Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Analogue internet!
Analogue internet!
Looking through the various ISP's, I noticed that many are still offering dialup as an option?
WTF!

I threw out my Swan K56 Flex about 20 years ago!
Man, that thing flew at a theoretical rate of 5.6 kb/s! (Actual was about 4.5kb/s)

Fess up you hording old codgers! Who's still got that old dialup stuffed in a box somewhere!

[Image: qvsdy.jpg]

[Image: qvse9.jpg]

[Image: qvsel.jpg]
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: Analogue internet!
I recicled mine long ago. Ah the sound it made while dialing up brings memories.
I shared the same line as my dad's bar. That meant whenever a customer wanted to use the phone, it would break my connection. Then came adsl. That was like the best thing ever, the phone could be used while online.
yeah, don't ask me how many times I fought with the wife for cutting me off as she'd pickup the phone to ring her mum!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I believe a fair few people at least in the US are STILL using these archaic contraptions, going by what I read on other forums.
For the internet is dark and full of terrors...
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(September 11, 2015 at 3:19 am)LastPoet Wrote: I recicled mine long ago. Ah the sound it made while dialing up brings memories.

I remember (just about) being able to play the original counter strike on the old 56k. Any more than 6 people in a game though and shit got difficult real quick.

When I had my first broadband connection installed it was like I was in the matrix. People with 56k modems just stood still whilst I was running around doing flips and shit.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I remember getting a 9600 baud modem, which would be I guess a little under 1.2k/sec if I'm doing my math right. My friends didn't believe that such a speedy modem existed! Smile
Anyone who posts a pic of his working acoustic coupler gets a bottle of wine.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I'm using my Kaypro right now.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(September 11, 2015 at 3:19 am)LastPoet Wrote: I recicled mine long ago. Ah the sound it made while dialing up brings memories.

For the real nostalgics out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsNaR6FRuO0
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What would happen to the Internet if there were no regulation? FlatAssembler 7 224 January 27, 2024 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Will quantum computers slow our Internet down? FlatAssembler 5 449 November 16, 2023 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Need info on Internet connection when even cell phone service is iffy arewethereyet 10 972 February 24, 2023 at 11:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Ermagerd not Internet Explorer! Rhizomorph13 18 1424 April 6, 2021 at 8:51 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Opinions on "fiber optic" internet? Gawdzilla Sama 31 1859 February 19, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Internet Speed 2018 Iroscato 20 2560 April 19, 2018 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Internet Browser paulpablo 14 1862 May 2, 2017 at 3:48 am
Last Post: Sal
  Iran rolls out domestic internet account_inactive 6 1621 August 30, 2016 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Internet speed, 2015 bennyboy 128 17142 April 22, 2016 at 10:06 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Regarding internet speeds in the US dyresand 4 1195 January 27, 2015 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: dyresand