Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:35 am

Poll: Could you still be an Atheist and believe in a "Soul"?
This poll is closed.
No! because that's an absurdity!
90.00%
9 90.00%
Yes! I believe in the absurdity.
0%
0 0%
Plato's "soul" may exist and therefore there is a creator. I am a temporary Atheist and waiting for a new religous belief system based on Plato's ideals.
10.00%
1 10.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could you still be an Atheist and believe in a "Soul"?
Could you still be an Atheist and believe in a "Soul"?
I really had to ask. This is truly a Litmus Test of whether someone is an Atheist. Let you all know there is a so-called "atheist" who truly believes that there is a "soul". I agree that if there is a "soul" then there is a Divine source (Plato/Socrates). However, as it has been proven...virtues do not derive from a "soul" so this destroys the Nihilist claim (The Plato argument concerning Gorgas' philosophical nihilism which has been converted into a modern social/political construct).
RE: Could you still be an Atheist and believe in a "Soul"?
I don't see how.
The theoretical soul contains some weird characteristics.

Henry Ford was convinced he had captured Thomas Edison's in a bottle, for instance. I suppose if the stopper was real tight it might still be there.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

The poll needs more options. Are you trying to test how smrt we are, as well?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
The evidence against Plato/Socrates argument is the siege of Athens during the rule of Pericles. The morals and ethical religious teachings, among the ancient Greek "soul believers" were removed as soon as disease spread within the city during the siege.

Point: If they believed in a "soul", and if virtues derive from a "soul", then the populace of the city would have kept being filled with virtue(s) rather than increasing in vice. They would have been calm and been tranquil and preservered during the siege because their religious teachings created virtues.

Conclusion: Virtues do not derive from the BELIEF OF A SOUL.
(September 10, 2015 at 11:53 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: The poll needs more options.  Are you trying to test how smrt we are, as well?

Yes, you are pointing to the obvious. Anymore options would create more absurdities. Virtues derive from ACTS not a declaration (belief).
(September 10, 2015 at 11:35 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I don't see how.

The argument goes: If you believe in a soul then there is a creator. Therefore, the religions may be valid. Then you would have to accept that some souls will be in "hell" and some in paradise/heaven. It leads to an absurdity. Plato/Socrates were believers in a soul. The flaw is that virtues derive from a soul! if this is the case then you could say (and justify) that LIBERALS are Nihilistic and evil.

Therefore the FALSE CONSTRUCTION:

Believe in a Soul --> All/most acts are virtues --> Good people and desirable people (The social conservative mind logic).

Does not believe in a Soul --> All/most acts are vices --> Bad people and must be put away and must not advance (The social conservative mind logic).

Observation: Most Muslims think in this manner especially the ones who truly follow the Quran and Sunnah. Even if you believe in a soul you are still below them because you are possibly a believer in the Bible (The "Book" as they say: Ahlul-Kitab). Even worse if you are an Atheist.

It is simply social criminilization by belief, the very thing I ran away from.
Quote: If you believe in a soul then there is a creator.

See, I think the same fools who invented a "creator" also invented "souls."  Superstitious drivel, mon ami.
This poll is stupid. Yes, one can be an atheist and believe in a soul.

Next.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(September 10, 2015 at 11:55 pm)CristW Wrote: The evidence against Plato/Socrates argument is the siege of Athens during the rule of Pericles. The morals and ethical religious teachings, among the ancient Greek "soul believers" were removed as soon as disease spread within the city during the siege.

Point: If they believed in a "soul", and if virtues derive from a "soul", then the populace of the city would have kept being filled with virtue(s) rather than increasing in vice. They would have been calm and been tranquil and preservered during the siege because their religious teachings created virtues.

Conclusion: Virtues do not derive from the BELIEF OF A SOUL.
Oh wow. That is a brilliant argument. But Plato's notion of the soul - as a sort of an immortal, incorporeal essence of self-motion that retains an identity from body to body, despite loss of memory - is problematic without appealing to this absurd, nay, silly and invalid objection that the ability to degrade one's moral sense disproves the individual soul's participation in virtue, derived from the form of the Good... whatever that is Plato leaves an open question.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 5020 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1641 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Quick Poll - Do you believe in God? Tiberius 1632 451565 May 13, 2023 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Standing up to family for what you believe in Tomatoshadow2 30 2318 May 4, 2022 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1437 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why do you not believe in the concept of a God? johndoe122931 110 8123 June 19, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  No soul? No free will and no responsibility then, yet the latter's essential... Duty 33 4060 August 26, 2020 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 13470 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Here’s Why You SHOULDN’T Believe In God BrianSoddingBoru4 46 4039 April 5, 2020 at 8:03 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it Nihilist Virus 330 30096 March 5, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate