Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:09 am

Poll: .
This poll is closed.
A
62.69%
42 62.69%
B
34.33%
23 34.33%
C
2.99%
2 2.99%
Total 67 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
atheism and children
atheism and children
So after starting this thread yesterday, I've noticed that a lot of atheists neither like children nor want them. Some even went as far as to say it's immoral to have them.

I've never met a group of people so anti kids lol. Most people want children or at least like them. I thought that was interesting/different and was curious to know how prevalent this sentiment actually was amongst atheists.

Please, only vote if you're an atheist:

A. I have children OR am currently open to having children (through adoption or otherwise) at some point in the future if things line up right.

B. I neither have NOR, as it stands, want children at any point in the future.

C. I adamantly did NOT want a child, ever, but ended up having one anyway by accident.

Thanks! Smile
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
RE: atheism and children
Nothing to add
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
As everyone prolly knows by now, A...

(August 5, 2015 at 11:19 am)lkingpinl Wrote: Nothing to add

Come on, take one for the team and turn atheist! For the children! Big Grin
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

A.

I have two little hell-raisers. A lot of work they are, but they're the salt of the Earth, too.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
No kids for me! I don't dislike them, but I've never wanted them.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Just took my son in stride. Good days, bad days, what ever days. Lots of joy watching him grow. He is more frustrating now at age 26 that he ever was growing up. Kids now, as long as I can walk away when I've had enough, no problem.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Have none, never will. You'd have to kidnap me, drug me and reverse my vasectomy first!

Only furry children for me, that's where my paternal instinct lies Smile Currently have 4 of those! I'd have more if we had the space/money.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
We're hardly a 'group' but you should know that by now. I have 3 free thinking kids but I'm not overjoyed by the presence of other peoples children apart from the odd 2 or 3 that I approve of. Children in groups of more than 10 make my teeth itch however.
I've got two kids, they're great, they think religion is absolutely ridiculous too.
There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide mankind that cannot be achieved as well or better through secular means.
Bitch at my blog! Follow me on Twitter! Subscribe to my YouTube channel!
I'm going to be the only person in catagory c...how embarassing, lol.

To be fair, I became disabled in my mid 20's with severe anxiety and panic disorder. I never wanted kids with my first husband, because he was a total loser (don't get married at 19 kids!), but after divorcing him and meeting me new husband, I didn't want kids because:
a) I did not feel I would be a good mother because of my illness.
b) I had very little money.
c) I do think the future is likely to be difficult with possible issues with things like food shortages, dwindling access to clean drinking water, etc.
b) The world is already overpopulated and I did not want to add to the population problem!

My hubby moved us to the coast for my health, and it seems to have worked because as I became less stressed out...and then I got pregnant. At 32 and using more than 1 kind of BC, it was really unexpected. But we both agreed that this was really our only shot to have a child, so we decided to keep her. I was getting better with my anxiety, hubby had an ok job, it was the right timing I guess.

However, I signed paperwork to have my tubes tied before I hit 3 months of pregnancy. I had the surgery done about 90 minutes after giving birth. One child is all we will ever have for all the same reasons still listed above.

I love my daughter (I feel like I would literally die without her, now), and I love kids in general (otherwise I could not be a Girl Scout leader!) but it does make me a little sick to see large families in this day and age. I don't think people should have more than 2 kids, for the sake of those very same kids. Honestly.

However, I do notice more and more families only have one or 2 kids. ALL of my kids friends are only children or only have one sibling. I still see families with 5 or 6 kids around, but it seems that trend is less common now. It's just time for humanity to suck it up and realize you can't just pop out a dozen kids anymore.
200 years ago, yes, because sadly a lot of your kids would die before age 5, plus people often used kids as labor devices in their shops or on their farms. And people did not have access to any family planning tools.

Nowadays, there is no excuse in developed countries to have more than 3 kids, except utter blind selfish stupidity. Just IMHO.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2736 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Ken Ham hurts children, watch Manowar 4 1168 October 23, 2017 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Athiest with children? Jesus Cristo 69 12892 October 12, 2017 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27101 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Talking to children about death rossrocks88 10 3807 July 22, 2015 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Two Undeniable Truths Why Theism is True and Atheism and Agnosticism are Not True HiYou 49 12217 July 21, 2015 at 6:59 am
Last Post: KUSA
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12467 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Will you raise your children as Atheists? Kloud 54 10581 December 20, 2014 at 4:40 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12138 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Explaining death to children. Intimae_Hasta 25 5965 July 10, 2014 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Ksa