Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 6:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawking always makes me smile.
Hawking always makes me smile.
CFI Wrote:According to the Times of London, physicist Stephen Hawking believes that extraterrestrials almost certainly exist - but that instead of looking for them, we should avoid all contact with them at any cost (or, as Gawker so nicely phrased it, "we should avoid them because they will probably come to earth and kick our asses like in the movies").

Hawking concludes that seeking out intelligent life in space is "a little too risky." He added: "If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn't turn out very well for the Native Americans."
Full Article: Here.

Don't you just wanna give him a hug?
RE: Hawking always makes me smile.
I have always wanted him to say my name in his Robot voice Big Grin
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
cute stephie Tiger

One of his main errors is thinking the aliens are similar to us.
He's become overly cautious of late. He also warned that the LHC was too dangerous, because there is a possibility, however teeny-tiny, that it could cause a black hole or twist space time and kill us all, so... we should not perform the experiments at all. Where is his sense of adventure?
(April 26, 2010 at 4:32 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: He's become overly cautious of late.

well that is a very nice circumscription. I rather think he tries to attract the media by making stupid statements that are nice stories. For me as a physicist both his statements sound just plain stupid (dangerous black holes from LHC as well as the threat of an alien attack).
Haha! I like how that gives kudos to all those crazy movies Big Grin
(April 26, 2010 at 4:48 pm)Atheist_named_Christian Wrote:
(April 26, 2010 at 4:32 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: He's become overly cautious of late.

well that is a very nice circumscription. I rather think he tries to attract the media by making stupid statements that are nice stories. For me as a physicist both his statements sound just plain stupid (dangerous black holes from LHC as well as the threat of an alien attack).

I don't know why he would be cautious, he has a rocket chair.
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
Hawking is only one opinion on this matter.

There are alien species that could very well be violent in their approach of absorbing resources. It is possible that aliens so bitter and violent (perhaps like the religious behavior) could never make it into an advanced civilization that would be able to travel space. Look at the middle east, this region is filled with scumbags and just the type of species Hawking described.

There is also the possibility that the alien races could have shed the scales of that violent nature and become truly civil in their travels for other life. As curious as we are to learn about all there is to in this universe.

It could be possible, like us, that only the intellectuals of the species would travel space due to Private Sectors taking priority instead of corrupt organizations or beings on the planet itself. Leaving those interested in the science and knowledge to be the ones we contact.

I can not imagine that brute bastards would be intellectual enough to not destroy their own civilization and only be interested in killing everyone elses.
T H E • M U L T I V E R S E • T H E O R Y
I believe that Stephen Hawking has contributed a great amount of understanding of the universe. However I fear that his age and condition leave much to be desired now.
Sorry but I agree with Hawking on this one.

Let's assume that these aliens are technologically so far advanced that they can reach the Earth. We would indeed be in the same position as the native Americans. We could do nothing against them whether their intentions are good or bad.

There are various scenario's that could play out if a technologically advanced civilization makes contact with a less advanced one, but if history has taught us anything, it rarely ever turned out for the better for the less advanced one.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The story of Midas makes no sense Foxaèr 13 1151 April 27, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Smile when you say that.... onlinebiker 12 1055 April 11, 2020 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Always remember... no one 7 638 October 20, 2019 at 11:00 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Always lacked coordination....... Brian37 18 1742 December 24, 2018 at 9:39 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  One Thing In Fiction That Always Causes Me To Facepalm Amarok 23 3973 May 1, 2018 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Lays and the Smile Operation Foxaèr 14 2474 April 17, 2018 at 10:22 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Anyone makes mental health jokes... Mystic 61 14433 March 23, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  What makes you cringe? Edwardo Piet 3 533 November 2, 2017 at 1:09 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  You know what I've always wondered? Clueless Morgan 98 12209 October 24, 2017 at 6:19 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  What is it that makes people so mean on the internet? NuclearEnergy 9 1099 October 23, 2017 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: c172