Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 8:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Options for origin of universe
Ok guys. Yes my views say I am a Christian but I want to out of the gate preface this by saying I am not posting this to try and prove my hypothesis I'm interested in what your views are the possible origins of the universe

To me personally there are three options

1. There is a God that created everything
2. It exploded from "nothing" or some unknown natural means
3. It has always existed (even in a cyclical universe theory of expanding and contracting)

Would you agree or do you have a different list or more to add?
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
RE: Options for origin of universe
4. I don't know.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(July 30, 2015 at 8:32 pm)lkingpinl Wrote: Would you agree or do you have a different list or more to add?

I wouldn't agree, because we can't (currently, if ever) know anything about the state of the universe prior to the Planck epoch. *At* that time, however, our universe most certainly was not "nothing".

So in short, we don't know.
I don't know but #1 is utterly ridiculous.
#1 is not even a possibility.
It has to be #2 unless ofcourse we believe in an "unnatural universe".
No matter how weird, mysterious and wonderful nature is, there must be a "natural" explanation.
If not, then we're just talking Disneyland style magic.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 30, 2015 at 8:32 pm)lkingpinl Wrote: Ok guys. Yes my views say I am a Christian but I want to out of the gate preface this by saying I am not posting this to try and prove my hypothesis I'm interested in what your views are the possible origins of the universe

1.  There is a God that created everything
2.  It exploded from "nothing" or some unknown natural means
3.  It has always existed (even in a cyclical universe theory of expanding and contracting)

If we're just listing hypothesizes I get:

1. Everything always existed in some form or another.
2. Everything came into existence out of nothing either all at once or in stages.
3. Somethings always existed and some things came into existence out of nothing either all at once or in stages.

God could be inserted into any of the three possibilities.  Many theist descriptions of creation begin with a preexisting chaos from which a god or gods created the world (possibility number one).  The Greek mythology follows this idea.  You could also make god one of the first things that came into existence out of nothing and then have god create or order everything else (possibility number 2).  Or, as appears to be the current Christian idea, you could say god always existed and god caused some things to be created out of nothing (possibility number 3).  Or still staying within possibility number three you could say that matter always existed and god popped into existence and made the universe out of eternally existing matter. But god is not really a separate hypothesis, just an variation of one of the three possibilities, because if god exists, god is part of the universe.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(July 30, 2015 at 8:32 pm)lkingpinl Wrote: Ok guys. Yes my views say I am a Christian but I want to out of the gate preface this by saying I am not posting this to try and prove my hypothesis I'm interested in what your views are the possible origins of the universe

1.  There is a God that created everything
2.  It exploded from "nothing" or some unknown natural means
3.  It has always existed (even in a cyclical universe theory of expanding and contracting)

(emphasis is mine)

Perhaps not, but this is exactly the type of OP we've come to expect from those who are.

The simplest (and I think, most straight forward) answer to the question is: "I've no fucking clue."
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
The universe evolved from snot sneezed out of the nose of an enormous mutant star goat.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

The naive notions of time and causality which underlie your choice of options there are not applicable. I think the list is nonsensical.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink The Universe Haipule 19 2801 June 25, 2019 at 8:13 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  APOD -- Scale of the Universe Jehanne 2 765 October 7, 2018 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  The universe in 4 minutes Napoléon 2 984 May 23, 2016 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  A universe from nothing Lawrence M. Krauss dyresand 10 4561 February 25, 2015 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  "Time does not exist outside of the universe, so nothing can predate the universe." IanHulett 18 6991 February 22, 2015 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  'A Universe From Nothing' by Lawrence Krauss, AAI 2009 dred-pirate-rob 3 2926 October 27, 2013 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  How the universe appered from nothing Dolphins are the best 15 5804 October 25, 2013 at 5:21 am
Last Post: max-greece
  The Origin of Life - Abiogenesis - Dr. Jack Szostak little_monkey 1 1864 June 27, 2013 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Study: the origin of morality Foxaèr 30 7808 May 13, 2013 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  An interview with Edward O. Wilson "the origin of morals" Something completely different 1 1106 February 26, 2013 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Nobody