Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Body confidence campaigners try to redesign video game women
Body confidence campaigners try to redesign video game women
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/lara-croft-red...ml#t2fvZPZ

Quote:Female video games characters, including Lara Croft, have been redesigned to look like real women, thanks to body confidence campaigners.
Ten popular female characters have been altered in Photoshop to give them more realistic body dimensions, replacing the unrealistically idealised versions of women that they currently represent.
The new character images are the work of eating disorder site bulimia.com.

“Some gaming studios boast their hyper-realistic lighting techniques, touting natural cloud movements as the latest features of their games. And with that kind of attention to detail, it makes us wonder, why can’t they accurately portray the female body?”.

[Image: a8726a94331909ee29a361bb1689060e]

Facepalm
RE: Body confidence campaigners try to redesign video game women
Lol They've given them all the same body type. That's much more representative!

Remember ladies, if you're skinny, you're not a real woman,
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Gamers definitely needs to address the issue of the objectification of women in gaming, but this is just an absurd way to tackle the issue.  They want to make characters look average, but the reason we play as those characters in games is precisely because they're not average.  They're super-humans that can do things we can't in real life, and their character models reflect that.  What's really stupid, though, is they're trying to make these character models out to be an objectification of women, but the character models of men are just as absurd.

Please, it's fantasy, people.  It's not meant to reflect real life, and I doubt seeing a pixelated skinny woman with huge boobs on a video game does near as much damage as the magazine and internet ads of real woman peddling beauty that are marketed directly at young, impressionable females.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Correct me if I'm wrong but in the new Tomb Raider game and with the obvious transformation and evolution of the gaming industry's technological and financial capabilities, hasn't Lara Croft and other videogame characters been redesigned and made to look more realistic? I mean, the few times I played TR 2013 I was under the impression that her boobs looked considerably smaller and she looked less like a doll (like in previous games) and more like someone I could meet in real life.

I don't enjoy the barbie type with unrealistic bodies, if anything it looks excessively pretty and since games are required to cater to what's realistic specially when it comes to graphic quality it seems contradicting to use similar body types all the time. It is possible to create attractive and athletic characters without going for barbie types, and it's an idea I fully support.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

The whole point is that all of these characters are meant to be skinny/fit/good looking. It's like complaining that batman doesn't represent the 'average' person because he's buff. It makes no fucking sense and is just another excuse for the PC social justice Tumblr crowd to whore for attention.
Because Laura Croft would be toned, they need to use a real female athlete as a basis. I don't think that most women care that their characters don't look average. I'd be happy with a happy medium or at least a female character whose waist is not smaller than her head.

I've played almost all the Tomb Raider games. How does someone with that small a waist and those large of breast stand up? The average female head is 21 inches(Yes, I looked it up) That means that Laura's waist is maybe 19 inches and her breast are double D's and perky. I know she is a fantasy but she isn't my fantasy. Maybe they could make her more like the athletes in the link below. I don't really like the second woman because she looks too much like me and, take my word for it, I can't jump from platform to platform. Plus, I don't want to play as me-if that makes sense.

http://theathleticbuild.com/the-top-50-h...s-of-2015/
I think this is all overblown. Computer games are an easy scapegoat, especially for people who don't play them or understand them.

Games aren't necessarily meant to be realistic, nor are they educational. Anyone who is forming opinions about women based significantly on computer games has many much more serious problems going on in my opinion.

Pretending everyone is the same is hardly the answer either!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Although I agree that it would be good to have more realistic choices (and certainly that there should be less objectification of women), I think many people fail to realize why things like Barbie look the way they do.  When looking at something in miniature, it is harder to see detail, and so characteristics are often exaggerated to make them more apparent.  Barbie is not intended to be realistic; she is intended to be obviously female.  She is also way too small to be a real woman.  If she were realistic, she would be several feet tall.  But that would not make her suitable for her intended purpose.

The same idea applies to anything viewed on a small screen.  To make it easy to distinguish between male and female, characteristics need to be exaggerated.  If we were looking at life-size images, then no exaggeration would be necessary to have the normal ability to distinguish between male and female.  But in miniature, in order to have the same immediacy of being able to distinguish between male and female, distinguishing characteristics must be exaggerated.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
^Exactly

Part of the reason Lara Croft had such large breasts in the early Tomb Raider games was because the graphics were really bad and they wanted to make it obvious she was supposed to be a woman. I can't see how it was about sexual gratification if I'm honest, she was just pixels, she never looked realistic enough to be sexually appealing at least until it got to Tomb Raider Legend anyway.

A lot of female characters in recent games actually have been going down a more realistic route anyway. If you look at Lara Croft in the last Tomb Raider, her figure was still athletic (which makes sense, she's an athletic character) but more realistically proportioned and practically dressed, and the same goes for the females in the Uncharted series and the females in The Last of Us. Hell, the main female character in The Last of Us was a teenage girl who obviously wasn't going to be sexually objectified, outside Japan anyway. I think it's a broad sweeping statement to accuse the entire gaming industry of perpetuating body consciousness.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

(July 24, 2015 at 1:26 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: Although I agree that it would be good to have more realistic choices (and certainly that there should be less objectification of women), I think many people fail to realize why things like Barbie look the way they do.  When looking at something in miniature, it is harder to see detail, and so characteristics are often exaggerated to make them more apparent.  Barbie is not intended to be realistic; she is intended to be obviously female.  She is also way too small to be a real woman.  If she were realistic, she would be several feet tall.  But that would not make her suitable for her intended purpose.

The same idea applies to anything viewed on a small screen.  To make it easy to distinguish between male and female, characteristics need to be exaggerated.  If we were looking at life-size images, then no exaggeration would be necessary to have the normal ability to distinguish between male and female.  But in miniature, in order to have the same immediacy of being able to distinguish between male and female, distinguishing characteristics must be exaggerated.

That is an interesting point. Also, the first Laura is from an earlier version of the game. The current Laura is still beautiful but doesn't look so extreme.

[Image: sml_gallery_37587_679_330268.jpg]

This Laura is still fit but her proportions are within the realm of possibility.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Final Fantasy 3 video game Sweden83 1 1163 March 12, 2022 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Video Game Reviews T.J. 10 1898 November 17, 2021 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: T.J.
  Video game frame rates??? Jehanne 8 756 February 26, 2018 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  My Homemade Video Game Mechaghostman2 9 3006 August 24, 2017 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Mechaghostman2
  Neil Tyson "making" video game Fake Messiah 1 586 July 22, 2017 at 12:51 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  What is the weirdest video game you've ever played? Edwardo Piet 23 2838 February 23, 2017 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Favorite video game soundtracks/songs/scores ApeNotKillApe 89 12482 January 30, 2017 at 11:21 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Name of the sarcastic video trivia game? Brian37 5 1359 November 26, 2015 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Favourite video game franchises/genres Dystopia 57 8989 February 2, 2015 at 9:12 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Anyone else wants to try "Super Mario" on Nintendo 64 Raindeer 1 946 November 23, 2013 at 9:31 am
Last Post: _xenu_