Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FIANLLY rid of google's damn shopping tab!!
FIANLLY rid of google's damn shopping tab!!
On 31 May 2012 Google removed the "Product Search" feature, and has never returned it.

Finally I've worked out how to remove the Shopping links permanently (which SHOULD already be removed using uBlock0/Adblock in my opinion). Here is the rule:

Code:
! Code to remove Google Shopping links...
! Remove from main tab bar (no need to remove nth-of-type(1) as that would only display if you're already on the shopping tab)
google.ca,google.co.nz,google.co.uk,google.com.au,google.de,google.com##.hdtb-mitem > a[href*="&tbm=shop&"]
! Remove from tab bar drop-down
google.ca,google.co.nz,google.co.uk,google.com.au,google.de,google.com##.hdtb-mitem > .qs.q[href*="&tbm=shop&"]
! Remove from Google Apps drop-down
google.ca,google.co.nz,google.co.uk,google.com.au,google.de,google.com###gb6[href*="/shopping"]
! Remove (*unknown location...)
google.ca,google.co.nz,google.co.uk,google.com.au,google.de,google.com###gbmm[href*="&tbm=shop&"]
! Remove from the no-script tab-bar
google.ca,google.co.nz,google.co.uk,google.com.au,google.de,google.com##._Jhd._UXb[href*="&tbm=shop&"]
Edit: Updated.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: FIANLLY rid of google's damn shopping tab!!
(October 6, 2015 at 10:13 pm)Aractus Wrote: On 31 May 2012 Google removed the "Product Search" feature, and has never returned it.

Finally I've worked out how to remove the Shopping links permanently (which SHOULD already be removed using uBlock0/Adblock in my opinion).

What shopping links are you referring to?
[Image: dvulwrd.png]

Second from the left in that screenshot.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Wow, and I thought I was an ad-blocking fanatic.
(December 1, 2015 at 12:25 am)Aractus Wrote: [Image: dvulwrd.png]

Second from the left in that screenshot.

Why get rid of it? Isn't it easier just to not click it?
Because it's an ad, and like all the very worst ads it's integrated into the content without informing the users that it is an ad and not content. I.e. it's meant to look like it's a search function (which is what Product Search was), but it's a paid listing service similar to Yellow Pages with the exception that no one gets a basic listing for free.

No, it isn't an ad any more than a cactus is an automobole. It's a link which takes you to those things if you should so choose - imagine that, a link titled "Shopping" that will show you things that you might wish to buy, and someone else will certainly sell you. It's a tool for people who are looking for goods to purchase online.

There's a lot of reasons to criticize online advertising, this IMHO is not one of them.
Paid listings = advertising. It's not the product search feature, that was removed permanently from Google.

The ads bother me less than the tracking cookies.  I saw a report last night which showed that making a simple Google search is like flypaper for what amounts to spyware.
This was not the video but close enough.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/42239031/ns/bu...l5BZ7_m6RI

They recommended a proxy server or VPN.
I get it. You are fighting The Man™

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Google artificial intelligence razzes us! Eclectic 11 1681 November 5, 2022 at 11:14 am
Last Post: Eclectic
  Google Argentina's domain name bought by man for £2 zebo-the-fat 2 379 April 27, 2021 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Rid Myself of Search Encrypt! chimp3 2 294 May 12, 2019 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Is Firefox quantum really better than Google Chrome? ErGingerbreadMandude 19 3115 November 19, 2017 at 2:31 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Damn, they're over 30 years old and sound FUCKING GREAT !! vorlon13 4 937 September 14, 2016 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Publishing to Google Play bennyboy 8 1610 May 29, 2016 at 1:55 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Google PlaNET scoobysnack 18 2815 February 27, 2016 at 8:47 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  How to master Google Search Heat 12 2375 February 6, 2016 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: scoobysnack
  Google's Mobile-Friendly Test Driving Me Batty: What am I Doing Wrong? Rhondazvous 10 2815 August 14, 2015 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: Longhorn
  My android app on google play ! Back up your contacts to Email WinterHold 6 2114 January 4, 2015 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: fr0d0