Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Violent games don't cut it
For the record I am 21 and am not promoting any Sarkeesian ideology or feminism here. 

I have enjoyed video games for a long time and until recent years have not been able to stand them that much. What I loved about games were their entertainment value and their illusion of being in another world. All of that has become erased thanks to FPS games and the increase in creating sensational pseudo militaristic shooters. 
The genres I mist enjoyed growing up were stealth games and of course I am an avid Metal Gear Solid and Tenchu fan. I liked the games for their difficulty and sense of choice they provided. Now video games are about pitting the player against swarms of enemies and killing as many as possible, giving him the sense of being a "badass" or "hero." This shtick is entirely annoying and also boring as it does not make me enjoy the game since their is no immersion or point of interest. 
I do not connect to killing people or taking lives. I prefer to solve things in the best solution possible, I enjoy challenges and a sense of choice. I guess this is why RPGs have the biggest allure to me over any genre of game. 

How do you guys feel about excessive violence ruining games? Or do you enjoy it as many others do?

For me it has almost killed my gaming interest.
Ut supra, ita inferius
[Image: 0c112e9da4d42c24a073c335a3e38de1_zpsezmp...g~original]
Uƚ ƨuqɿɒ, iƚɒ inʇɘɿiuƨ
RE: Violent games don't cut it
Shit, the more violent, the better. I play video games to vent my frustrations in a fantasy setting, not to try to stretch my real life morals into a digital format.

One of my favorite games right now is the PvP portion of The Last of Us, and it's about straight-up murdering the competition.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I've been getting back into Halo:CE online and I gotta say, that shits a young man's game. Don't get me wrong, I pizzown the newatvideogamezors (these people aren't actually new at videogames, but their skill level suggests it, so it's an insult, you see) , but it's at the cost of my nerves. When I get done with particularly hard matches, my adrenaline is through the roof and I can't operate my body.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
No problem with gratuitous violence or sex. Not in itself but given the right context. I just played Fallout New Vegas for a few hours and I love it to pick out enemies from afar. Though I have a mod installed that keeps severed limbs to a minimum. Not because I'm offended by it, but because it's ridiculous to make a head explode with a 22.

It's not real life and in games I'm as badass as they come.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(August 11, 2015 at 7:55 pm)abaris Wrote: it's ridiculous to make a head explode with a 22.

You misspelled 'awesome'.

Angel
(August 11, 2015 at 7:55 pm)abaris Wrote: No problem with gratuitous violence or sex. Not in itself but given the right context. I just played Fallout New Vegas for a few hours and I love it to pick out enemies from afar. Though I have a mod installed that keeps severed limbs to a minimum. Not because I'm offended by it, but because it's ridiculous to make a head explode with a 22.

It's not real life and in games I'm as badass as they come.

I just started Fallout NV last week and I am enjoying it. I am not a stickler about violence, I just want to play a game the way I want to. I am not an aggressive person and don't like aggressive games. My favorite games I have played have been all the Splintercell games except for convictions, Hitman series, Elder Scrolls, Final Fantasy and GTA. I like freedom and don't like being pressured to slaughter enemies because that is the only thing you can do.

FYI I finished Splintercell: Blacklist with the most perfect scores so I didn't harm a single soldier or guard except for the mandatory kills. Talk about pacifist
Ut supra, ita inferius
[Image: 0c112e9da4d42c24a073c335a3e38de1_zpsezmp...g~original]
Uƚ ƨuqɿɒ, iƚɒ inʇɘɿiuƨ
(August 11, 2015 at 8:03 pm)ComradeMeow Wrote: I am not an aggressive person and don't like aggressive games.

I'm not an aggressive person either, but as opposed to you, I'm not my real self in games. I let of steam, since it's not hurting anyone. And FNV or the whole Fallout series for that matter are just the right thing for my tastes. Heavily modded, I've got 113 active plugins right now.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(August 11, 2015 at 7:14 pm)ComradeMeow Wrote: How do you guys feel about excessive violence ruining games?

I think it's great.
I used to host halo LAN parties in my basement (even wired it with 8 ports in different parts of basement so we could spread out) but the FPS rage has really dwindled for me. I prefer to get lost in games like Skyrim that can hold my attention for months.
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
(August 11, 2015 at 9:38 pm)lkingpinl Wrote: I used to host halo LAN parties in my basement (even wired it with 8 ports in different parts of basement so we could spread out) but the FPS rage has really dwindled for me. I prefer to get lost in games like Skyrim that can hold my attention for months.

This.

I enjoy sci-fi and fantasy based shooters, but my favourite type of game are large, open world games where you can wander and explore the world.

Looking forward to Fallout 4.
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Upcoming games you want to play Foxaèr 13 2088 October 6, 2022 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  What are your top 5 video games of all time? T0 Th3 M4X 80 8613 May 22, 2022 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: emjay
  I sucked at video games. Brian37 16 3035 July 18, 2021 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The issue with Match-3 games Foxaèr 4 452 August 15, 2020 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Stream Switch games without a capture card. Mechaghostman2 0 379 November 24, 2019 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: Mechaghostman2
  Any sci-fi open world games? Mechaghostman2 9 1905 September 27, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Games still to be released in 2018 Foxaèr 9 1162 June 2, 2018 at 12:32 am
Last Post: KevinM1
  Of new homes and video games. Brian37 7 1158 May 25, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  No evidence to support link between violent video games and behavior Gawdzilla Sama 12 1833 January 21, 2018 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  Anybody here have any favorite Sega Genesis/Mega Drive games? ƵenKlassen 7 1223 November 18, 2017 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Cecelia