Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 6:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Been here a while-Ponderings
Been here a while-Ponderings
I have been on this forum about a year. I usually log in about once a week for about an hour and have a read through of the topics that catch my eye. I also watch a few youtube videos a week, both of Christian and atheist posters.
I have to say though that my stance has really very much hardened over the time. I used to be quite Ok with religious people deluding themselves and thought it did no great harm.  After all, I used to be one of them. But more and more now I see that religion is very insidious especially when deliberately applied to children.
I work with a lot of muslims and sometimes get into discussions with them. The most recent one concerned the spacecraft doing the flyby of Pluto and sending back all the data.  One of them was saying that none of this is even true. He refused to believe it or look at any images or evidence.  I found that attitude incredible and pathetic.
It's not immoral to eat meat, abort a fetus or love someone of the same sex...I think that about covers it
RE: Been here a while-Ponderings
That is really strange that the Muslims that don't believe that we have a spaceship sending photos back from Pluto. Did they give a reason for their disbelief?
I usually go by Live and let live. My parents were church goers, had all their friends there, including the priest. They're all vvery nice and open people, including the priest, who often opposed what Rome told him to be dogma.

So, if they don't try invade my private or social space, I don't invade theirs. But I get what you mean, since if there's anything I loathe it's proud and arrogant ignorance delivered from the high horse.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(August 8, 2015 at 8:48 am)Nope Wrote: That is really strange that the Muslims that don't believe that we have a spaceship sending photos back from Pluto. Did they give a reason for their disbelief?

They're fucking stupid?
Yea, pretty much live and let live.

But I guess it depends on how much of a person is their religious identity.

I know plenty Christians, though I admit some are in name only, that don't bother me one bit. My friend lost her father when she was young, couple years later she went full on born again. It was bringing her comfort. But despite being a devout, deep believer, she has a lot more to her than just that. It's not her entire identity, she doesn't make everything about god and is a great person overall. She's the only person I trust enough to let them know I'm an atheist. I love her, and her faith doesn't matter to me.

But I also know some people who bring god into everything, and let religion become everything they are, so much that I would call it an obsession. They freak me out, and are hard to talk to. My gut reaction to that level of identifying oneself with anything is antipathy. It doesn't seem healthy, and makes it hard to find common ground. Same goes for atheists who bring religion and god into every conversation. It just doesn't sit well with me.

But as long as they don't bother me, I just ignore them.
I honestly don't understand how people are willing to believe anything supernatural so easily, yet refuse to see evidences of science right in front of their eyes.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

It is my firm belief that anyone who denies the obvious is in active delusion, whether they are Muslim or not.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(August 8, 2015 at 1:14 pm)Dystopia Wrote: It is my firm belief that anyone who denies the obvious is in active delusion, whether they are Muslim or not.
I agree with your position that they are delusional. However some don't think about an issue enough, or don't have the capacity to think critically, to know that they are deluded. It's easier to just accept/not accept and be blissfully ignorant. I see people demonstrating this behavior in religion, science, response to news casts, psychics, talking to the dead, and on and on. I don't consider them bad people. If they are happy being that way and don't insist I walk their path I'm good.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I don't mind my pet conspiracy theories, as I usually try to analyse the motives behind them.
But what on earth has anyone to gain from faking photos of pluto?

This is where it's just a simple case of blatant ignorant stupidity. Ignore, smile and move along.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Okay, you are right, religion is not benign, and is an evil pestilence on humanity.  I realized that almost immediately when I deconverted from that vile superstition known as "Christianity."  It had really fucked up my thinking on several things, and ridding my mind of as much of it as possible was a top priority.  I almost wish I were gay so I could piss on Christianity more completely.

But I have an important question.  What is your favorite vodka, and how do you like drinking it?  Do you have different preferences for different types of drinks?  I find I like Ketel One for making screwdrivers (which, by the way, can be part of a healthy breakfast, and is a great way to start the day), but I like a potato vodka for drinking straight.  What about you?

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How long has Humanity been on Planet Earth? MFrancis 19 684 March 13, 2024 at 6:16 am
Last Post: GUBU
Lightbulb Computers have been converted to Islam religion! AVMXF 40 2671 August 20, 2023 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  A challenge for any Atheist who been here for a long time! Mystic 36 4692 January 11, 2017 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: comet
  Psychology behind debating? Or is it just fun to stir the pot once in a while? cosmowanderer 21 5847 September 21, 2015 at 7:51 am
Last Post: Shining_Finger
  Anyone else an atheist while going to a Christian school? KentuckySkeptic224 7 3047 October 16, 2014 at 7:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists/Non-Religious What was your Craziest Belief while in your Religion? Eel_LahjicK 27 8670 August 17, 2014 at 12:24 pm
  you ever been harassed for being an atheist? atheist04330 82 12596 July 17, 2014 at 6:10 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Unsure whether my time at AF and TTA has been positive or negative. Rampant.A.I. 28 4088 July 9, 2014 at 4:24 am
  Easily The Stupidest Thing I've Ever Been Told By A Fellow Atheist BrianSoddingBoru4 6 3440 February 11, 2014 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  20 things I learned while watching this video Owlix 2 1287 October 27, 2013 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: Owlix