Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The appeal of the end
The appeal of the end
Some of you know I am not like other people.  It is not an act I present online, but it is actually how I am in real life.

I am an anti-theist, but I cannot claim the same label of humanitarian as other atheists.  

The world can burn, people can die, and I do not care.  I could be perfectly content being the last remaining person alive on the planet, or at least one of a few survivors.

People are not my forte, and they never will be.  I am not an actor, and pretending only gets me so far for a very short period of time.  I am not motivated by the same ideals as others; a job offers money, big deal.  The money is not an incentive for me to behave against my nature.  I only last so long in social situations before I completely go mad and reveal myself as the socially anxious individual that I am.

I suppose that I could attempt to seek therapy.  I could.  I could.  I don't want to.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: The appeal of the end
Have you always been like this?
Have you been hurt by religion?
Are you Australian?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 22, 2015 at 12:55 am)Kitan Wrote: I could be perfectly content being the last remaining person alive on the planet, or at least one of a few survivors.

I'm not convinced. You've posted here an average of 6.5 times/day for over two years. It's not in the flesh but you seem to like conversation.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
I dislike the human race as a whole. I would prefer we all died out. So I'm with you on that point at least.

Do you care about (other) animals?

Edit: This raises one of the most difficult questions about morality I could think of, from my perspective. It's a ludicrous scenario, but interesting anyway.

If I had a one time opportunity to wipe out the whole of the human race, perhaps to rewind time to before things evolved in our direction and somehow ensuring nothing with our destructive power would evolve again... should I do it? I understand most people would wonder why I would even consider it. I get that. I'm not normal in this regard. I'm viewing things from the point of view of the wellbeing of all life on Earth and its future.

If I alter this so that the human race is about to get rewound as above, and I have a one time opportunity to stop it happening and make things continue as normal, is this an equivalent question, or not?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Personally I think the Reapers from Mass Effect had the right idea.
(July 22, 2015 at 2:23 am)robvalue Wrote: I'm viewing things from the point of view of the wellbeing of all life on Earth and its future.

Well, if you are concerned about the future of the wellbeing of all life on Earth then you wouldn't want to rewind humanity. In a billion years the sun will be so hot no life will be able to exist on the surface of the Earth. The only chance that life on Earth will escape it's inevitable destruction is if us Humans can get our shit together and get the hell off this rock.

If we can manage that we'll be taking a lot of Earth life with us. All kinds of plants and animals or at least most of their genetic codes to revive the various species later on.

The chances of another intelligent species evolving and having the ability to create space travel on this rock in the next billion years is pretty slim.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
[Image: yyy.jpg]

Very appealing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Poll To End All Polls no one 12 1031 February 5, 2019 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Do you know why the end of the month is still too far away? Foxaèr 15 2415 April 22, 2018 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The end of this month cannot come fast enough Foxaèr 22 4345 April 15, 2018 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: c172
  At the end of my tolerance notimportant1234 4 488 January 26, 2018 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: notimportant1234
  Biological Strategy to end Racism chimp3 46 3706 September 26, 2016 at 12:49 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Ghost Busters 2 - End of the world dyresand 4 891 February 15, 2016 at 2:06 am
Last Post: dyresand
  How will the planet end? Aoi Magi 34 3975 August 21, 2015 at 12:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Well all good things must come to a end dyresand 13 2726 August 9, 2015 at 7:17 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Your end of the world party! Iroscato 13 2664 April 26, 2015 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  If we knew the world was going to end..... CapnAwesome 29 3281 March 7, 2015 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: robvalue