Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 7:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What the hell am I? (Gnostic Atheist or Agnostic)
What the hell am I? (Gnostic Atheist or Agnostic)
Look,

I don't believe in God, the being. I KNOW that there is NO god of any sort. However, I do believe in some sort of ultimate reality or (perhaps) a great "consciousness" beyond everything. That is not to say that this is "God". It is NOT a being. Not necessarily self-aware-- it is more like a "force" or "ultimate reality". The closest thing, as far as I've read, that even in some way resembles what I'm talking about is "The Tao" (read the Tao te Ching for more info). I have experienced union (or felt like I experienced union) with this "ultimate reality" through deep meditation. I am very spiritual, but do NOT believe in any god. I KNOW that there is no god like is espoused by any major religion or mythology. (Don't ask me how I know, that is a subject for a different thread.)

SO....

What the hell am I? Gnostic Atheist or Agnostic?

I am ready to figure this out folks. If you want to put questions to me, I'll try my best.

Peace
RE: What the hell am I? (Gnostic Atheist or Agnostic)
Quote:However, I do believe in some sort of ultimate reality or (perhaps) a great "consciousness" beyond everything.

Maybe that is a good place to stop and ask yourself "Why?"
Your a JEDI
If the answer to "do you believe there is a god" is NO then you are Atheist
If your answer to " is it possible there is a god" is Yes its possible/or I dont know then you are agnostic.

So you can be an agnostic atheist witch is the catagory alot of Atheist fall under.. IF someone provided solid proof then most Atheist could be convinced. But it would take scientific TESTABLE proof.

Then there are alot of sub catagories you can nail on like humanist... but most people are ignorant on what they are so most of the time you have to clear up what an Atheist is when you start tacking on a bunch of sub titles you get glassy looks.... So i stick with the basic Atheist or Agnostic Athiest
Did I make a good point? thumbs up Smile I cant help it I'm a Kudos whore. P.S. Jesus is a MYTH.
Minimalist,

Why stop and ask why? Why not? I'm not saying anything has a name or a face or is a god. I'm just saying, were here. The universe is here. Everything is rather groovy. This doesn't mean there is a god, but... WOW. What a universe! There is something inspiring about that. Why do I believe in an "ultimate" or DEEPER reality? Because I am amazed at our amazing universe. I'm not saying it was "created" by "god" or any such bullshit. I'm just saying, "wow". This universe is so amazing, who knows WHAT is behind it.

Have you ever tried meditation, Minimalist? It will OPEN your mind, yet at the same time SHARPEN your mind. I have found it to be indispensable.

Though, I must thank you for your ardent skepticism, Minimalist. It's refreshing and challenging. Challenge me any time.

What am I? Perhaps I can't be defined. "The unnameable is eternally real" --Lao Tzu
You shouldn't worry about trying to identify yourself with a label.

Because you find yourself trying to mold yourself to that label instead of actually thinking about stuff.

P.s meditation is not a patch on high speed motorcycle riding.

THAT is the way to achieve onesness with everything.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Seems to me that you have a security blanket. You've given up all belief, but you can't imagine that there is not anything beyond just us so you put that little splash of supernatural spiritualistic crap.

Why does there have to be something more than just what there is? I too, am pretty fucking amazed by the universe. I mean...

[Image: lookatthis.jpg]

However, just because it's amazing doesn't mean it has to have a supernatural element.

And meditation is not efficacious for some type of supernatural element. It works purely through physical means of relaxation. Some people get something out of it, others don't.

Anyway, if you want to label yourself, you sound closer to a pantheist.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Atheist seems the best description for you. DON"T get too hung up about labels / descriptions (They are just as bad as religion)

As for meditation- it doesn't OPEN your mind, it takes you INTO your mind. You have gone to take a look and all you have come back with is WOW!!Panic It is a good start.

I am not advocating you STOP meditating. There are so many health benefits to be gained from the practice. Breathe...it is all goodCat

Have a look around the Forum and open your mind to other peoples interpretations of Life, the Universe and Everything. It really is worth a browse because at least they strive to form opinions BASED on available EVIDENCE.

It ALL comes back to YOU!Think
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
ghostlighter Wrote:I KNOW that there is NO god of any sort.
If this is true, then you are a gnostic atheist Smile

/answered. Tongue
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I agree that it sounds like pantheism. Check this site out and see if they express the same beliefs as you.
Universal Pantheism

This may be a case of Einstein's God, as well, which is similar to pantheism, except it is far less dogmatic. The universe, the cosmos, life... all of it is, indeed, awe inspiring. Especially when you realize how utterly insignificant we are in the grand scheme of things. That doesn't mean that god(s) exist, though. Einstein called the cosmos itself 'god', because it is the great unknown and inspires such awe.
As Dawkins said, just as deism is watered-down theism, pantheism is sexed-up atheism, lol.

EvF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  People are not 'Going to Hell' - they're already in Hell. The Kreisel 22 2367 February 18, 2021 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Question from an agnostic chrisNub 41 9340 March 30, 2018 at 7:28 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My brother who used to be a devout Muslim is now agnostic Lebneni Murtad 4 1376 March 21, 2017 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  What is the right definition of agnostic? Red_Wind 27 5882 November 7, 2016 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Well, I just can't change that I'm Agnostic... LivingNumbers6.626 15 3007 July 6, 2016 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Everyone is Agnostic z7z 16 3378 June 26, 2016 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Can you persuade me from Agnostic to Atheist? AgnosticMan123 160 25340 June 6, 2016 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: Adam Blackstar
  My siblings are agnostic, should I try discussing atheism with them? CindyBaker 17 3640 April 18, 2016 at 9:27 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  Albert Einstein the Agnostic MattB 21 6118 February 23, 2016 at 11:45 pm
Last Post: MattB
  Atheist or Agnostic? datc 126 37056 April 6, 2015 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Pizza