Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WARNING!!!
WARNING!!!
So as much as try not to offend anyone,is it just me or are trigger warnings simply ridiculous? Like can some please explain why on earth anyone needs to be warned about an article or video?
RE: WARNING!!!
Might have bewbs.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(October 15, 2015 at 7:51 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: So as much as try not to offend anyone,is it just me or are trigger warnings simply ridiculous? Like can some please explain why on earth anyone needs to be warned about an article or video?

Some topics, especially with photos, are disproportionately upsetting to some people compared to others. It's just a courtesy. I don't know that I'd want to post something that requires a trigger warning, but that's just me. I know a couple of people who suffer from PTSD, and it's no joke. I wouldn't want to do that to someone.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
In case children are around and you didn't catch on that it wasn't PG.

Other than that it's just for "la la la I'm not listening to him say shit... why didn't he say poopy?! WHY didn't he say poopy?!" types of people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFr6P2BtE3k
I'm undecided about trigger warnings.  I agree with content warnings for children.  -- Maybe even if there are adults who don't want to hear foul language, or see violent images, a warning is a good thing.  We want some degree of control over our media.  I also appreciate a good synopsis of what a TV show or movie is about.

As an abuse survivor, I rely on those . . . I can be pretty emotionally affected by images of violence, rape, child abuse, etc.  So if I'm not alone, I try to find a way to avoid what's on the television.  I go wash dishes, run an errand, etc.   But the flip side, you see, is that protection from something offensive can be a bad thing.  If I'm alone, I often force myself to watch.  Because that makes a person face their reactions.  Often the "only way out is through".  

The negative side of trigger warnings relates to this over-protection.  Take the recent cases of college students that have sued universities over reading lists.   One memorable case was a student protesting Alison Bechdel's "Fun Home".  They were objecting to one panel (it's in cartoon form) showing a lesbian sexual situation.  It's a good book, I read it, it asks a lot of questions about communication, depression, the psychology of being closeted, etc.  But now there are (in college!) demands for alternative reading lists and trigger warnings whenever something just might be offensive to someone.   These college kids need to grow up, to see the multi-ethnic and cultural world around them and interact with it, and not go out into the business world still wearing safe fuzzy blinders.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
God damn it. Why didn't you assholes warn me about this thread?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Yes, the PTSD thing. It is just a courtesy like they said. I hate to see abused animals, and it's disturbing when it's in my face, without the choice to click on something or not. Pops up on my fb page, I tend to block those people. I'm aware it happens, I don't need to witness it.
It would be the same with anything gory.

Women who have been abused, veterans, some content can ruin someone's day. Or more. Images can bring back terrible memories and be harmful.

Just my opinion.
[Image: dc52deee8e6b07186c04ff66a45fd204.jpg]
Just the other day, on CBS, a news anchor solemnly intoned that the upcoming video was graphic and viewers should be advised.  They then ran a video of some guy running in Jerusalem and you hear shots.  Then they cut away.  She then says, "we stopped the tape before the gruesome part."

SO WHY THE FUCKING WARNING?
Damn, I should have warnings on almost everything I post here.

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

If you don't like what I say, fuck off.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The New Warning Label on Ammo onlinebiker 4 578 December 4, 2021 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Will I get a final written warning? Cod 36 2876 October 2, 2019 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Warning! Feed your pets well! ignoramus 16 2030 December 17, 2017 at 11:15 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  lol, got my first warning on a religious forum Foxaèr 18 1895 October 23, 2017 at 11:04 pm
Last Post: c172
  Let's talk about Primer[Warning Spoilers] dyresand 9 1761 March 2, 2016 at 3:38 am
Last Post: Heat
  Warning for those who use facebook... IanHulett 3 1170 July 16, 2015 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: IanHulett
  Forum game: I come with a warning Foxaèr 51 4498 May 15, 2015 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: Jericho
  My psycho mom that likes to spy on me just took away my TV without ANY warning! andrea2687 15 2611 October 21, 2014 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  My psycho mom just took away my purse with all my belongings without ANY warning! jashleygirl 65 11903 August 5, 2014 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Warning! Lek 9 1969 February 5, 2014 at 12:00 am
Last Post: Lek