Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
well, hello
well, hello
I'll be up front, I am a member of atheistforums.com. I've been a member for a few years, and I thought I'd take a look in here to see what it's like.
I am a scientist. Grew up affiliated with Episcopal church. I am a political liberal and a feminist (not particularly outspoken, just my opinions lean that way). I respect religious people until their religion has a negative effect on other people. (I guess you can argue that this is true of anyone who is religious). I am a closeted atheist. I work with lots of religious people and it would probably get me fired if I was vocal about my religious beliefs.

so hi.
RE: well, hello
Hello Smile
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Welcome to AF Smile Your work situation sounds charming, would it really get you fired?
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
Hiyas! Welcome to the .org Smile
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(September 20, 2015 at 12:12 pm)Iroscato Wrote: Welcome to AF Smile Your work situation sounds charming, would it really get you fired?

Not in any direct sense. But I would likely be marginalized and slated for elimination at some point, as the company I work for is wont to do. The decisions are very often based on interpersonal relationships. I am surrounded by scientists who are also Christians. (I have such a hard time reconciling that, I can't really wrap my head around how that even works, but whatever).
Welcome!

Don't be a bringin them thar wacky .com idears over here, ya see. We don't cotton ta setch nonsense. HAHAHAH
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Quote: I respect religious people until their religion has a negative effect on other people.

So, you don't respect anyone that is religious, eh? Smile

Welcome
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
(September 20, 2015 at 12:18 pm)Mermaid Wrote:
(September 20, 2015 at 12:12 pm)Iroscato Wrote: Welcome to AF Smile Your work situation sounds charming, would it really get you fired?

Not in any direct sense. But I would likely be marginalized and slated for elimination at some point, as the company I work for is wont to do. The decisions are very often based on interpersonal relationships. I am surrounded by scientists who are also Christians. (I have such a hard time reconciling that, I can't really wrap my head around how that even works, but whatever).
Hello and Welcome !!
I too have  a difficult time reconciling scientists that are Christians, I had a discussion with my Microbiology professor(who knew of my non-theism and still chose as me as her Teachers Assistant), she is a devout Muslim and very intelligent in regards to biology.  I had told her one day that I do not believe in God and I asked her how she as scientist does.  She explained to me that she is only learning what God has created and that we can only learn through a channel of being connected with God.  I asked her how can she believe in the foundations of biology in regards to evolution  and her simplistic reply was " Gods work takes time".  I left it at that , I understood that anything I would say would not make her even slightly question her faith.  But I have to say she is a great person overall and I am happy I know her. Take what you will from her statements but I feel that some people need something to make themselves feel as their time on Earth will lead to a purpose after death.  I believe that to be one of the core reasons why people look to a religion.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.~Carl Sagan

Smile 

I received this private message just now. I feel bad for someone who has this much angst over the beliefs of other people, particularly strangers on the internet. Oh well. I guess they mean well. Or. Something.

Quote:

(September 20, 2015 at 1:03 pm)Banks Wrote:
(September 20, 2015 at 12:18 pm)Mermaid Wrote: Not in any direct sense. But I would likely be marginalized and slated for elimination at some point, as the company I work for is wont to do. The decisions are very often based on interpersonal relationships. I am surrounded by scientists who are also Christians. (I have such a hard time reconciling that, I can't really wrap my head around how that even works, but whatever).
Hello and Welcome !!
I too have  a difficult time reconciling scientists that are Christians, I had a discussion with my Microbiology professor(who knew of my non-theism and still chose as me as her Teachers Assistant), she is a devout Muslim and very intelligent in regards to biology.  I had told her one day that I do not believe in God and I asked her how she as scientist does.  She explained to me that she is only learning what God has created and that we can only learn through a channel of being connected with God.  I asked her how can she believe in the foundations of biology in regards to evolution  and her simplistic reply was " Gods work takes time".  I left it at that , I understood that anything I would say would not make her even slightly question her faith.  But I have to say she is a great person overall and I am happy I know her. Take what you will from her statements but I feel that some people need something to make themselves feel as their time on Earth will lead to a purpose after death.  I believe that to be one of the core reasons why people look to a religion.

This is pretty much the same way I see things as well.
That guy's been banned. He sent that message to a LOT of members.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Well, it's been about four years. What's up all? Mudhammam 12 1231 July 15, 2021 at 10:36 am
Last Post: tackattack
  well im back dyresand 12 1236 April 25, 2020 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  Well hello Abaddon_ire 23 3272 October 6, 2017 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Well hello atheist forums anonymousyam 27 3487 April 3, 2016 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: c172
  Well, Hai Ari Sheffield 14 2084 March 21, 2016 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Good Morning! (...well, it's morning here anyway) Lewligan 13 2511 June 11, 2014 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  well I'm here ,what do you know.. Artur Axmann 10 2395 May 28, 2014 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Brakeman
  Well well, what have we here? BlackMason 13 2503 May 11, 2014 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Well here I am yoshirama 26 3465 January 27, 2014 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: EgoRaptor
  Well, here I am Foxaèr 11 2507 March 17, 2013 at 7:50 am
Last Post: LastPoet