Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 8:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Truth is Stranger than Fiction
Truth is Stranger than Fiction
In one of my screenwriting online classes I read one of the students mention that he thinks people who believe "Everything happens for a reason" must watch a lot of movies and TV shows. Because it is really only with them that everything always happens for a reason. So as to be interesting, of course. But in real life things often are very different in ways that bring to mind "Truth is stranger than fiction." Who else agrees with me?
RE: Truth is Stranger than Fiction
They are correct!
Everything does happen for a reason. It's just that the reason is not usually the one they think it is!

(It's in newton's 3 laws)
I'm sorry Cynthia, for being boring, reality usually is.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Yeah, the reason isn't necessarily the entire fabric of the universe organising around some hippie chick so she can meet an ex-flame in Starbucks. . . "like omg I almost never go into Starbucks but I just had this. . . feeling. . . ya know?"
It's just a lack of critical thinking that leads to such "happens for a reason" conclusions, unless the reason is simply whatever caused the thing to happen. Which is an unremarkable observation. It's gibberish, and sometimes arrogant, especially when the series of events happen at the expense of others.

Indeed, I'm sure the truth is far more intricate and strange than any of the relatively simplistic fictions people come up. We've had but a glimpse of it, which is why some people are so desperate to fill in the gaps with the nearest available horse shit.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Everything happens for a reason is one of my pet peeve catchphrases.

Shit happens. It doesn't give a fuck why you think it does.
(July 22, 2015 at 3:54 am)Neimenovic Wrote: Everything happens for a reason is one of my pet peeve catchphrases.

Shit happens. It doesn't give a fuck why you think it does.

I agree, I used to think/say "things happen for a reason". Now I just think, things happen. People chose to give meanings to actions that have nothing to do with anything or if its something terrible, I suppose the phrase "things happen for a reason" offers people some kind of solace...
QuarkDriven  
   KCCO
North NJ l USA l Earth
Milky Way l The Universe

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Is The Truth. disobey 81 6634 August 21, 2023 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  What is truth. deepend 50 3026 March 31, 2022 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The Truth deepend 130 4827 March 24, 2022 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The Truth about Ethnicity onlinebiker 41 2659 September 2, 2020 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Does the head follow the heart in matters of truth? Angrboda 63 8865 March 19, 2018 at 7:42 am
Last Post: John V
  ...Truth? Definitely Disillusioned 93 19041 June 30, 2017 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  The Nature Of Truth WisdomOfTheTrees 5 1050 February 21, 2017 at 5:30 am
Last Post: Sal
  Is there objective Truth? Soldat Du Christ 455 47846 November 7, 2016 at 5:39 am
Last Post: GUBU
  A question for those who believe truth is not absolute GrandizerII 92 8084 July 21, 2016 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: quip
  Liking your Truth henryp 39 8299 January 4, 2016 at 1:39 am
Last Post: Heat