Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 7:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems in school
Problems in school
This is a bit random but I just want to get it off my chest. It's been just over a month in my new school and to be fair It's been fucking hard. I knew it wasn't going to be easy but I never suspected it's going to be this hard. I go to a class with 'extended' maths, physics and computing/IT it just means I have these subjects more frequently and have slightly harder topics. Basically my grades are terrible. In Poland you have grades 1-6, where 1 is a fail and 6 is the highest. I have two fails in maths and one fail in physics and the rest are between 2-4. I'm scared that I won't pass this class and will have to reapeat it. My grades have never been this bad, I have no idea what is going on. My main sturggle is understanding all the terminology (bearing in mind I lived in England for 10 years). My parents have told the teachers this and they said that they understand and that they will help, but that's just not the case. If anything they are making life harder for me. For example we had chemistry homework so I spoke to my chemistry teacher after school and I told her that I missed a lot of education in Poland and that I struggle with chemistry, to which she said "That's fine, if you have a problem come to me and I'll help". So I filled out most of the homework and I missed out two questions where you had to calculate a percentage of particles in chemicals or something along those lines. So before lessons I went to my chemistry teacher and asked if she could help with it, she just shouted at me and gave me a fail. This kind of stuff happens on a regular basis. The thing that frustrates me the most is that I concentrate as hard as I can and I always study at home as hard as I can, yet I still fail. Oh, and I forgot to mention that high school in Poland isn't mandatory so teachers don't have to help you if they don't want to so if you're struggling you're fucked.
I've talked to my parents about this and they suggested private school where they HAVE to help you if you're struggling and just in general the teachers are better. Personally I'm kind of torn on this because I need help and want help but at the same time I don't want to change school again(the school I go to atm is considered one of the best in my city). Next week I am starting math, physics, and chemistry tutition so maybe that'll help but if it doesn't I think I might change school.
Do any of you have any suggestions?
Humanity's downfall is a trust in a God that isn't there.

The Acacia Strain-Our lady of perpetual sorrow
RE: Problems in school
There are some awesome resources at Kahn Academy for help with maths/science, among other subjects.

Also, you have a particle physicist, several IT professionals, and some engineers here to help you if they can (don't want to volunteer everyone, but in the past this community has been effusive in its support for difficult maths problems, physics problems, etc.)

There are awesome lecture series on YouTube that cover specific topics, some of them are just glorious nerds on the internet that love science and like to share concepts in layman's terms to help people.

I am sure able to help if you need some. Of the subjects you mentioned, maths and the fluid dynamics portion of physics are my fields. My degree is in aeronautical engineering. I am also fluent in Python and Basic (and also VB but no one cares about that... Tongue)

I am always free to help. It might take me a couple of hours, but not more than that. You can PM me if you need my attention right away.

Maybe this could be the "Help Peterski with Homework" thread!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I never went to school for more than a year from age 5-6 and somehow I managed.
The Best School might not be the best for you. It happens. Go to a place where you are comfortable because knowledge takes priority over labels, don't bother with labels till you get to the college or university level.

If you are having a hard time with any homework or concepts, just post here and we will help. Smile
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(October 17, 2015 at 11:23 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: There are some awesome resources at Kahn Academy for help with maths/science, among other subjects.

Also, you have a particle physicist, several IT professionals, and some engineers here to help you if they can (don't want to volunteer everyone, but in the past this community has been effusive in its support for difficult maths problems, physics problems, etc.)

There are awesome lecture series on YouTube that cover specific topics, some of them are just glorious nerds on the internet that love science and like to share concepts in layman's terms to help people.

I am sure able to help if you need some. Of the subjects you mentioned, maths and the fluid dynamics portion of physics are my fields. My degree is in aeronautical engineering. I am also fluent in Python and Basic (and also VB but no one cares about that... Tongue)

I am always free to help. It might take me a couple of hours, but not more than that. You can PM me if you need my attention right away.

Maybe this could be the "Help Peterski with Homework" thread!

YES!  I was just about to suggest Khan Academy...they are excellent.

I am not strong in maths, myself, otherwise I would offer help.

Do try the Khan Academy webpage...and search YouTube for their videos.
Is there a school counselor you could talk to? Sounds like you need an advocate.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(October 17, 2015 at 12:38 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Is there a school counselor you could talk to?  Sounds like you need an advocate.

I don't really know any but I guess I could try and look for one
Humanity's downfall is a trust in a God that isn't there.

The Acacia Strain-Our lady of perpetual sorrow
Another option is a tutor. It can be a professional or even another student. The one on one time helped my son with some struggles he was having in math. His tutor was a student 2 grades ahead on him. The kid needed the money and was very enthusiastic and supportive.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I'm sorry to hear that! I have physics and maths degrees. If you make a question thread with urgent problems, I will answer when I have time. You can also pm me any time.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

That really sucks Sad What's the point of having a school if the teachers aren't obliged to help you?

I also have a degree in maths and I'm happy to help with that side of things if I can.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I went to the wrong kind of school. onlinebiker 5 445 April 20, 2022 at 3:26 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Any of you attend a Christian University/high school. What were your thoughts? Atomic Lava 19 2140 November 20, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Atomic Lava
  Excell high school fake or not fake viocjit 13 1546 February 4, 2019 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: viocjit
  First World problems getting you down? We're here for support. ignoramus 68 7339 June 18, 2018 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Tomato plant problems popeyespappy 33 1960 May 31, 2018 at 7:46 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Having such a hard time in High School right now Distheist 7 1136 March 24, 2018 at 1:54 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  My boring thread: An update on school Joods 93 10464 May 2, 2016 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Can I get some help with school Heat 48 8043 December 21, 2015 at 6:29 am
Last Post: Alex K
  First world problems Lemonvariable72 54 5973 September 7, 2015 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Anyone else having problems replying to threads? downbeatplumb 18 2787 August 24, 2015 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: brewer