Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
avatars: pics vs. favorite images
avatars: pics vs. favorite images
I just saw a comment on another thread about a member's avatar.  So what guides your decision in posting a picture vs. a favorite image?  Some might think that posting a picture of themselves = honesty with the group.

So here's where I am:  No, I don't look like Peta Wilson's portrayal of Mina Harker.  I wish I did.  She was a BADASS.
I do have pics of myself that I could tolerate using as an avatar.  BUT . . . I have a full-time and a part-time job at the moment.  If anyone who knew me, and who knew my bosses, were to peruse AF and see my picture, I would almost certainly get fired.   I'm only "out" as an atheist to a few trusted people.  That's why I don't use my picture.

Thoughts on the matter, anyone?  BTW, I do like the avatars . . . real pics AND cats and art and actors and dogs and . . . it's a fun mix.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
RE: avatars: pics vs. favorite images
When I started here, I had the same fears. I've posted a few picture of myself in the Member's Photos thread, but I'm comforted by the difficulty in trying to dig those photos up. I'm sure there's a filter feature to find those again, but at least there's that extra step. You'd have to have the intent to find them and the knowledge of the forum, you couldn't just stumble on them... I think...
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
RE: avatars: pics vs. favorite images
Also, a person would have to know your nym to search for them.

For me, it will always be a picture of the Nanners. He's not particularly photogenic right now, but that is my favorite pic of him, curled up with me in bed with his chin nestled in my arm.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christmas decorations 2021 pics brewer 21 1702 December 13, 2021 at 8:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Heart Tell us your ethnicity with food pics *Deidre* 138 20743 May 19, 2018 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Google plus recomending pics of underage girls?!? paulpablo 23 3254 January 15, 2017 at 5:46 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Pup Pics brewer 54 7069 November 13, 2015 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Quick question for images Dystopia 1 688 July 5, 2014 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Radical muslim preacher Anjem Choudary wanted these pics removed from the internet... Big Blue Sky 13 7068 June 13, 2013 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Making pics of satilites Something completely different 0 920 January 26, 2013 at 4:55 am
Last Post: Something completely different
  Post pics of your sunsets here!! :D KichigaiNeko 14 5101 January 16, 2013 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Dee Dee Ramone
  Great pics of Australia Oldandeasilyconfused 7 5394 January 19, 2012 at 4:36 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Facebook users get graphics images in spam attack Justtristo 1 1187 November 15, 2011 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko