Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christians - What would you do if it were discovered Jesus never existed?
Christians - What would you do if it were discovered Jesus never existed?
Hypothetical here.  I'm sure some don't want to answer with anything other than "That would never happen,"  I'll get to that in a moment.

Say that some evidence surfaced that strongly suggested that Jesus never existed.  Evidence that was so strong that even many Apologetics accept it.  The Historical Jesus didn't exist, and most historians accepted that as a fact.

What would you do?

Would you convert to Judaism?
Would you ignore the evidence? (I'll assume this is your answer if you say "That would never happen")
Would you stop believing in god altogether?

I'm curious as to what people would think they would do.  Other Atheists can say what they think people would do.  Personally I think a few would convert to Judaism, and many would ignore the evidence.  I'm curious about what their logic would be behind their choice if such strong evidence surfaced?  I mean many people deny that the world is billions of years old despite all evidence suggesting otherwise.
RE: Christians - What would you do if it were discovered Jesus never existed?
They'll shake their heads and say:

"Good try Satan, but the bible cannot be wrong because it is the word of God".
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Absolutely nothing would change.  

They ignore the myriad of evidence as it is now.  [Image: facepalm.gif]
[Image: Evolution.png]

Quote:Hypothetical here.

No it isn't.  And they'd shit their pants.
(September 3, 2015 at 11:44 pm)Cecelia Wrote: Hypothetical here.  I'm sure some don't want to answer with anything other than "That would never happen,"  I'll get to that in a moment.

Say that some evidence surfaced that strongly suggested that Jesus never existed.  Evidence that was so strong that even many Apologetics accept it.  The Historical Jesus didn't exist, and most historians accepted that as a fact.

What would you do?

Would you ignore the evidence? (I'll assume this is your answer if you say "That would never happen")

I'm curious as to what people would think they would do.  Other Atheists can say what they think people would do.  Personally I think a few would convert to Judaism, and many would ignore the evidence.  I'm curious about what their logic would be behind their choice if such strong evidence surfaced?  I mean many people deny that the world is billions of years old despite all evidence suggesting otherwise.

Well let's be real here. Your not gonna shake a non-evidence based belief with evidence.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Given so many Christians refuse to accept scientific facts like evolution, I don't think it would make any difference to those who are already brainwashed. When the belief is not evidence based in the first place, this probably won't do much.

However, to the newer generations, the huge question mark above Jesus' head may well be a factor in seeing through the nonsense. Even as a lifelong atheist, I had always assumed Jesus must have been a real person who got a bit exaggerated. It was only when I got heavily into these topics a few years ago I discovered my confidence was misplaced and it's far less clear cut.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Here's what would happen:

[Image: 2m2f03a.jpg]

Cecelia: Have you heard of an apologist called William Lane Craig? He stated that even if he was taken back in time and was shown Jesus never existed, he would still believe in Christianity. He would assume he was being tricked.

So in other words, when realility contradicts religion, reality must be wrong. I think it's a common mantra. The narrative must be preserved at all costs; the mental effort necessary to fudge facts is less than is required to stop and actually consider you may have been wrong for a very long time.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Why would they renounce their favorite ethnocentric Middle Eastern religious fairy tale when it gives them license to discriminate against people that they don't like?
(September 3, 2015 at 11:44 pm)Cecelia Wrote: Hypothetical here.  I'm sure some don't want to answer with anything other than "That would never happen,"  I'll get to that in a moment.

What would you do?

I unlike most of you, do not like others doing my thinking for me. I don't take an expert at his word, simply because he is deemed an 'expert.' An 'expert is so because generally speaking, they make their living doing what they do, and can be swayed with the right motivation. I would ask to the 'evidence' and make my own conclusions.

I would also have a lot of questions as in:

What does the evidence of someone not existing look like?

Any testimony can be dismissed, or cancled out by contrary testimony.

The lack of records would only be valid if ALL records of that time were accounted for.

So Im logically at a loss at how one can establish how a specific indivisual in the sea of human History can be proven to never existed. At the very best all that can be said is this person existence has not been confirmed. And if we are talking about Christ, then everyone else of that time frame is also suspect, because their is more data on Him and anyone of that period.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Most People Insist That Two Separate Being Can Never Be One KerimF 86 4206 June 17, 2023 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  If you knew for certain that you were going to Hell zwanzig 32 2865 March 9, 2021 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Sinning, as Jesus and the church say, is good. Turn or burn Christians. Greatest I am 71 5221 October 20, 2020 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How do Christians imagine 2nd coming of Jesus? Fake Messiah 39 3570 September 15, 2020 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Would Jesus promote punishing the innocent instead of the guilty? Greatest I am 159 8864 September 10, 2020 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
Question [Serious] Christians what would change your mind? Xaventis 154 8580 August 20, 2020 at 7:11 am
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7589 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Truer Words Were Never Spoken Minimalist 9 2432 April 23, 2018 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Jesus Would Be Proud of You, Douchebag Minimalist 37 9059 August 21, 2017 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Hi, I would like to tell you about Jesus Christ, the only way to God JacquelineDeane55 78 20807 June 10, 2017 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Fireball