Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Evangelists Sound to Atheists
How Evangelists Sound to Atheists
Recent posts from some of our resident theists remind me of a video I saw a while back. 

RE: How Evangelists Sound to Atheists
They all sound like this fuckhead.

or this one.

I swear these people are insane.

If anyone else did things like this, but not in the name of religion they'd be locked up for fraud or put into a padded room.
Dying to live, living to die.
(August 18, 2015 at 10:37 pm)Minimalist Wrote: They all sound like this fuckhead.

Hallelujah....shama-lama-ding-dong, banana-fama-fo-fama! That's a Baptist or Pentecostal church, no doubt. Speaking in tongues is one of the most blatantly obvious displays of made-up bullshit one can witness in church.
Yup.  Morons.
This is the problem. Put bluntly, most religious people sound crazy to me. Now I don't think they actually are crazy, but their words mimic those of a crazy person.

Every religious story sounds insane, and the idea that an adult actually believes it is true makes them sound nuts to me. I don't bring this up constantly here to theists, even when I'm thinking it, because it's not helpful for productive conversation. But maybe hearing it candidly like this every so often will be something of a wake up call. It's exactly like I'm talking to an adult who still believes in Santa. I don't think religious people realize just how apt that analogy is. In fact, believing in Santa is a lot less ridiculous than religion because it is less removed from the reality we observe.

It's a socially acceptable delusion. Psychological programming passed on in a vicious cycle of irrational thinking. As I posted recently, I do have sympathy for what it's like to be indoctrinated. I have some similar experiences outside of religion which let me know it's real, it's not just excuses to believe dumb stories. It is fucking powerful.

People ultimately have to decide if they want their beliefs to be rational, or if they want them to be comfortable. Until they make a conscious decision for the former, they will be a slave to religion, and pass on the poison to their children. We have a few special theists who don't indoctrinate, but on the whole, even the nice ones still do it. It's sickening to me, and I'm undecided as to whether the parent subconsciously knows the child isn't going to believe their story once it can think properly so they have to cram it in while they are vulnerable.

Anyhow. If a theist makes a firm decision that they want their beliefs to be rational, we are here for them. Without trying to sound too arrogant, we "know" that their beliefs are wrong and that its just a matter of guiding them to that. (I don't ever speak to absolute certainty, but we're talking about reality here.) If they thoroughly rationally evaluate their own beliefs, while accepting whatever critical thinking help they may be missing, they will see through it and escape. But they have to make that decision themselves to really want to challenge it. Not to discard it, but to challenge it. It just so happens that discarding it is what will happen if the process is done right.

Religion provides a lot of reasons to be wary of doing this, so much so that some people simply never even try. Deep down, some people must be scared that if they do look at their beliefs properly, they may lose them, and they assume they will be worse off for it. I couldn't disagree more. In the vast majority of cases, people are happier and feel an amazing freedom. But I know that can sound like empty words to someone caught up completely in the delusion.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(August 18, 2015 at 8:05 pm)Thena323 Wrote: Recent posts from some of our resident theists remind me of a video I saw a while back. 

Brilliant. Our resident theists will fail miserably to see the connection though and use the very same technique in the video to prove it to you.
That's the really sad part. This goes one of two ways, generally.

1- They say this is utterly stupid and is in no way a good analogy for religion.

2- They start trying to make contrived excuses for why this story is actually rational, and it's not stupid at all, to try and defend the obvious analogy.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(August 18, 2015 at 10:39 pm)Minimalist Wrote: or this one.

Fucking ace. That one has almost endless replay potential.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mysterious Sound onlinebiker 7 476 September 22, 2020 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  I love how funny language can sound. Brian37 16 2032 April 26, 2017 at 8:24 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Innocent add lines that sound funny....... Brian37 4 1789 January 7, 2015 at 2:51 am
Last Post: Alex K