Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 11:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question concerning forum protocol
A question concerning forum protocol
Hello everyone, I am a new member and wanted to check with an admin or moderator before posting a fundraising link. About two months ago a Atheist friend on Facebook introduced me to a young man named Ahmed who is an Atheist living in Libya. This young man won me over instantly with his sense of humor, intelligence, and love of Western culture. He currently lives in Tripoli which is currently facing an encroaching threat from the Islamic State. The thought of a young man who dares to think independently being harmed or killed by the Islamic State is heartbreaking. Friends have created a fundraising page to help this kid get the fuck out of Libya and head some place he can have a shot at a normal life free of religious violence and oppression. Am I allowed to post the link here? If not, would anyone else have any ideas on how to promote this kids plight? None of his friends on Facebook are rich and we are all doing what we can to help; to date we've raised about $620 but we are still well short. P.M. if you are willing to help or have ideas to offer and thank you in advance.

- Mike
RE: A question concerning forum protocol
There's a reason for the 30/30 rule. And that's spam and phishing.

Not saying that you are the one doing it, but your story sounds suspiciously like the friendly Nigerian investor. Or my sister in law dropping me a mail from Italy, desperately in need of funds. Although she was safely at home with my brother.

Are you even sure, the story is legit? I mean, it's Facebook and friends aren't what we usually call friends.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
No offense but I'd need a lot more details and conformational proof before I would consider. (skeptic radar up)
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Abaris, I know man but I do not know how to get the word out. I asked because I want to respect the forum and as a new member I know have zero credibility. I certainly won't post the link without permission from an admin and I would be more than happy with usable ideas to promote and help this kid sans donations. Me saying it's real doesn't make it real, I get that.
Plus, if we believed everything we read, we'd all be religious!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
lol...alright, that's damn funny, ignoramus. I had low hopes for this idea but I thought I would give it a shot regardless. I am still open to ideas and suggestions if anyone has any though.
We have a 30/30 rules, which means members are allowed to post links to anything until they've made 30 posts and have been here for 30 days.

As to posting anything regarding fundraising, I'll leave that to a staff member more senior to myself. As for myself, I'm very dubious to anything fundraising, without evidence it is what it claims to be.
Dying to live, living to die.
Kram, we have the 30/30 rule specifically for this kind of thing. Keep posting, become a member of the community, and if you've made 30 posts once a month goes by, we'll allow your link. The thing is, even if we allowed you to post it now, the forum-at-large would probably, at best, ignore your request, or at worst, get angry that a total newb would dare ask them for money. If you become a member of the community, you'll have a much easier time convincing people your cause is worth their time, and possibly money.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Oh, and by the way: thank you for asking permission. Most don't, so you're already on the right track Smile
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Also, in lights of the current fugitive crisis - tens of thousands of people fleeing the region right now - the story rings all the wrong bells. There are people drowning in the Mediterranian on almost a daily basis because they make away from war and persecution in Northern Africa and the Middle East.

So, again, as in offering the benefit of the doubt, check your sources like you never checked anything before. Chances are, this facebook friend of yours is just some lowlife trying to cash in on a current news item.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with SMBC forum challenge question. Gawdzilla Sama 24 7480 September 12, 2023 at 6:06 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  An interesting read concerning atheism in america. brewer 11 682 January 3, 2022 at 12:46 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Share your protocol for having a cold Catholic_Lady 67 5746 March 25, 2018 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  General poll concerning preferences in polls Alex K 13 1553 December 15, 2015 at 5:09 am
Last Post: Alex K
  I have a homosexual question and incest question? KingKong 39 8696 July 6, 2014 at 1:38 am
Last Post: Amalynne0
  "Answer the Question with a Question" Game Rayaan 101 17263 August 14, 2012 at 6:28 am
Last Post: Rayaan
  Question on the forum store everythingafter 2 1451 September 3, 2010 at 2:41 pm
Last Post: everythingafter