Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Donation Thread
Another Donation Thread
However I word this, it's going to come across to some like I'm just trying to get my hands on more money, so I'll start by saying that this has nothing to do with personal gain; I have kept track of all the donations that have ever been given to Atheist Forums and every single cent will go towards the costs of running the forums.

Back in March, I posted a donation drive thread that outlined my plans for hosting these forums in the future. Basically, our current server lease has expired, and we can move on to a cheaper platform. The server we are currently running on is a VPS, which is a Virtual machine that runs alongside other virtual machines. It is relatively powerful, but not as powerful as a full dedicated server, which most large websites (and forums) run on.

I had planned to simply choose a cheaper VPS of similar spec to the current one, and so I came up with a figure that we could aim for based on the cost of that. However, I had not anticipated the generosity of the people here, nor had I anticipated the growth of the forum that we have seen in the last 2 months. Furthermore, it is clear that people want a lot of features implemented, and the recent attempt at having an AJAX based chatroom highlighted the lack of power this server has (i.e. two forum crashes simply from people chatting).

The original company I wanted to go with (flosoft.biz) have a good deal on a Dedicated server, which costs $53 a month to use. This is about double what the VPS plan costs. Since I know the owner of the company, he has agreed to waive the 20% VAT fee that the purchase would normally incur (based on German VAT), and there is also a deal that would scrap the $133 setup fee if we pay for 12 months in advance. Not only would this be a massive saving, but it would mean that for 12 months, I essentially have no worries about costs.

Obviously, I wouldn't ask for donations to match what is required ($312). I am prepared to pay $15 a month personally as I will be hosting some other sites (like my blog and personal website) on the server as well. That leaves us with $132 left to get.

That will get us through the next 12 months of hosting, and from there we can decide if we want to go bigger (assuming the forum has grown significantly), or if we want to stay on the server and raise the needed $38 a month to run it.

Of course, the ultimate decision is up to you. I'd personally feel more secure with a Dedicated, especially if we could get it with the deals offered. How we raise the money is up for discussion; if people are fine with donating more, fantastic. If we want to have a discussion about other possible methods of revenue (such as advertising) then please voice your support or objections.

So this is a discussion thread. Please discuss the topic at hand; I will endeavour to answer questions as much as I can. FYI, the stats for the dedicated are here: http://www.flosoft.biz/products/dedicated/eco/ - If you think you have found a better one for the same amount, or a cheaper one that roughly matches up, please tell us!

-Adrian

P.S. As with the last donation drive, the "weird" values used above are the result of converting from Euros to Dollars. The server costs €39.95 a month to run.
RE: Another Donation Thread
Dumb question, perhaps, but I thought about it last time and never asked. Does one need a Pay Pal account to donate?

That's one little modernism I've never gotten into.... along with Facebook, Twitter, Scientology and those Tea Party Assholes.
No, you don't need a paypal account. All you need is a credit or debit card. Basically, you click the donation button as usual, and on the PayPal donation page it takes you to, there will be a section in the bottom left that says:

Quote:Don't have a PayPal account? Use your credit card or bank account (where available).

Clicking the "continue" link in that section will take you to a page where you can enter your card details.
Why not build your own server hardware and have your own server Adrian?
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys" - P.J. O'Rourke

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success." - Christopher Lasch

That would end up being more expensive. Servers need to handle a load of incoming connections, and they need a decent connection to the internet. Datacenters (where the dedicated would be) offer these services already. Plus, I'm not exactly in a stable living situation (being a student), so unless you want the forums to go down anytime I move or the internet cuts out or gets reset...
This messes with my head. Atheism is big business... why can't we capitalise on that and all buy shares?
I just discovered a new host (http://www.nearlyfreespeech.com) that I'm considering for the hosting of my sites...

They don't do dedicated servers as far as I know, but its still more than your average dedicated hosting...

Might be a way to reduce costs...
STOP TRYING TO TAKE MY MONEY!
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
I purpose a future goal for AF in which there is a headquarters building with a basement full of servers and a few offices / conference rooms and whatnot.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys" - P.J. O'Rourke

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success." - Christopher Lasch

(April 26, 2010 at 7:27 pm)theblindferrengi Wrote: I purpose a future goal for AF in which there is a headquarters building with a basement full of servers and a few offices / conference rooms and whatnot.
Nope, I want a playboy mansion-style house where all of us can live Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Donation Changes Tiberius 84 9376 May 8, 2015 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Donation Statistics Tiberius 17 5676 May 14, 2013 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  New Donation Groups Tiberius 62 16379 January 20, 2013 at 11:45 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Donation Updates Tiberius 14 6526 March 30, 2012 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Donation Updates Tiberius 5 4710 January 17, 2012 at 1:05 pm