Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 5:31 am

Poll: Are you a
This poll is closed.
Male
62.16%
23 62.16%
Female
37.84%
14 37.84%
Total 37 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Number of male vs female atheists?
Thumbs Up 
Number of male vs female atheists?
Out of sheer curiosity, I am curious if there are a (relatively) equal number or more male or female atheists? If there is a large disparity, why?
[Image: 08.jpg]
RE: Number of male vs female atheists?
So far the ratio is exactly equal.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
No anymore, suckas!!
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
Female.

Though I suspect the number of outspoken atheists who are male outnumber the female.
Dying to live, living to die.
There's a larger number of atheist activists who identify as male. I think that since atheism correlates with intelligence, high education and scientific knowledge, and traditionally those are traits/fields considered masculine and discouraged for women, that might have something to do with the potential lower number of atheist females - Submission is considered a virtue for feminine characteristics, and praying/worshiping fits well with submission.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

It would take a very brave woman from an Islamic country to find the courage to sign up here.
Maybe they're all blissfully happy serving their god and husband ? Who knows?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(October 8, 2015 at 6:46 pm)Dystopia Wrote: There's a larger number of atheist activists who identify as male. I think that since atheism correlates with intelligence, high education and scientific knowledge, and traditionally those are traits/fields considered masculine and discouraged for women, that might have something to do with the potential lower number of atheist females - Submission is considered a virtue for feminine characteristics, and praying/worshiping fits well with submission.

You're so smart.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
Male. Thankfully the females outlive us and can get away from the bullshit.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
AFO isn't a large enough statistical universe to make the results meaningful.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
That's what I thought earlier. A fun, interesting exercise perhaps, but little more than that.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 1903 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2168 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why are there less female atheists? Lebneni Murtad 45 8219 March 8, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The human male, Reason for all evil? fattychan 7 2392 April 12, 2015 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Is Female Pseudohermaphroditism a mental disease? Violet 7 3827 July 11, 2013 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: Magnum
  Number of atheists on the rise? And Muslims? Astronaut17 6 3704 May 2, 2013 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Kayenneh
  Theory number 3. Mystic 134 76491 October 29, 2012 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Angrboda