Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 3:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Get to know your staff - leo-rcc
Get to know your staff - leo-rcc
Quote:How many languages can you speak and does it surprise/annoy you that the English are so bad at learning other languages and just assume everyone else will speak theirs?

I speak Dutch, German, and English. It doesn't bother or annoy me either way, and I do have friends in the UK that also speak German. What does annoy me is that people from Walon refuse to speak flemish even if they full well know how to. I guess that is the same for French people in Flanders.

Quote:How many "robot wars" competitions have you won?

The official Robot Wars by Mentorn, none. In fact, in the heavyweight division I never go past the second round in any competition. I did enter Robotwars 5 times in total. 2 times for the Dutch Championships, 1 time for the German Championships, and twice for the UK/European Championships (all these are recorded in the same weeks, so we usually did more than one championship at the same time).

Our team (I don't do this alone) won the German Championship in the featherweight division (weightclass up to 13.6kg)5 times, 4 times in the Antweight division (150 grams), and the Raptor division (up to 6kg) 1 time. We also won the Antweight World Series once, and came second twice. We came second in the XFM featherweight european Championships, and second in the Robochallenge European Championships for up to 6kg.

The one prize I am most proud of is the Tanja Smith Memorial prize. This one is in honor and memory of the daughter of the Chairman of the Fighting Robots Association who was killed in a car accident.

Quote:Who did what on constructing your battle bot?

Well that depends. Our team has changed members quite a few times, so in the beginning I did the electronics, mechanical builds and design. Later on, I only did the design and build together with Mario de Jongh who does the lathing and milling. Rick Maas is now our go-to guy for electronics as he is way better than I.

Quote:If you could retire, financially independently, what would you do with your life?
I would emigrate back to Guernsey, or Jersey if that is not possible, with a nice house and a big workshop. Apart from that I wouldn't do that much different as I do now. I work hard and play hard.

Quote:What did you do when you spent the night with Adrian last year?
Have a bit of Spaghetti Bolognese and went to sleep early as I got up very early to catch the ferry. Sorry it wasn't more exciting. Smile

Quote:Does Leo own any guns?
Yes, a .22 Long Rifle from Anshutz and a Feinwerkbau 300S.

Quote:Did you ever have doubts about your sexual orientation ?

Not really. I always have had a preference for women but was never averse to men either. I did have a girlfriend who was transsexual. After we broke up (which was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life) I had some relationships with men and women, but I never really doubted my sexuality. I had a serious relationship with a girl when I was 22. We were in the planning stage of marriage. When I discovered she was sleeping around I was so devastated that I never actively engaged in a relationship again.

Well that's it for me. Thanks for the questions and I hope these answers are satisfactory. If you have more questions you can PM them and I'll add them at a later time. I had to do this a bite early as I have a robot event tomorrow.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
RE: Get to know your staff - leo-rcc
Awesome Leo Smile

I met my cousin's husband the other week. He's 78 and works every day fixing people's cars for nothing. He lives in his overalls, happy and fit. I can just imagine you the same there Smile
RE: Get to know your staff - leo-rcc
(April 23, 2010 at 5:54 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Awesome Leo Smile

I met my cousin's husband the other week. He's 78 and works every day fixing people's cars for nothing. He lives in his overalls, happy and fit. I can just imagine you the same there Smile

Except for the fit part. Smile

Extra question that came in yesterday:
Quote:How did you get to be so cool? Thinking

Years of practice. Wink
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Staff Log - Bannings, Reports, and Other Actions Darwinian 3265 758982 April 16, 2024 at 4:52 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  New Staff Moderator The Valkyrie 20 1368 December 30, 2023 at 8:25 am
Last Post: no one
  Staff Changes BrianSoddingBoru4 32 6281 November 23, 2020 at 10:45 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  The "Report" button, and how not to treat your staff. Jackalope 71 27945 February 9, 2020 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: brewer
  New Guidelines for Staff Correspondence Shell B 3 1318 June 8, 2018 at 11:48 am
Last Post: brewer
  Get to know your staff [UPDATED] Losty 534 43163 February 16, 2018 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Staff Interviews - Tiberius Tiberius 103 13926 November 19, 2016 at 10:07 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Staff Interviews - Losty (Plus our NEW YouTube channel!) Tiberius 72 16003 November 5, 2016 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Staff Interviews - Stimbo Tiberius 33 6351 October 13, 2016 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Staff Interviews - robvalue Tiberius 81 10036 October 6, 2016 at 2:45 am
Last Post: robvalue