Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fusion?
Fusion?
Hmmm... Thinking

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/08/this-cou...on-energy/

Quote:This could change everything: Secretive California company advances towards unlimited fusion energy
RE: Fusion?
Fusion on a magnetic bottle?
Sure, it can be done... but those "angled, more powerful beams" used for containing the plasma, need power, too... usually, more than what you get out of it.... much more!

Also, the magnetic bottle design is known to have constant leaks of plasma at both sides, making it a very sub-optimal machine for sustained fusion.
That's why we use weirdly named things like Tokamaks and stellerators!

[Image: Tokamak_(scheme).jpg]
They lost me at 'secretive'.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
I WANT MY MR FUSION!

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Sounds like some guys seeded some hype in order to boost funding if you ask me. Wasn't Lockheed also having a break-through a year ago?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(August 25, 2015 at 12:45 pm)Alex K Wrote: Sounds like some guys seeded some hype in order to boost funding if you ask me. Wasn't Lockheed also having a break-through a year ago?

Indeed... and also on a magnetic bottle design... -.-'
Fusion...ha! [/obscure dbz reference]

I'm not sure if unlimited energy will ever be a thing, but I guess we can try to get as close as possible.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

According to an estimate I once saw, fusion using Deuterium and Tritium (the two "best" hydrogen isotopes for the task) can supply mankind with electricity for about 2000 years, considering we extract all the deuterium from sea water and the tritium from lithium.
After that, the world's oceans will be depleted of deuterium and the next closest source of it is.... the sun (or maybe Europa).
(August 25, 2015 at 2:35 pm)pocaracas Wrote: According to an estimate I once saw, fusion using Deuterium and Tritium (the two "best" hydrogen isotopes for the task) can supply mankind with electricity for about 2000 years, considering we extract all the deuterium from sea water and the tritium from lithium.
After that, the world's oceans will be depleted of deuterium and the next closest source of it is.... the sun (or maybe Europa).

Actually Earth's fusion resources are more than a million times greater than all other energy reserves put together. Even at ten times our current rate of consumption, there is enough fusion fuel on this planet (alone) to power our civilization for nearly a billion years.
[Image: Merits_2.jpg]

Nuclear fusion is pretty much real deal and how do I know? Because some of the most knowledgeable scientists say so like Dr. Stephen Hawking, Dr. Brian Cox, Dr. Michio Kaku among others.

But it's the worst kind of energy in a sense that we the people should do something to help the scientists make it happen. Like plasma physicist Dr. Francis Chen explains in his excellent book "An Indispensable Truth: How Fusion Power Can Save the Planet":
The 50-year time scale presently planned for the development of fusion power can be shortened by a concerted international effort at a level justified by the magnitude of the problem. It is time to stop spinning our wheels with temporary solutions. [...]
The situation can be compared – or contrasted – with that of the Apollo program to put a man on the moon. In that program, the physics was already known: Newton’s laws of motion covered all the physics that was needed. In the case of fusion, it took over 50 years to establish the science of plasma physics, to develop fast computers, and to understand the physics of magnetic confinement; but we have done it. In the Apollo case, there were engineering problems whose solutions could not be fully tested. Could the nose cone material stand up to the heat of reentry? Can humans survive long periods without gravity and then the stress of reentry? Will micrometeorites puncture the space suits of the astronauts? It was a dangerous experiment, but President Kennedy pushed ahead, and it succeeded marvelously. In the case of fusion, we do not know yet how to build each part of a reactor, but the only way to get this ideal source of energy is to push on ahead. The expense will be comparable to Apollo’s, but at least no human lives are endangered.

So you hear it?! We need to do something. Even Dr. Brian Cox in the BBC documentary "Can We Make a Star on Earth?" said that there should be Manhattan-like project to bring nuclear fusion development into fast track, he even ended documentary with writing this message:
[Image: e709c1e9cf653ea65adf47c67a1d51e5.png]

Even if you don't want nuclear fusion we should push our governments to substitute oil and coal with something clean for which there already are solutions by scientists with existing technology, because if we don't do anything we may likely be the last generation of humans living on this planet.

Perhaps we should look upon gays when the AIDS bursted and started killing thousands of people they rioted on the streets demanding FDA to release medications, the only difference is that annually because of global warming and pollution millions of people die annually. Just in China 4000 people dies every day because of oil and coal power-plant pollution and not to mention climate change and oil wars refugees that are flooding Europe and US. So we really need climate change counterpart of Larry Kramer because gay community considers that if there wasn't for him to organize riots there still would not be those drugs that mitigate AIDS and allow people not to die out of it. Because pollution is solvable with large amounts of energy on disposal, since it can be used to filter the air and lower the temperature.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Bah call me when they make a flux capacitor Smile
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fusion Breakthrough? Minimalist 19 2849 October 18, 2014 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Minimalist