Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humanity makes me want to puke.;;help ?
Humanity makes me want to puke.;;help ?
This post might be biased because i am coming out of a conversation that really upset me.

The person i was talking to was saying that what Hitler did, massacring all the Jews, was okay, because they brought it on themselves by acting superior to the German people. The person that said that is college educated, smart, and overall friendly. This caused me to wonder.

I know so many good people that are bigots, that hate Gays, Jews, Blacks, or other minorities for stupid reason and claim they all think alike, are all the same, live by stereotypes.
They include, in the people close to me, some of my friends, my grandparents on my father's side, my father himself, some of my teachers...

Currently over 5 Billion people are so scared of their own mortality that they need to comfort themselves in baseless ideas about invisible creators living in the sky, and are controlled by this fear.

...i guess i am losing faith in humanity...is there anyone that has an argument as to why humanity is not really that bad ?
RE: Humanity makes me want to puke.;;help ?
The figure of 5bn is probably grossly overestimated, not by you but by polls and the like.

Many people claim to believe for reasons that are specific to them when really they don't.
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
That's the same line of argument as "The rape victim was asking for it". It is really is sickening how these things get rationalized.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Here's a trick for when you feel like you're losing faith in humanity: remind yourself that there are people as awesome (or at least nearly as awesome) as this man.
"Heresy is only another word for freedom of thought." - Graham Greene
"So forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here today." - Lawrence Krauss
(May 11, 2010 at 2:17 pm)Shinylight Wrote: The figure of 5bn is probably grossly overestimated, not by you but by polls and the like.

Many people claim to believe for reasons that are specific to them when really they don't.

i dont mean religious people. The vast majority of people i know "hope" there is a God and that leads them to believe in stuff like astrology...or often worse
(May 11, 2010 at 4:02 pm)Rwandrall Wrote:
(May 11, 2010 at 2:17 pm)Shinylight Wrote: The figure of 5bn is probably grossly overestimated, not by you but by polls and the like.

i dont mean religious people. The vast majority of people i know "hope" there is a God and that leads them to believe in stuff like astrology...or often worse

Homeopathy?

I hate people who fail to see the evidence just so they can hope.

There is no valid reason to be racist or homophobic, especially not religious reasons even though that is a common occurence.

(May 11, 2010 at 4:47 pm)Shinylight Wrote:
(May 11, 2010 at 4:02 pm)Rwandrall Wrote:

Homeopathy?

I hate people who fail to see the evidence just so they can hope.

There is no valid reason to be racist or homophobic, especially not religious reasons even though that is a common occurence.

I was thinking about healing crystals or so-called "alternative treatments"

For example, a few years ago, my mother got way into a juice that was supposed to cure diseases, infections, and even cancer or AIDS. It cost her a LOT of money because of course the magic juice is expensive.

Why can't people just go with what has evidence ?
(May 11, 2010 at 4:53 pm)Rwandrall Wrote: I was thinking about healing crystals or so-called "alternative treatments"

For example, a few years ago, my mother got way into a juice that was supposed to cure diseases, infections, and even cancer or AIDS. It cost her a LOT of money because of course the magic juice is expensive.

Why can't people just go with what has evidence ?

That is a shame.

People get caught up in their beliefs and it really can be quite costly and embarrassing.

Magic Juice :|

Quote:I know so many good people that are bigots, that hate Gays, Jews, Blacks, or other minorities for stupid reason and claim they all think alike, are all the same, live by stereotypes.
They include, in the people close to me, some of my friends, my grandparents on my father's side, my father himself, some of my teachers...

Consider this quotation.

Quote:You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.
Anne Lamott
Bertrand Russel Wrote:Many orthodox people speak as though it were the business of sceptics to disprove received dogmas rather than of dogmatists to prove them. This is, of course, a mistake. If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which do you want to go? Foxaèr 13 787 October 18, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Do people just naturally want conflict Ahriman 113 3729 September 26, 2023 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The story of Midas makes no sense Foxaèr 13 1150 April 27, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How do you view humanity in general? Ahriman 73 4483 October 2, 2021 at 11:09 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  Sometimes Humanity gives you a glimpse of hope no one 14 1402 July 28, 2021 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why does everyone want to advertise in their signature? Foxaèr 2 336 September 14, 2020 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Already want to change my name again Foxaèr 14 798 July 12, 2020 at 1:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Wink Want to read about my mom?? Clueless Morgan 2 649 April 5, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Are you the monster you want to be? Angrboda 48 2462 January 13, 2019 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  I want a nanny! ignoramus 2 413 November 14, 2018 at 7:33 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4