Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 11:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stuck in the land of Jesus
Stuck in the land of Jesus
I'm not totally sure what the point of this thread is just yes, but here it goes:

I'm in a bit of culture shock. About a year and a half ago, I moved from a very liberal college town to a very conservative town who loves Jesus A LOT (16,000 people, 27 churches.) My previous circle of friends were overwhelming secular (with a few exceptions), gay friendly, and diverse. This new town.....is NOT. It's rich, white, and evangelical.

Needless to say I'm feeling quite apprehensive. I found a neighbor who likes the same football team as I do, and I was set to invite him over. Then I found out he works in a Christian book store. I backed off. Not sure if this was the right call, but I smelled a disaster.

The absolute worst part involves my children. I raise them secular of course, but they pick up all kinds of things from their friends. (I can't really be mad at a 5 year old for talking about his religion to my son.) Now I have to battle them picking up all kinds of beliefs that I didn't have to worry about in the past.

Don't get me wrong, there are no torch wielding mobs outside my door. It's just that, after living so long in a really progressive city, I'd forgotten what the real world was like.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
RE: Stuck in the land of Jesus
Sounds perfectly dreadful.
(May 6, 2010 at 8:50 pm)Locnar Wrote: Don't get me wrong, there are no torch wielding mobs outside my door.

Yet.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
Yup .... know how you feel. Had the same experience and it has taken 5 years and alot of gentle persuasion with my youngest to avoid the 'religiously blind'

Cheer up ...and keep to your most cherished beliefs. And yes you are in for one helluva time as you try to give your llittluns the education you want.Angel Cloud
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I live in a small town in Arkansas, it's essentially the same. You will find churches and bible book stores on every street. People find out you are an athiest and expect some sort of virgin sacrifice going on in your basement. People are crazy man.
"In our youth, we lacked the maturity, the decency to create gods better than ourselves so that we might have something to aspire to. Instead we are left with a host of deities who were violent, narcissistic, vengeful bullies who reflected our own values. Our gods could have been anything we could imagine, and all we were capable of manifesting were gods who shared the worst of our natures."-Me

"Atheism leaves a man to sense, to philosophy, to natural piety, to laws, to reputation; all of which may be guides to an outward moral virtue, even if religion vanished; but religious superstition dismounts all these and erects an absolute monarchy in the minds of men." – Francis Bacon
Insanity is never good, yet...

Tiger
I have a secret and it is down below!

Locnar, I think you were living in the " real " world, just that you aren't now!
My commiserations.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
I think it's very fallacious to assume all the Christians there would dislike you for being an atheist. Granted, I do live in Liberal Boston, but I came out to a very religious person at my work and she treats me no different, we're very friendly.

I would say you can test the waters with these people, some might be dicks, but some Christians may be very kind and welcoming, just avoid the topic of religion and you'll probably be fine. If they ask, be honest but kind. Don't be like, "Well I'm an atheist because believing in God is like having an invisible friend." You'll piss people off fast. But if you just say "I'm non-religious" maybe not use the buzz word Atheist if you feel that you can handle it, you might be okay. If they try to convert you, I would tell them it's a personal matter, that you won't try to convert them if they won't convert you. If they don't listen, they're not worth having as friends.

Furthermore, I would suggest looking online for a local secular humanist/atheist/freethinker group. They're all over the place if you look hard enough. I recommend meetup.com, you might find a local group already having some meetings, that way you can find the people who are like you and you would feel more comfortable making friends with.

Lastly, as far as the children go. Give them the benefit of the doubt. Don't come at it as "I got to counteract this brainwashing" but give them the chance to learn. The worse thing you can do is try to force your child to believe as you do. Tell them what you believe and why. Teach them critical thinking so they have the tools to listen to their peers and summarily dismiss the claims. Let them learn about other religions, because I think a broader understanding of all religions is a great tool to help kids decide what they want to believe. If you don't indoctrinate but rather share you beliefs and teach critical thinking, I think the kids will likely turn out as you hope. If they end up finding religion, that's up to them. I know people want their kids to believe what they do, but they are their own person and should make the decision for themselves.

I hope my advice helps. Granted, I'm no expert, but I've heard the advice about children from other atheists with children.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Meh go put on a Born Again Atheist t-shirt on and walk around wall mart.. when you get a dirty look smile and nod Smile
Did I make a good point? thumbs up Smile I cant help it I'm a Kudos whore. P.S. Jesus is a MYTH.
Dr. House Wrote:You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1433 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Stuck between a rock and a hard place JohnNelson98 21 3945 July 26, 2014 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: JohnNelson98
Question Being an Atheist parent in a Christian land Erinome 91 19631 September 8, 2011 at 10:40 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko