Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Understanding "Passive aggressive behavior"?
Understanding "Passive aggressive behavior"?
I never quite understand exactly what passive aggression is because I find the standard definitions vague and the examples everyone give seem to be very different. It's one thing I've never quite understood the concept of which is kind of weird really because I have grasped much deeper concepts.

Or is it just a very vague thing anyway?

What exactly is it and can we all come to an agreement of some classic examples of the behavior if there are any?

Additionally do you know anyone that is significantly passive aggressive or do you ever feel that you yourself particularly are?

And what is the mildest and severest examples you know of? How bad can it get and how mild can it also be?

I don't understand why understanding it slips past me but for whatever reason(s) it does.

Is it at all linked to self-sabotage or does it mainly affect others?

Is it a common trait or a rare trait? Anytime I google about it I am always dissatisfied in the info and I can never seem to find a general understanding of it that isn't completely disagreed with every other site I read up about it. I don't know - what do others think?

P.S. Is this concept incredibly simple and I just fail to understand because I am socially r-tarded in some way I wonder? lol
RE: Understanding "Passive aggressive behavior"?
I'm pretty passive aggressive. Its mostly down to laziness.
Getting up to beat my nephews repeatedly is exhausting. They get the gist if I just shake my fist at them then fall asleep.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
Hmm. I suppose I'd call it trying to control someone, or the situation, under the disguise of humility. Most often this seems intentional and I dislike it as it's dishonest.

I guess "overly playing the victim" is a common form.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Omg sooo tired of ppl with orange usernames

^passive aggressiveness c:
Hmm an example would be ....?

Neimenovic Wrote:Omg sooo tired of ppl with orange usernames

Isn't that just a non-serious complaint or something like that?
For example, saying in a quiet, sad voice, "You all go out and have fun, I'll be fine here all on my own."
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Ah... so is the meaning limited to stuff like that then? Getting what you want by self-deprecating?

Or is the definition frustratingly vastly more broad than that? Because what tends to bother me with grasping the concept is I am often given a ton of examples that are all so very different that I have trouble finding a common theme to exactly what it is. Sometimes it seems not even particularly passive to me but more like merely "indirect" aggressive but that is sooooooo fucking broad...
I've not heard it used in any other way that I can think of.

http://youtu.be/NHVRVFslme8

Index of my best videos
(October 11, 2015 at 1:22 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: Omg sooo tired of ppl with orange usernames

I am tired of people with cats on their avatar... Oh wait..
(October 11, 2015 at 1:23 pm)Evie Wrote: Hmm an example would be ....?

Neimenovic Wrote:Omg sooo tired of ppl with orange usernames

Isn't that just a non-serious complaint or something like that?

A vague comment that doesn't specifically name the person that is the object of the complaint made publicly to make the person it refers to feel hurt or awkward.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Understanding transgenderism. Jehanne 98 5087 May 1, 2021 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Understanding Narcissism Edwardo Piet 146 10127 August 25, 2016 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Okay, If Odd Rules Usually Reflect Prior Behavior Jenny A 8 1979 December 18, 2014 at 6:23 am
Last Post: abaris
  Self Sabotaging Behavior Edwardo Piet 4 1381 January 7, 2011 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Understanding one's anger Edwardo Piet 18 4634 September 16, 2010 at 7:59 am
Last Post: leo-rcc
  Understanding the British. Dotard 47 12472 June 30, 2010 at 1:59 am
Last Post: Loki_999