Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 7:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My thoughts on prayer
My thoughts on prayer
It's a useless and if it actually work it is the most selfish idea possibly imagined. The other  thing why bother praying for something
to happen and instead of being lazy try and actually accomplish something simple instead of praying on it. Praying it is the most
lazy concept of getting something done. It's like saying my car is broke down  i'll pray for someone to help or even i pray for this cold
to go away or you get the gist of it is lazy but.. if it makes you feel better go on and go ahead pray.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
RE: My thoughts on prayer
I don't know if prayer is completely useless. It's an opportunity to vent your thoughts about something specific and try to consider them from a different perspective. Christians think god is good and they think he wants them to be good and unselfish and loving and honest and a number of other things. Prayer may not do what it claims to do but it isn't completely useless.
The one nice thing about prayer (if you believe when you do it), is that it gives you a false sense of hope in hopeless situations. And I think a false sense of hope can be a good thing. It's like a placebo. It makes you feel better because you believe it will make you feel better.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(October 13, 2015 at 12:56 am)Losty Wrote: I don't know if prayer is completely useless. It's an opportunity to vent your thoughts about something specific and try to consider them from a different perspective. Christians think god is good and they think he wants them to be good and unselfish and loving and honest and a number of other things. Prayer may not do what it claims to do but it isn't completely useless.
The one nice thing about prayer (if you believe when you do it), is that it gives you a false sense of hope in hopeless situations. And I think a false sense of hope can be a good thing. It's like a placebo. It makes you feel better because you believe it will make you feel better.

i agree  with you on the false sense of hope in hopeless situations but using prayer in  any other means i mean like over small stuff like trying to win the lottery yeah that is highly unlikely.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Do Christians pray to win the lottery? I certainly never did that as a Christian. I figured that was an insult to god to pray over such a thing. I suppose some Christians probably do.

0/10

"One hand working is more productive than a thousand clasped in prayer" or something like that.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(October 13, 2015 at 1:03 am)Kitan Wrote: "One hand working is more productive than a thousand clasped in prayer" or something like that.

It depends on what they're praying/working for.

0/10

Well, praying as in talking to yourself and processing your thoughts, sure, good practice.

Praying instead of actually doing something.....like, I don't know, getting treatment for easily preventable diseases....terrifying. And insane.
Prayer is not meant to "wish" for things. But to be thankful for what you have.
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
(October 13, 2015 at 10:49 am)lkingpinl Wrote: Prayer is not meant to "wish" for things. But to be thankful for what you have.

But oh so many use it as a method of asking for spiritual alms.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(October 13, 2015 at 10:53 am)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote:
(October 13, 2015 at 10:49 am)lkingpinl Wrote: Prayer is not meant to "wish" for things.  But to be thankful for what you have.

But oh so many use it as a method of asking for spiritual alms.

I'm well aware of that, I was just clarifying.
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Serious question about thoughts on theists Kingpin 118 6620 May 18, 2023 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  On the lunacy of prayer slartibartfast 100 5609 October 12, 2021 at 12:17 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Global Prayer To End Atheism Foxaèr 60 7775 August 25, 2021 at 8:20 am
Last Post: Brian37
  A prayer to God ... ignoramus 10 1050 May 3, 2019 at 11:17 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question about prayer. purplepurpose 27 5701 October 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Theistic thoughts Foxaèr 3 923 May 26, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  What are your thoughts on this GODZILLA 20 4458 April 2, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: GODZILLA
  What do you think prayer is? vulcanlogician 44 6112 February 2, 2018 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Thoughts on Hell? SisterAgatha 251 52846 October 30, 2017 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  What are your thoughts on this? NuclearEnergy 28 6507 July 28, 2017 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Astonished