Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This doesn't seem like a step in the right direction...
This doesn't seem like a step in the right direction...
A Feature in Windows 10 might "Out" LGBT children to their parents.   Undecided

I'm all for parents having a bit of control over the internet usage in their homes, but I'm not sure what to think of this?

What do the masses think?
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
RE: This doesn't seem like a step in the right direction...
might

I think it is a conspiracy as most things are that concern the word might.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I'm sure most kids turn it off.  They are far more techno-savvy than their parents.
It doesn't seem to be especially targeted at LGBT. It just tells them all the websites they visited.

I'm kinda split on this, since on the one hand, if you have children, you have to have some kind of control over their internet habits. But on the other hand, there's that part of me saying, none of your business.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
To much 1984/Big Brother.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Oh gosh, that's difficult. On the one hand, teens need privacy (especially LGBT teens who's parents are bigots). On the other hand, as a parent, it is my right to look at my kids browser history, for her own safety, and to set the limits I think are appropriate.

Sounds like the software needs to be changed so it does not alert parents when the child/teen goes to non-adult sites that still discuss things like sexuality, like this site for instance.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
It will not be long before someone comes up with an app that intercepts it and sends random 'good' data to the parents. If one is not watching what their children are doing, then they do not know what their children are doing. Do not trust a 'Nanny' for the important things in a child's life.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Children should be allowed to be children and teenagers should be allowed to be teenagers. In essence, taking away a right of growing up is what is happening.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(September 10, 2015 at 7:59 pm)abaris Wrote: It doesn't seem to be especially targeted at LGBT. It just tells them all the websites they visited.

I'm kinda split on this, since on the one hand, if you have children, you have to have some kind of control over their internet habits. But on the other hand, there's that part of me saying, none of your business.

The amount of control one should have over one's children depends on many things, such as their age.  A 6 year old and a 12 year old are vastly different, and they are vastly different from a 16 year old.  What one should allow and what one should prevent and what one should watch is rather variable.  Unfortunately, children are at the mercy of their parents on this, and parents vary a great deal in how reasonable they are and in how nice they are.

If I were a parent (and I wisely avoided all of these sorts of problems by deciding not to be a parent), I would let my child know what I was watching and what I was not watching in advance, with the tightest controls and watching when young, with things loosening over time.  I would not do clandestine spying on my children.  I don't think that is a good thing, as it tends to erode trust both ways.  I would want my children to be able to trust me, and I would want to be able to trust them.

Of course, I am also not going to be upset if my daughter turns out to be a lesbian, so I am not everyone.  (In fact, my wife and I would break out the Champagne if we had a daughter who turned out to be a lesbian, as there would be less worry about a teen pregnancy or STDs.)

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
I monitored my son's internet usage until he was 14 or so. He earned my trust.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Major Step Forward For The Hearing Impaired BrianSoddingBoru4 1 303 December 15, 2023 at 9:15 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah