Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Selling My Car
Selling My Car
I've been going through some major financial dire straits recently, and I decided to sell my beloved car (seriously: I thought we'd be together until the dying end, but my scooter gets such great gas mileage, and I can't afford to keep the car). Yesterday, I got her all up-to-date with her emissions (smog) test and I took her to get detailed. Three guys working at the car wash wanted to buy her, but they lowballed me like crazy, offering a lot less than she's worth and citing problems I know she doesn't have, so I smartly declined all of their offers.

Today, I listed her on Craigslist, and I've gotten nine offers around my asking price, and I'm wondering where to go from here. I feel like I listed her too low, and it's easy to weed out those who don't want to pay what she's worth. I'm asking $3800 obo, and I've had people offer as little as $2700 (obviously, no) and as much as $3700.

What should I do from here? I'm not a good liar, but if I told someone I'd gotten an offer for $3900, would that be bad or unethical? I'm in uncharted territory right now... no clue how to move forward- I suck at negotiations. Any ideas?
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
RE: Selling My Car
Would you be willing to sell for 1500? We're so poor!!!!
Lying is never good in these situations.

If you feel like you can sell it for more, then list it for more. Decline the offers you are now getting, and re-list it for more than you'll accept.

That's always the best method. If you feel like you'll accept $3800, then list it for $4k, and accept no less than 3800.

As for the guy who is offering $3700, keep bargaining. "Splitting the difference" is always a powerful tool. Would you accept $3750?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I've honestly been wondering what you've been up to, when you were talking about a career field you were going to attack a while back. I was going to send you a PM about it within the next few days.. I'm sorry to hear about your financial troubles, that's got to be brutal Sad

People do that all the time when selling cars, they say they have other offers for $x, and that basically means that they don't want to go below a certain price point. I'd just list it $4,000 OBRO. If you have someone interested that wants to make you an offer, and it's a little below your bottom dollar, just be straight up with them, and say I'm not going below $x, and see what they say. No need to lie about having other offers. Some people will tell you, "Ok, sell it to them then", then you just missed out on a potential negotiation, because you lied.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
My parents just sold one car and they're in the process of selling another. They were offered something like half the money it was actually worth (didn't buy it obviously). I guess with this stuff you have to keep bargaining to reach a compromise but make sure you're getting enough on your end.

So I'd go with what Steel is saying, re list it for a higher price and don't accept offers below what you'd like. You'll get better offers this way.

I don't think it's a good idea to lie about having other offers. It's unnecessary and could actually turn off a buyer that you could otherwise negotiate with.

Good luck Becca! Fingers crossed Smile
No experience selling cars but it sounds like you're on the right track. Steel's advice seems right.
WTF is an "emissions test"?
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Cool. THanks, guys (esp. Steel). I feel a little more confident going forward.
(August 7, 2015 at 3:31 am)Aractus Wrote: WTF is an "emissions test"?

This:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California...ck_Program
Unethical, perhaps.

Remember, in the wise words of Lionel Hutz, "There's the truth, and the truth."

[Image: tumblr_lapq4wPGUU1qdoghio1_250.gif]
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Let's see your electric car do THIS... onlinebiker 18 1116 November 11, 2020 at 9:11 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Your damn electric car needs to make noise brewer 29 3492 July 16, 2019 at 7:40 am
  Your next car onlinebiker 100 7197 January 30, 2019 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  New (Old) Car Fireball 4 1004 May 15, 2018 at 11:38 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Which is grammatically more right - "red new car" or "new red car" ErGingerbreadMandude 55 6874 January 24, 2018 at 6:48 am
  Anyone drive a plug-in electric car? Jackalope 48 8040 September 21, 2017 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Should I have posted a poll with the car tow thread? And, if so, am I a jerk? Whateverist 24 2829 May 3, 2016 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Am I a jerk for having a car towed which was parked in my driveway? Whateverist 36 5364 April 29, 2016 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  What was the favorite car you ever owned? abaris 37 4711 September 29, 2015 at 8:27 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  CAR BRANDS DIRTY_DEEDS_93 120 14481 March 29, 2015 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain