Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 4:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hey it's me
hey it's me
greetings from chicago!

i recently began labeling myself "atheist" (i don't think i've even said it out loud yet!) because i'm not crazy about the exclusivity of labels. i've held the beliefs i currently have, regarding religion and spirituality, for years now. i just never thought it mattered enough to say "athiest" or "nontheist" or "freethinker" or what-have-you. i still bristle a little at adhering to such a label since part of my distaste in religion lies in the sense of identity found by associating with an established group. i'm interested to hear what others have to say about this!

it's been a while since i've been active on message boards; i'm looking forward to getting to know some of you!!

-- ally
RE: hey it's me
Labels are unimportant.

We have a few theists around here who invent all sorts of labels for themselves but it doesn't matter.

They're all as crazy as fucking loons.

Howdy.
labels are unimportant.

thanks!
brza Wrote:i recently began labeling myself "atheist" (i don't think i've even said it out loud yet!) because i'm not crazy about the exclusivity of labels. i've held the beliefs i currently have, regarding religion and spirituality, for years now. i just never thought it mattered enough to say "athiest" or "nontheist" or "freethinker" or what-have-you. i still bristle a little at adhering to such a label since part of my distaste in religion lies in the sense of identity found by associating with an established group. i'm interested to hear what others have to say about this!

Welcome to the group that includes all of the non-sentient matter in the known universe. Smile This group also contains some of the most intelligent members of our species... go figure Sleepy

Quote:labels are unimportant.

Labels are imo quite nice... Sleepy
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Welcome! Atheist isn't really a label. If someone claims that god(s) exist and you say, "I don't believe that"... you are an atheist. If you say, "Yeah, I believe that, too"... you are a crazy person.
Welcome.

Fairy tales eh sounds kinda grimm to me.

See what I did there?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Labels are crazy. I've been called a 'temporalogical noncognitivist' before. Confused

Welcome to AF, I'm the resident cherry-supplier! *holds out basket of cherries* Would you like some? Big Grin
Welcome and great 1st post brrrrrrrrrrrzaaaaaaaaaaaa Smile

I agree completely. Groups suck. Free thinkers FTW! Big Grin
thanks, y'all!
Welcome!

To our little corner of the universe...

Tiny Tiger
I have a secret and it is down below!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post