Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
atheist as well as conspiracy theorist?
atheist as well as conspiracy theorist?
Let's say you've been in a bad relationship with an emotionally abusive partner, who lies to you, demeans you and controls everything about the relationship.  You somehow manage to find the courage to break it off, only to start dating your ex's look alike cousin. Probably not the best move to make, right? If someone rejects religious beliefs, yet finds themselves viewing most events through the lens of conspiracy theory,
a reboot of rational thinking may be in order. Making leaps and jumps to conclusions, filling in the gaps with whatever the you want is not cool. That sort of thinking is best left with  theists, in my opinion.
RE: atheist as well as conspiracy theorist?
Conspiracy theories are best left to the paranoid delusional. But even then, I hope they get better. And unfortunately, not believing in god won't stop you from believing in kinds of other crap. The only connection I see is that people who believe in woo of any kind are also more likely to believe in conspiracies. They seem to require the same kind of faith without evidence. It's just that most woo believers want to believe in happy thoughts and most conspiracy folk are sure the world is out to get them.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
I'll second what Jenny said. I think it is important not to expect too much from atheism. If you managed to get out of a cult foisted on you since you were an infant, you sincerely deserve a firm pat on the back. Just don't expect that you are now safe from all misconception and confusion. There will always be more opportunities.
Jenny absolutely said it best.. I'm sure some may be difficult not to believe, but it's still belief without any evidence... I did a post not too long ago about this about the dates 9-23 and 9-24... I came across a youtube video about these dates and it seem's to be a religios conspiracy theory... the thing is... if you look hard enough for meaning, you will find it....
QuarkDriven  
   KCCO
North NJ l USA l Earth
Milky Way l The Universe
Thirded. Atheism doesn't mean someone isn't prone to other kinds of woo, or other kinds of delusion.

Though I value reason and critical thinking very much, I'm pretty paranoid in nature. Funny you should mention this cousin look alike. I freaked out on a security guard (of all people!) once because he looked like someone I really, really don't ever want to see again. His face (combined with my silliness) made me laugh later, but I can't imagine what mine had looked like. Judging from his expression of mixed surprise, concern and uneasiness, the look on my face must've been priceless. He followed me with his eyes to the door and probably thought I was fucking crazy. Well, I've never claimed otherwise Tongue
I haven't met one yet but then I'm not in the mecca of atheists. If they exist my guess is that they are rare. I find most atheists to also be skeptics. I think it would be quite the odd combination to find both in the same mind.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
One doesn't invalidate the other. Some conspiracy theories are fun and amusing to read about, but they're just theories with no evidence or just circumstantial. Of course, speculating on the possibility of something existing or happening (Like ET life) is not the same as affirming that it did happen/exist as an irrevocable fact.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

This is turning into the Jenny Fan Club Smile  .

Her reply was spot-on.  All that atheism entails is lack of god-belief.  I know one atheist who firmly believes in astrology and tarot, and another atheist who believes in ghosts and is convinced that ALL ancient architecture (the pyramids, Easter Island, Stonehenge, you name it) was the work of Atlanteans.

Being an atheist means you don't believe in gods.  It doesn't prevent you from being a whack-a-loon of the first water.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Atheists come in all shapes and colors. We've got our resident conspiracy theorists - and extreme rightwing at that - coming here off and on to post the latest for Nutjob Hill.

Also, don't forget that Ayn Rand was an atheist and to call her a humanist would be like comparing Gandhi to Hitler.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(August 4, 2015 at 4:22 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: Though I value reason and critical thinking very much, I'm pretty paranoid in nature. Funny you should mention this cousin look alike. I freaked out on a security guard (of all people!) once because he looked like someone I really, really don't  ever want to see again. His face (combined with my silliness) made me laugh later, but I can't imagine what mine had looked like. Judging from his expression of mixed surprise, concern and uneasiness, the look on my face must've been priceless. He followed me with his eyes to the door and probably thought I was fucking crazy. Well, I've never claimed otherwise Tongue

Perhaps your face looked like your avatar? Big Grin
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dying Well Jamie Boy 34 1012 April 8, 2024 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Well that was a short friendship Doubting Thomas 13 1462 January 21, 2017 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Well, I just can't change that I'm Agnostic... LivingNumbers6.626 15 3036 July 6, 2016 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Well shit... Socratic Meth Head 22 3202 June 15, 2016 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: RozKek
  Censorship is alive and well! Andreas Economou 10 2551 September 25, 2015 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Andreas Economou
  Well... dyresand 7 3395 January 20, 2015 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  The most well fucked up thing. dyresand 0 818 November 3, 2014 at 9:46 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Well what happens after we die? JohnNelson98 54 9200 August 16, 2014 at 7:28 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  atheists and "conspiracy" theories jackman 291 100339 July 16, 2013 at 2:55 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut