Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AFTERLIFE, XYZ
AFTERLIFE, XYZ
I attended a loved one's memorial service this weekend and a recurring thought was in my mind as I listened to comforting words on being free from pain and suffering, and God's loving eternal embrace in the hereafter:
"I wish this was true."
So often on this forum, many theists seem to consider atheism to be a bitter refusal or willful act of spite. This is far from true, . If there were any good reason to believe that loved ones move on to a peaceful afterlife after they die, I wouldn't reject it. I don't think most atheists would.
During the service, in the midst of tears and grief, I found myself wondering if I had missed something...anything that might demonstrate that I could be wrong. That an afterlife in Heaven might be possible someway, somehow.
I couldn't think of any plausible reason to believe that life continuing after death is possible. My only reason for entertaining the idea was because I wanted  it to be a possibility. I still do.... but that doesn't make it so.
RE: AFTERLIFE, XYZ
Exactly how I feel.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Me three.

I would LOVE to believe it.
The thing is most of us want to believe we go to a better place hell i really would love to believe it as well. I mean who knows all i know in reality is i won't leave i mean ill still be here on the atomic level.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Sorry for your loss Thena. Sad

I’m sure those feelings are more likely to occur when you do lose someone that you love. You can’t accept that they are gone, and you just want them to be happy, so that you can be happy. However, it only seems like wishful thinking. I wish you well in your grieving/healing process. Try to stay busy with happy and positive things if you can. -Hug-

I’m not sure if I’d like to be alive forever in perfect peace or not, it’s hard to say. Maybe if Vic cooked me waffles everyday, I’d reconsider.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
Aw man, I'm sorry for your loss, Thena. *Big hugs* You're a pretty tough chick, but you can PM me if you don't feel like being very tough.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(September 1, 2015 at 9:37 pm)Salacious B. Crumb Wrote: Sorry for your loss Thena. Sad

I’m sure those feelings are more likely to occur when you do lose someone that you love. You can’t accept that they are gone, and you just want them to be happy, so that you can be happy. However, it only seems like wishful thinking. I wish you well in your grieving/healing process. Try to stay busy with happy and positive things if you can. -Hug-

I’m not sure if I’d like to be alive forever in perfect peace or not, it’s hard to say. Maybe if Vic cooked me waffles everyday, I’d reconsider.
Thanks. I'm okay. I try not to stay weak and sad for too long. Athena no like weak and sad. Weak and sad....bad. Smile
I wouldn't like to believe in Christianity but in life after death - sign me up! But like everyone here, I'm incapable of believing in something just because I want it to be true.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(September 1, 2015 at 9:48 pm)Thena323 Wrote:
(September 1, 2015 at 9:37 pm)Salacious B. Crumb Wrote: Sorry for your loss Thena. Sad

Thanks. I'm okay. I try not to stay weak and sad for too long. Athena no like weak and sad. Weak and sad....bad. Smile
She says with a smile and a tear in her eye.
We're all human matey.
In fact it's those moments in life which makes us human. That's why I cry when watching all animated movies.
They exaggerate these dilemmas.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
A chance to get Brian back ?

Hell yeah, emotionally I'm on board with that. But then there is that big gotcha, the religiousite people got NOTHING proof wise. Just endless schisms, weird and bizarre rituals, and deities that either are clinically insane, logically compromised or just plain fucking twisted cruel mother fuckers.

And then there are the charlatans, the willfully ignorant, the money grubbers, the perverts, hypocrits, sycophants and power junkies.

Fuck 'em.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eternal afterlife purplepurpose 129 24660 February 14, 2018 at 8:46 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Wanted: Christians who reject the supernatural and a literal afterlife. Whateverist 48 11940 October 20, 2017 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Christianity with no afterlife RobbyPants 18 2952 February 25, 2015 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Norman Humann
  The Afterlife- A Hallucination? Jonah 5 2622 November 7, 2010 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: Jonah