Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black boxes
Black boxes
Some may be aware of the wing part of the Malaysian airliner that went down 17 months ago. My question is why aren't planes equipped with some sort of ejectable black box capable of floating along with the pinger?
RE: Black boxes
Probably because the robustness of the box makes it very dense. You could still encase the dense package in foam but that would make it very voluminous. It would still need to be in a location and with a mounting system to insure it breaks free from the main body of the wreck if it's under water. A pinger with a 30-day power supply is probably considered more practical.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Industry might be looking at a 'real time' version using radio/satellite/whatever to transmit data continuously off the aircraft.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Three women were sitting on a plane. There was a lot of turbulence and these three were getting very fraught when the Captain announced Mayday. The women, in pure hysterics, starting preparing.

The first lady put on her make-up and, when the others questioned her as to why, she answered, "because, in a plane crash, they always look for the pretty lady first."

The second lady then feverishly starting putting on jewellery and, when the others questioned her as to why, she answered, "because, in a plane crash, they always look for the rich bitch first."

The third lady was a black lady and she simply pulled up her skirt and pulled her knickers down. When the others questioned her as to why, she answered, "because, in a plane crash, they always look for the black box first."
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I was waiting for this thread to take that turn. Good one Iggy!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
In the age of technology, one would think that it'd be more practical to transmit the data constantly back to the airport. Keep the devices (which interestingly enough aren't black, but I'm sure most people know that), but have them transmit the data wirelessly for an easier recovery.
Quote:There was a lot of turbulence and these three were getting very fraught

Not to derail the thread, but this always brings out the grammar Nazi in me.

'Fraught' means 'filled with some quality'. You have to say what that quality actually is...fraught with danger, fraught with stress, fraught with worry...

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Can transmitting data like that be 100% secure?

Also they are ORANGE!
(August 31, 2015 at 1:05 am)Cecelia Wrote: In the age of technology, one would think that it'd be more practical to transmit the data constantly back to the airport. Keep the devices (which interestingly enough aren't black, but I'm sure most people know that), but have them transmit the data wirelessly for an easier recovery.
They do something like that already called ACARS but it can be turned off like in the OP's incident. It's easily receivable by anyone with a PC and a radio scanner.
(August 31, 2015 at 4:17 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:There was a lot of turbulence and these three were getting very fraught

Not to derail the thread, but this always brings out the grammar Nazi in me.  

'Fraught' means 'filled with some quality'.  You have to say what that quality actually is...fraught with danger, fraught with stress, fraught with worry...

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Boru

This post is welming. Shy
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.