Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dawkins' Debate Rejections
Dawkins' Debate Rejections
As most of you know, Professor Richard Dawkins refuses to have any debates with creationists. This is because he feels that it will give them the status of a real scientist. He compared it to a geographer having a debate with a flat-earther and a reproductive scientist debating a person who believed in stork theory.

I wanted to know what you guys thought of this stance. I know it has received heavy criticisms from atheists and theists alike.

Personally, I think he is right. Debates should be discussions between two people about real world problems. Arguing whether or not evolution is a better model than creationism is not a topic that would affect the world. That being said, the discussion of what should be taught in our schools is a topic that would and is affecting our world.
RE: Dawkins' Debate Rejections
Debates are often for entertainment purposes and never do justice to a topic do to time and format limitations. So, I don't see why apologists make a big deal out of them. If someone doesn't want to debate they aren't obligated to.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
Yes, he's right. I don't think one should never engage them, but others should do it. Despite Dawkins not even being close to the most important Biologist around, he is perceived as such - so indeed maybe the debatimg should be done by someone with a slightly lower profile. This is exascerbated by the fact that he is really not a very skilled debater. Others like Matt Dillahunty, say, can expose creationists much more skillfully where Dawkins has a rather limited rhetorical arsenal of scoffing, reiterating a point from one of his books, looking baffled and shouting "evidence!!!".
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(August 9, 2015 at 4:53 am)Alex K Wrote: Yes, he's right. I don't think one should never engage them, but others should do it. Dawkins is not even close to beimg the most important Biologist around, but he is perceived as such - so indeed maybe the debatimg should be done by someone with a slightly lower profile. This is exascerbated by the fact that he is really not a very skilled debater. Others like Matt Dillahunty, say, can expose creationists much more skillfully where Dawkins has a rather limited rhetorical arsenal of scoffing, reiterating a point from one of his books, looking baffled and shouting "evidence!!!".

There is nothing to debate with creationists. They effectively lost the argument decades ago but cling on to their stupid beliefs in the hope that all of science will be proved wrong.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Debating creationists does not serve the purpose of convincing them. It is for the benefit of their audience who might not otherwise hear these arguments.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(August 9, 2015 at 3:38 am)Pizza Wrote: Debates  are often for entertainment purposes and never do justice to a topic do to time and format limitations. So, I don't see why apologists make a big deal out of them. If someone doesn't want to debate they aren't obligated to.

I think it is precisely because they do not do justice to a topic that apologists love them - they don't have a chance in a real scientific discourse. Look at how WLC fans boast about the multitudes he has allegedly defeated in debates, all the while being a dishonest idiot.

"Hey! That Dawkins fella won't mud-wrestle my pig! What is up with that?"
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
I understand his standpoint. There are some debates not worth having. I think, all these debates are overrated anyway. They don't change anyone's mind and they're the equivalent of preeching to the quire for each participant.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The problem with debating evolution/creation is that biology is a VERY complex subject. Someone like Ken Hamm, for example, could ask, 'If evolution is true, how did woodpeckers evolve?' This isn't a question that can be answered in the one, three, or five minutes usually allowed for responses in a debate. When the biologist in the debate tries to answer, topics like morphology, co-evolution and habitat pressure tend to make audiences glaze over.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 9, 2015 at 5:46 am)Alex K Wrote:
(August 9, 2015 at 3:38 am)Pizza Wrote: Debates  are often for entertainment purposes and never do justice to a topic do to time and format limitations. So, I don't see why apologists make a big deal out of them. If someone doesn't want to debate they aren't obligated to.

I think it is precisely because they do not do justice to a topic that apologists love them - they don't have a chance in a real scientific discourse. Look at how WLC fans boast about the multitudes he has allegedly defeated in debates, all the while being a dishonest idiot.
Craig is a boring and repetitive debater. He reads from the same script in each debate. All you need to do is get him off script to get him stammering. I've heard a few atheists say Craig wins debates. I don't see how. Most public debates don't have any winning conditions. There are no judges giving points or anything close to that. Craig just declares himself the winner because his opponents don't refute every argument he makes like that is how public debates work. That's silly.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dawkins, Rowling, Sunak et al on Trans Issue and Women's Rights. Nishant Xavier 63 2827 July 15, 2023 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Dawkins loses humanist title Foxaèr 165 5819 June 6, 2021 at 1:45 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Richard Dawkins interviews Saudi Arabian atheist Rana Ahmad AniKoferBo 2 787 July 22, 2020 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Ricky Gervais won Dawkins award this year Fake Messiah 13 2246 September 6, 2019 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Dawkins writing kid's version of "The God Delusion" - you mad bro? Foxaèr 35 5485 August 2, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Geoff Robson has a hardon for Dawkins Foxaèr 7 1667 May 10, 2018 at 5:55 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What are your thoughts on Richard Dawkins? NuclearEnergy 96 12705 December 6, 2017 at 3:06 am
Last Post: Bow Before Zeus
  Where to Debate Theists? Cephus 27 5758 April 13, 2017 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  Hitchens, Dawkins, Hawking, Ehrman, Coin, Sagan: Where are the Woman? Rhondazvous 44 4069 January 14, 2017 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  John Lennox and Richard Dawkins TheMonster 8 2227 October 14, 2016 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: TheMonster