Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Any Christians Actually Know Anything About the Sadducees and the Pharisees?
Do Any Christians Actually Know Anything About the Sadducees and the Pharisees?
I was the kind of kid who got in trouble for asking unanswerable questions of the adults in charge.  I once asked a Sunday school teacher who the Sadducees and the Pharisees were.  After some meaningless answers about they were hypocrites or bad people, she admitted she really didn't know.  (Sorry Mrs. Scneidder and thanks for admitting it).  I asked the question again at home and was told no one really knows.

We don't know all that much but we do know more than Jesus didn't like them, or they didn't like Jesus.  So if you are Christian or were raised Christian please chime in, and tell me what you know.  Yes it's cheating to look them up first.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
RE: Do Any Christians Actually Know Anything About the Sadducees and the Pharisees?
As far as I know, they were people who followed the letter of the law, without following the spirit of the law. However there are a handful of stories about people getting killed for not doing exactly what they're told, so it seemed the pharisees were just trying to take the commandments as serious as those stories.

Some guy gets stoned to death for picking up sticks on the wrong day of the week. Lot's wife gets turned into salt for looking back. A guy gets killed for touching the ark of the covenant as it was about to fall off the wagon. Moses doesn't get into the promised land because he banged on a rock instead of just talking to it. The list probably goes on. Is it any wonder the religious leaders were so focused on obeying the exact letter of the law?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

RE: Do Any Christians Actually Know Anything About the Sadducees and the Pharisees?
(September 18, 2015 at 5:17 pm)Jenny A Wrote: I was the kind of kid who got in trouble for asking unanswerable questions of the adults in charge.  I once asked a Sunday school teacher who the Sadducees and the Pharisees were.  After some meaningless answers about they were hypocrites or bad people, she admitted she really didn't know.  (Sorry Mrs. Scneidder and thanks for admitting it).  I asked the question again at home and was told no one really knows.

We don't know all that much but we do know more than Jesus didn't like them, or they didn't like Jesus.  So if you are Christian or were raised Christian please chime in, and tell me what you know.  Yes it's cheating to look them up first.

The Sadducees were Jews who believed in traditional Jewish beliefs.  The Pharisees were Jews who had adopted Persian religious beliefs, such as belief in angels, demons, resurrections, devils, ghosts.  The Jesus character was essentially a Pharisee since he believed in all of those things.  The spin is to make Jesus an Essene, but Essenes are not mentioned in the Bible.  Most of the Christian beliefs are a mixture of Greek & Persian.
(September 18, 2015 at 5:42 pm)Chad32 Wrote: As far as I know, they were people who followed the letter of the law, without following the spirit of the law. However there are a handful of stories about people getting killed for not doing exactly what they're told, so it seemed the pharisees were just trying to take the commandments as serious as those stories.

Some guy gets stoned to death for picking up sticks on the wrong day of the week. Lot's wife gets turned into salt for looking back. A guy gets killed for touching the ark of the covenant as it was about to fall off the wagon. Moses doesn't get into the promised land because he banged on a rock instead of just talking to it. The list probably goes on. Is it any wonder the religious leaders were so focused on obeying the exact letter of the law?

All of the stories emphasize the basic rule of believing and obeying without exception.  If you don't comply you get slapped upside the head.
This is true. Unquestioning obedience is the major theme of the bible. Anything less is of the devil.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Probably not.  Most xtians don't know shit about much of anything.

However, as Lewis Black once noted...."if you have any questions there are jews who live among you......"

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsou...senes.html

Quote:Ancient Jewish History:

Pharisees, Sadducees & Essenes

BTW, given that the pharisees did believe in an afterlife and in god rewarding or punishing based on conduct you would think they would be the natural allies of jesus and his bullshit, wouldn't you.  Yet the Pharisees are repeatedly denounced and the Sadducees are barely mentioned in the NT , as even the jesus freaks admit:

http://biblehub.com/topical/s/sadducees.htm

Quote:Except on one occasion. (Matthew 16:1,4,6) Christ never assailed the Sadducees with the same bitter denunciations which he uttered against the Pharisees.

Perhaps the reason is that by the time these fuckers got around to inventing their gospel bullshit the Sadducees were but a dim memory whereas the Pharisees were calling the shots?   Without the temple ( d. 70 ) the Sadducees had no raison d'etre.
They were just the rhyming names in a Sunday school bible song. Blah blah blah blah Pharisees, Blah blah blah blah Sadducees. If I remember right the tune was a rip off of Lizzy Borden took an ax. I could be wrong.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I think my Sunday school teachers were subtle about it, but Jews that were around before Jesus were OK, and the ones Jesus ran afoul of and got hisself crucified by weren't so good.

And then the ones that didn't get on board with Jesus, well, they had their chance.

As for Sadducees and Pharisees, I recall hearing the terms, but it's been over 50 years since Sunday school for me, I'm lucky to remember about unleavened bread.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(September 18, 2015 at 5:17 pm)Jenny A Wrote: I was the kind of kid who got in trouble for asking unanswerable questions of the adults in charge.  I once asked a Sunday school teacher who the Sadducees and the Pharisees were.  After some meaningless answers about they were hypocrites or bad people, she admitted she really didn't know.  (Sorry Mrs. Scneidder and thanks for admitting it).  I asked the question again at home and was told no one really knows.

Jenny-

This article will provide a good overview.

http://www.catholic.com/quickquestions/p...he-gospels
(September 18, 2015 at 7:53 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:

Jenny-

This article will provide a good overview.

http://www.catholic.com/quickquestions/p...he-gospels

I think you missed the point.  Anyone can look them up.  I've done that myself.  The question is, What did you know BEFORE I asked the question?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Do we have any female Christians left? If not, anyone is welcome to comment. Losty 34 3317 May 13, 2019 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: WolfsChild
  Christians worship Satan and don't even know it rado84 18 1740 April 15, 2019 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Are there any Christians here who believe in zombies? Jehanne 41 4560 February 1, 2019 at 9:30 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7594 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  God is completely inadequate to explain anything whatsoever Whateverist 20 2892 March 14, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink vorlon13 11 2648 August 1, 2017 at 12:25 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Lol the bible is actually ok with pedophilia, proof from passage Rarieo 80 22886 July 29, 2017 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Um, should we do anything special today (Maundy Thursday) ?? vorlon13 27 5022 April 14, 2017 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Christianity actually condones murder Rolandson 50 9945 January 21, 2017 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Catholicism would actually be the most likely controlled Christianity Rolandson 10 1917 January 1, 2017 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Redoubtable