that it takes on average 5 years to find out someone is a piece of shit.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
I don't believe in betraying the trust of someone that is close to me. Cheating websites are awful.
Assholes vs assholes. Fight!!!
I have no problems with stupid cheaters having their personal cheats exposed.  Fuck them.  (And I mean that in a bad way. Wink)

Hacking sites is illegal and ought not be done, yada, yada, yada, but if you are a dumbfuck who uses your credit card to cheat, you are asking to get caught.  And doing things online is just asking for someone else to know about it.  Right now, there may well be some NSA creep who is jacking off to some nude photo you posted online, in your "private" online thing.  Yeah, "private" and online!  Dumbasses!

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(July 21, 2015 at 10:05 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Hell if I know why, but you all know me here as a sometimes promiscuous gay male, but I find the whole Ashley Madison crap odious in the extreme.

Don't know why it rubs me the wrong way, I'd never use it, and can't imagine a single gay male I know that ever would either.  (and not that we are 'conventional' moral paragons or anything like that) but it just seems really scuzzy.

Hell if I know why it irks, it just does.

I could list a hundred ways it irks me!
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
I would love to know who hacked AshleyMadison, purely because I think they deserve an award and I'd personally want to buy them a drink myself.

I can't stand cheats of any sexual orientation, I'm one of those sad romantics who likes the idea of long term monogamy and marriage so to have some shitbag purposefully setting up a site to rock the boat...Well I think the owner and anyone who uses that site is a cunt to put it plainly.

It's not for me but while I won't say anything against the promiscuous, I most certainly will against someone who swore to God/the Courts/whatever they hold dear that they were going to make a commitment and stick to it and doesn't have the spine to ask for a divorce/break up.

On one hand I realize I shouldn't be applauding this kind of hack, but on the other...People have a right to know if their spouse/boyfreind/girlfreind is cheating, who knows what kind of STD's they could be making themselves open to?
I don't agree with this establishment, I wouldn't feel very good about myself using or running a website helping people cheat. However, I think if people are going to cheat, they'll cheat, regardless of whether they have a website to help them do it. It's a habit with some people.

Do I feel sympathy for the people getting their details leaked? Maybe, depends. Cheating isn't a black and white issue to me, I don't think people should jump to it so easily but you don't always know what's going on between a couple, if it's an abusive partner that's driven someone to cheat. Wouldn't have much sympathy if it was just a habitual cheating asshole who got their details leaked though.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

What do I think of them?

I dislike them intensely.

If you want to screw around, don't get into a relationship. And if you're in a relationship and you want to screw around, be honest with your partner and end it.

Good on you for kicking Bob to the kerb.
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  They’re All Fucking Short-Bus People brewer 20 1271 May 21, 2021 at 11:07 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  45, "Short range missiles... Meh"........ Brian37 7 405 August 2, 2019 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  ‘Nothing short of treasonous’ Minimalist 108 13316 July 25, 2018 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The White House is Now Short One Nazi Minimalist 5 1298 April 30, 2017 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: Jackalope