Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What technology/knowledge could you bring to the Middle Ages?
What technology/knowledge could you bring to the Middle Ages?
An interesting scenario that was posited on another forum I frequent a couple of years back. The setup is as follows:

Through the mischevious machinations of some god-like entity, you are flung back 1000 years in time to europe (specifically, Britain), 1015 AD. The omnipotent dickhead has granted you immunity to all diseases that exist in this time period, so lack of resistance to plague and such won't be a problem. It has also ensured that you will neither be worshipped as a god yourself, nor will you be burnt at the stake for your heretical ideas. The people will simply readily accept any and all ideas or technology you offer up to them, trusting you as a wise man/woman.
You are taken exactly as you are now, and you will be equipped with the clothing relevant to that time period. None of your possessions are taken with you.
So, with the knowledge of the modern world - however much of it you currently possess, in any areas - what technology/ideas/theories could YOU introduce to the people of 1015?

Personally, I'd introduce the concept of atheism - duh Tongue, or at least expand the notion that those who don't believe in a god aren't necessarily evil and murderworthy.

I have rudimentary knowledge of bacteria and infections, and how to prevent and treat them, so medical technology could be sped up a fair bit.

I could in theory create a ramshackle magnification system, to help people study the microscopic world and, possibly, the night skies a few centuries earlier. At the very least I could provide them with the theory on how to create such things, and set them on the track to figuring it out themselves.

I could help convince them that the feudal system ain't all it's cracked up to be, and introduce an alternative form of governance such as democracy, centuries early for that part of the world.

I COULD set them on the path to creating projectile weapons early, though I'd likely keep that to myself.

As for mathematics...uh...E=MC2 I guess would be my limitation, though again that leads to the development of nuclear weapons, so again...keep that one quiet Tongue

That's pretty much all I can think of for now. Over to you guys Smile
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
RE: What technology/knowledge could you bring to the Middle Ages?
WAFFLES

(come on, you saw that coming)
(August 24, 2015 at 3:54 pm)Iroscato Wrote: As for mathematics...uh...E=MC2 I guess would be my limitation, though again that leads to the development of nuclear weapons, so again...keep that one quiet Tongue

*whispers* that's physics ಠ_ಠ
I'm sorry ._.
(August 24, 2015 at 4:12 pm)Neimenovic Wrote:
(August 24, 2015 at 3:54 pm)Iroscato Wrote: As for mathematics...uh...E=MC2 I guess would be my limitation, though again that leads to the development of nuclear weapons, so again...keep that one quiet Tongue

*whispers* that's physics ಠ_ಠ
I'm sorry ._.

Nuh-uh! It's got numbers and letters, that makes it maths!

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(August 24, 2015 at 3:54 pm)Iroscato Wrote: So, with the knowledge of the modern world - however much of it you currently possess, in any areas - what technology/ideas/theories could YOU introduce to the people of 1015?

Hygiene.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I'm sowwy :c

[Image: 7881e137-s.jpg]
I'd aim lower, starting with toilet paper. Once they got that down, maybe pencils......lol. Shooting for the stars....a decent bra?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Marijuana.
(August 24, 2015 at 4:17 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: I'm sowwy :c

[Image: 7881e137-s.jpg]

[Image: index_zpsvv3wzdy2.jpg]

Purell.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who in the tudman administration faked a war so that they could sell weapons, to whom BrianSoddingBoru4 7 164 February 11, 2024 at 5:01 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Just watching a PBS show on Middle ages Brian37 9 1083 April 26, 2018 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Comment on "The Dark Ages" Minimalist 0 394 October 16, 2017 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Religion in the Middle Ages Jericho 32 3515 April 29, 2015 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  How the middle east became muslim Aractus 19 3950 September 23, 2014 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: ShaMan