Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How will the planet end?
How will the planet end?
In my never ending quest to look for weird things, I came across : http://exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm

It's a cute site which lists many ways in which the world can end. Yes, it even lists the religious ones.

What do you guys think is the most likely scenario?
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

RE: How will the planet end?
ZAAAMBIEEES

[Image: zombie-cat.jpg]
I like this one!
Looking forward to it but fear I will be decrepit and too mentally deteriorated to appreciate the disaster to its fullest!

Quote:Thursday 9/11/2040 has inspired a broad range of researchers and publicists to preach doom and destruction. And no wonder. In the early morning hours of this particular Thursday, a rare cosmological event will take place. All visible planets -- Mars, Saturn, Jupiter, Mercury and Venus -- will align with both the Sun and the Moon. They will be in an exact row.

You won't be able to see much of it, since the brightness of the Sun will make the view on everything else impossible. But according to the doomsayers, we will definitely notice something. Just picture this: there's SEVEN huge objects in the sky, tugging at our tiny planet with their combined gravities. This will cause the Earth's axis to tilt, moving Middle Africa to the North Pole and the icy Antarctic to the equator.

It will be quite a disaster. Rapidly, the ice caps of the poles will melt, causing massive floods and huge tsunamis all over the world. Millions will drown, entire continents will be flooded. Not to mention the faith of those poor Africans and Latin Americans, who will suddenly find themselves living on one of the poles!

And that's just the beginning. The tidal forces of the seven heavenly bodies combined will trigger earthquakes bigger than we've ever had. Also, there will be volcanoes erupting everywhere. If you don't drown, chances are you're crushed by a collapsing building or covered in lava. Well, if that isn't what you call `the end of the world', what is?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Not only could you line up all the planets in the solar system without destroying the Earth, you could bring in twice as many planets (I'm pretty sure you can get them on Amazon), line them up, and STILL have a negligible effect on the Earth.

The Moon is our closest neighbour in space, so let's set the gravitational attraction between the Earth and the Moon at 1 (arbitrarily, I don't care to look up the math). This gives Jupiter, an attraction of .01 and a tidal force of .000006. In fact, ALL of the objects in the solar system combined (bar the Sun) exert a total gravitational attraction on Earth of a little less than 2% of Luna's. The total tidal forces would be something on the close order of about 5/100 000ths of 1% of Luna's.

The technical term for eschatology of this sort is 'ignorance'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Ah dang science, always destroying groundless fantasies...
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(August 20, 2015 at 4:06 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Not only could you line up all the planets in the solar system without destroying the Earth, you could bring in twice as many planets (I'm pretty sure you can get them on Amazon), line them up, and STILL have a negligible effect on the Earth.

The Moon is our closest neighbour in space, so let's set the gravitational attraction between the Earth and the Moon at 1 (arbitrarily, I don't care to look up the math).  This gives Jupiter, an attraction of .01 and a tidal force of .000006.  In fact, ALL of the objects in the solar system combined (bar the Sun) exert a total gravitational attraction on Earth of a little less than 2% of Luna's.  The total tidal forces would be something on the close order of about 5/100 000ths of 1% of Luna's.

The technical term for eschatology of this sort is 'ignorance'.

Boru

yeah, when you say it like that!
I was hoping that whilst the planets were aligned, that aliens are also attacking us with plasma canons and contaminating us with zombie viruses just as a black hole passes nearby! It's either that or “the end of the world” is described in 2 Peter 3:10: “The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.” This is the culmination of a series of events called “the day of the Lord,” the time when God will intervene in human history for the purpose of judgment. you decide which is more likely ... Shy
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
The world will get swallowed up by the sun - that's what science tells us, I think.

Yepp, that's the most probable cause. Here you've got some other real ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_of_the_Earth

There's also a cool pic:

[Image: Red_Giant_Earth.jpg]
(August 20, 2015 at 4:29 am)excitedpenguin Wrote: The world will get swallowed up by the sun

Hah that sounds like ancient mythological mumbo jumbo!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(August 20, 2015 at 4:31 am)Alex K Wrote:
(August 20, 2015 at 4:29 am)excitedpenguin Wrote: The world will get swallowed up by the sun

Hah that sounds like ancient mythological mumbo jumbo!

You're joking, of course. How can you not know about this?

lol, sorry, I'm a little slow. Haven't slept.
Quote:This is the culmination of a series of events called “the day of the Lord,” the time when God will intervene in human history for the purpose of judgment. you decide which is more likely ...

Nil equals nil.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I just found the coolest thing on the planet The Valkyrie 5 542 July 14, 2021 at 7:08 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Poll To End All Polls no one 12 971 February 5, 2019 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Do you know why the end of the month is still too far away? Foxaèr 15 2347 April 22, 2018 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The end of this month cannot come fast enough Foxaèr 22 4294 April 15, 2018 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: c172
  At the end of my tolerance notimportant1234 4 484 January 26, 2018 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: notimportant1234
  Biological Strategy to end Racism chimp3 46 3647 September 26, 2016 at 12:49 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Ghost Busters 2 - End of the world dyresand 4 888 February 15, 2016 at 2:06 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Well all good things must come to a end dyresand 13 2702 August 9, 2015 at 7:17 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The appeal of the end Foxaèr 6 1326 July 22, 2015 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Your end of the world party! Iroscato 13 2648 April 26, 2015 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: robvalue