Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 5:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem
Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3062880/

Has anyone here seen this movie? I haven't seen it because I can't stand to watch anything religious related on a weak stomach, but I was surprised that the premise seems to be that there isn't any "no-fault" divorce in israel.

Sounds pretty 'effn disgusting..

Find the cure for Fundementia!
RE: Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem
It doesn't come up often, but you're correct - short of physical abuse or abandonment, only the husband has the power to divorce in Judaism.  In Israel, it is extremely rare for the woman to be granted a divorce when the husband doesn't agree.  This is the sort of lovingkindness and respect for women is what you get in a theocracy.

I'm also not a big fan of religious-themed films, but I quite like 'Fiddler On The Roof'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Yup, they have no civil marriage. What I didn't know was that this is still an Ottoman law. They now seem to have civil unions, but only if both partners aren't members of any religious community.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage_in_Israel
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
So the fucking jewish pigs think it is ok to enslave women women in bad marriages and by withholding divorce and alimony/child support. They also think their relationship to the imaginary sky daddy allows them to decide who gets married too. Forget gay marriage, you're fucked if your parents weren't married!
Theocracies are such shit.
Find the cure for Fundementia!
We're obviously just too, too naughty for words.
The gods did not reveal, from the beginning,
All things to us, but in the course of time
Through seeking we may learn and know things better.

These things are, we conjecture, like the truth.

But as for certain truth, no man has known it,
Nor shall he know it, neither of the gods
Nor yet of all the things of which I speak.
And even if by chance he were to utter
The final truth, he would himself not know it:
For all is but a woven web of guesses.

Xenophanes

It is a theocracy problem. You tend to end up the same nasty places with regard to women in Muslim, Christian, Hindu, or Mormon run theocracies. I just find Israel particularly offensive because they are our (U.S.A.) sworn allies and the U.S. press will not hear that they ever do wrong.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(July 27, 2015 at 9:10 am)Jenny A Wrote: It is a theocracy problem.  You tend to end up the same nasty places with regard to women in Muslim, Christian, Hindu, or Mormon run theocracies.  I just find Israel particularly offensive because they are our (U.S.A.) sworn allies and the U.S. press will not hear that they ever do wrong.

Yes, but funnily enough it's Ottoman legislation that never got changed.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(July 26, 2015 at 7:55 pm)Brakeman Wrote: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3062880/

Has anyone here seen this movie? I haven't seen it because I can't stand to watch anything religious related on a weak stomach, but I was surprised that the premise seems to be that there isn't any "no-fault" divorce in israel.

Sounds pretty 'effn disgusting..

She should have simply done what any normal person would have done and kill him.  There are lots of examples in the Bible where that's an acceptable course of action.