Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Guy on the Block
New Guy on the Block
Hello!
First, I hope everybody is having a great weekend. As for myself, I'm bachin' it tonite. Got some classic rock cranked up, a fair dose of marijahooneeywannaa........ INSTANT KARMA!! I haven't heard this one in years!!!!!!!!!
John Lennon is still coooool!

OK, where was I?
Oh, yeah! I'm new here right? So, I should share my story about how I became an atheist. All right, here goes.....

I was raised Protestant, with fairly liberal parents. So, I never had the bible beaten into me. I was always inclined to ask questions, and encouraged to do so. Which lead eventually to agnosticism, and more questions.

But, what really sealed the deal for my atheism happened the first Sunday after the bushco regime invaded Iraq in '03. I was still pretty churchy then, trying to carry on traditional family dynamics and all, ya know! In fact, I even read the OT lesson that day, and I really wish I could remember what it was, but I don't. Maybe because by then I really didn't take biblical scripture very seriously, if at all, so I really didn't care? Anyway, the pastor (I should mention he was also active duty Nat'l Guard at the time as well) began his sermon by agreeing with the bushco regime's decision to invade Iraq. Before he could say more, I stood up and started to leave. He called me by name and asked what was wrong. I turned, looked at him, and said, "When a man of god preaches in support of an illegitimate war being waged on the lies and deceit of an illegitimate president, then it's time for me to reconsider my faith!"
Everyone in the church gasped. The pastor didn't respond. And out the door I went.

When I got  home, I opened the bible and began reading, right from Genesis 1, hoping to keep an open and objective mind. In all honesty, it was a tad  emotionally uncomfortable losing my faith. After all, it had been a significant part of my life since before memory. But, the story in the bible sounded like a Tolkeinesque tale, only not nearly as engrossing. Or believable.
Anyway, the more I thought about it, the more at peace I became with my newfound atheism. And, I don't worry about this imaginary place called hell anymore. (I think I work there, anyhow.)

I'm looking forward to participating in the discussions here. For now, I wish you all a great weekend!
RE: New Guy on the Block
Welcome.

Have a great weekend yourself
Dying to live, living to die.
Welcome.  Bong

I think that's the first positive story I've ever heard involving the Bush administration.
Welcome matey...
We tend to be atheists for more technical/logical reasons but whatever works man!
You're here now, that's the main thing...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Very nice theatrical conversion story Tongue

Welcome!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Hey there, welcome!

That's a really great story, thanks for sharing with us. Good for you and standing up for what's right!

I'm the same, it doesn't matter if "god" exists, if it's standing by and wanking while all this shit goes on in the world, I'm none too impressed with it. It just so happens that the very idea of god is a load of nonsense in the first place.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(October 16, 2015 at 12:31 am)Rebel Wrote: When I got  home, I opened the bible and began reading, right from Genesis 1, hoping to keep an open and objective mind. In all honesty, it was a tad  emotionally uncomfortable losing my faith. After all, it had been a significant part of my life since before memory. But, the story in the bible sounded like a Tolkeinesque tale, only not nearly as engrossing. Or believable.

there is a difference between not believing in God and not believing in religion . religion did not create God it only created a bunch of disconnected stories passed and changed throughout the generations to please whatever government or church or culture wanted it to be . I do hope you find God someday but im so happy you escaped your religion as many do .

welcome Shy
Imagine there's no heaven It's easy if you try No hell below us Above us only sky Imagine all the people Living for today   FSM Grin   Imagine there's no countries It isn't hard to do Nothing to kill or die for And no religion too Imagine all the people Living life in peace You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you will join us And the world will be as one  - John Lennon

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also  - Mark Twain
Welcome, Reb.
Welcome!
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Welcome!

Does Rebel go with anything? (with out a cause, yell, galaxy, .......) Or like the cheese, do you stand alone?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New guy here Roykok 8 1100 November 10, 2022 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New guy DarkerEnergy 21 2156 January 18, 2017 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Hello, new guy here Casca 13 2120 October 14, 2016 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: brewer
  A new guy SuperSlayer 17 1941 July 2, 2016 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: Spirian
  New Guy Here. Hello. The Atheist 27 3158 March 30, 2016 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: brewer
  New guy Muad·Dib 39 6757 July 19, 2015 at 6:19 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Hello! New guy on the block here~~~ Preston Tsunami 11 1636 April 30, 2015 at 6:06 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  New Guy Here! GuardianAtheist 19 2400 April 22, 2015 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: ajarnfalang
  New Guy Vox Populi 25 3716 February 26, 2015 at 6:15 pm
Last Post: Vox Populi
  New guy, again Pablo 16 2820 December 10, 2014 at 2:58 am
Last Post: Kitty Galore