Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 2:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ebola vaccine looks promising
Ebola vaccine looks promising
Another one for science. And something filling me with personal satisfaction since it's primary goal is to push back one of the biggest plagues in one of the poorest corners of the world.

Quote: "This is an extremely promising development," said Dr Margaret Chan, Director-General of the World Health Organization. "The credit goes to the Guinean Government, the people living in the communities and our partners in this project. An effective vaccine will be another very important tool for both current and future Ebola outbreaks."

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/rele...accine/en/
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
RE: Ebola vaccine looks promising
100%!!! That is progress. Now they just have to convince people to take it before the conspiracy theorists and churches persuade them the evil doctors are trying to sterilize them.

Quote:Fear mongering about vaccines as “racist population control” in Kenya

Or give them HIV

Quote:Debunked: The Polio Vaccine and HIV Link
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. ~ George Bernard Shaw
(July 31, 2015 at 9:00 pm)Ashground Wrote: 100%!!! That is progress. Now they just have to convince people to take it before the conspiracy theorists and churches persuade them the evil doctors are trying to sterilize them.

Quote:Fear mongering about vaccines as “racist population control” in Kenya

Or give them HIV

Quote:Debunked: The Polio Vaccine and HIV Link

If it is 100% effective, why is the person administering the shot at your link:

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-33733711

wearing so much protection?

[Image: _84600686_msf144887--high-res.jpg]

If it really works, why not get the vaccine, and not bother with all the special protective gear?

Yes, I know, it is "preliminary results."  That also means that it is too early to get one's hopes up.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(July 31, 2015 at 9:27 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: If it is 100% effective, why is the person administering the shot at your link:

[Image: _84600686_msf144887--high-res.jpg]

If it really works, why not get the vaccine, and not bother with all the special protective gear?

Yes, I know, it is "preliminary results."  That also means that it is too early to get one's hopes up.

I certainly wouldn't suggest they administer it before further trials.
You gotta crap on the optimist eh?

[Image: captain-optimism-vs-pessimistic-man_o_2045901.jpg]
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. ~ George Bernard Shaw
I think this vaccine is fantastic. However, it seems the idiots of the internet are out again, and they are pissed off about ring vaccination. "Why would you not vaccinate the whole country? You're letting innocent people die!" Obviously they haven't heard of things like money, manufacturing constraints, or manpower..... Or the effectiveness of ring vaccination for that matter.
(August 1, 2015 at 8:11 pm)Arrogant Christian Wrote: I think this vaccine is fantastic. However, it seems the idiots of the internet are out again, and they are pissed off about ring vaccination. "Why would you not vaccinate the whole country? You're letting innocent people die!" Obviously they haven't heard of things like money, manufacturing constraints, or manpower..... Or the effectiveness of ring vaccination for that matter.

And all done without the 'power of prayer.' 

Cool, huh?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 1, 2015 at 9:16 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(August 1, 2015 at 8:11 pm)Arrogant Christian Wrote: I think this vaccine is fantastic. However, it seems the idiots of the internet are out again, and they are pissed off about ring vaccination. "Why would you not vaccinate the whole country? You're letting innocent people die!" Obviously they haven't heard of things like money, manufacturing constraints, or manpower..... Or the effectiveness of ring vaccination for that matter.

And all done without the 'power of prayer.' 

Cool, huh?

Boru

Well, if you're referring to my designation as Christian, I have a different interpretation of how prayer and miracles work than magic from "God the faith-vending machine." If just in general, science is indeed an amazing thing.
I have to wonder though, if this vaccine were ever made mandatory in the US, how many anti-vaxer idiots would refuse in favor of exposing their kids to the "natural" disease.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(July 31, 2015 at 9:27 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: If it is 100% effective, why is the person administering the shot at your link:

Yeah, why are construction workers in documentaries always wearing brand new hard hats? Why all the doctors in hospital TV showns all neat and with perfect hair? Why all women in the Baywatch series thin curvy big boobed women.

I hope you understant the sarcasm I am using towards your argument. I do understant your skepticism tough, but that was a big fail. News outlets are very well known to get stock photographs to Illustrate their boring news that have all those words to read. It is a bit too much to portray a doctor in Africa working in a modern facilities, using good practices to administer a vaccine.

Why Pyrrho, why?
Science 1, god 0
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HPV vaccine cutting cervical cancer by nearly 90% zebo-the-fat 6 937 November 4, 2021 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  For you medical geeks, RNA vaccine brewer 3 853 August 26, 2016 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: Aractus
  Talking about looks RozKek 9 718 August 15, 2016 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Looks and success RozKek 2 410 July 11, 2016 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Homeopathy for ebola Jacob(smooth) 14 2721 August 17, 2014 at 9:12 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Flu Vaccine: Do it or not? bennyboy 91 11291 November 30, 2013 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  What DNA Actually Looks Like Rayaan 6 1605 December 2, 2012 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: Rayaan
  efective simian hiv vaccine created downbeatplumb 3 2654 May 13, 2011 at 11:28 am
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Frontline: The Vaccine War Eilonnwy 6 2036 April 28, 2010 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye